Coming back to ML...need some recommendations

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coolcobramatt

Reaction score
Funny but I get in a bind financially and sell my ML's only to come back as soon as the smoke clears. I guess they mean more than musical bliss to me, they are a true good investment for me as well.

I've owned Vistas, SL3's, and Aeon i's, loved them all and now sold my Paradigm Studio Reference 100 V3's and ready to jump back into my ML's again. My budget is $1500 +/- (yes I know it's not much) but with limited research I think I get into a Vista if I am patient. My question for you all is what option would you consider the most attractive and do you know of any site members possibly looking to sell currently? I've been away from ML for a year or two so I am not up on the most recent models or changes in ownership, etc.

The other models I've been looking at, well under my budget, are Source, Purity, Clarity, and the newer Electromotion. I'm guessing spending the extra cash and getting Vistas are the way to go but I respect everyone's opinion on here and wanted to get it before making the jump. Do I look at an older Aeon/Ascent/etc or go for the newer versions? I remember hearing bigger tends to be better but here we go again!

My current power is still my old faithful Musical Fidelity A300 integrated and I'm basically a two channel only listener. 75% movies and the rest dvd-audio.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Vista for sure if you can get the b stocks or barley used ones that were purchased for the 2K deal for $1800. If not the electromotions often go for around $1500 and they sound fantastic and do not require as much power to get the juice going in the bass dep. I am slack jawed by the deals I see on the ML source these days. I have both the Vista and source se's and the source in a small room are just fantastic, I use my source as surrounds right now

Vista for sure if you can get the b stocks or barley used ones that were purchased for the 2K deal for $1800. If not the electromotions often go for around $1500 and they sound fantastic and do not require as much power to get the juice going in the bass dep. I am slack jawed by the deals I see on the ML source these days. I have both the Vista and source se's and the source in a small room are just fantastic, I use my source as surrounds right now

If you see any Vistas for a good price, pm me if you can. In my limited search over the last few days, I've only found one set on Agon. Shipping is killing me on just about everything. Very few ML owners in my area, which translates into a used set of any for sale being ultra rare.

Vistas are great, but if you look around very hard, you might find a pre-loved pair of Vantages...

I saw a pre loved pair for $2300 a few weeks ago, I think the Vantages are the best for HT with the punishing bass and thats something the Vista lack

I would also recommend Vantage. The active ML's really are a step up. Not only in the bass, as the amplifier is less stressed. The 34 Hz control on the Vantages is a huge advantage. Makes it much easier to get flat and tuneful bass with boom.

I would also recommend Vantage. The active ML's really are a step up. Not only in the bass, as the amplifier is less stressed. The 34 Hz control on the Vantages is a huge advantage. Makes it much easier to get flat and tuneful bass with boom.

If you guys know of a set of Vantages closer to my budget send me a link. I loved my Vistas and would love to own Vantages. I've seen the $2300 set but that's way out of my budget. Seems like a premium price too but maybe I am wrong. What is the price range for used Vantages?

I'm always wondering what others think would be better: vantage or vista with a high quality pair of monoblocks or stereo amp (biased into class A) to drive the woofers (instead of class D internal amp modules in Vantage)? The price difference between the two speakers is about $800 (used) to $1500 (new) and in that price range you can pick up some decent amps to drive the Vista's bass.
In my case, I got great result using the Monarchy SM70 Pros to drive the woofers of my Vistas. Tight and very well controlled yet deep bass. The lower midrange is warm and integrated well with the panels.
One of the advantage of the Vantage is you can control/adjust the bass level to you liking and environment. However, IMHO, if you select carefully and bi amp Vista with good amps I think it might sound better than the vantage. I have heard the vantage and ethos bass (in showrooms though, not in my system) and didn't really like it as much compared to mine, a little loose and bloomy for my taste.

Last edited:
Ok, if if I decide to go under budget (for once) and put a little bit back into savings, are there any huge differences between the Source and the new Electromotions?

I see Sources selling for 800-900 consistently but I have also found a set of Electromotions for $1100 if I can get the guy to ship. Vistas and Vantages are slim pickings right now. I can pick up entry levels for almost $1000 less. Opinions?

Ok, if if I decide to go under budget (for once) and put a little bit back into savings, are there any huge differences between the Source and the new Electromotions?

I see Sources selling for 800-900 consistently but I have also found a set of Electromotions for $1100 if I can get the guy to ship. Vistas and Vantages are slim pickings right now. I can pick up entry levels for almost $1000 less. Opinions?

Is it just me, or do Electromotions really sound as underwhelming as I think they do? In a relatively small room (12' x 16'), no amount of fidling around with positioning could produce an acceptable sound. Hollow, tiney, very bass shy, etc...

Is it just me, or do Electromotions really sound as underwhelming as I think they do? In a relatively small room (12' x 16'), no amount of fidling around with positioning could produce an acceptable sound. Hollow, tiney, very bass shy, etc...

Good question as I haven't heard any. There are no ML dealers within 4 hours of me unfortunately and Best Buy here doesn't carry them here. All ML's I've bought in the past I've bought purely on rep, and I have yet to be let down thankfully.

I would love to find a set of Vantages but I've only found two and both outside my budget. I am hoping someone on here knows of a set that are shippable and closer to my price range.

I have never seen any Vantages in your price range without shipping lol

Sorry I should clarify that..when I said "shippable" I meant someone who would ship. I would be adding shipping to my purchase price budget if a set popped up :cool:

I did find a set of mint Theos I can get into for $3000 shipped in that wild Zebra wood finish. But that would entail financing a chunk of change, which I am trying to stay away from.

What do you think the current resale value is for a set of Vantages? I sold my Vistas two years ago for $1600 and thought it was fair. I expected a Vantage nowadays would run 1800-2000? Am I way off?

Last edited:

I never compared my Source and EM ESL's directly. Mostly what I remember is the EM ESL's are more rock/metal friendly than the Source. The EM ESL's seemed to have a tad more bass. I was happy with the Source as my mains and I'm happy with the EM ESL's as my mains currently.

My living room is 20' x 12.5' and that doesn't describe the sound the EM ESL's make in my room. Crappy room maybe? Defective speakers?

Sorry I should clarify that..when I said "shippable" I meant someone who would ship. I would be adding shipping to my purchase price budget if a set popped up :cool:

I did find a set of mint Theos I can get into for $3000 shipped in that wild Zebra wood finish. But that would entail financing a chunk of change, which I am trying to stay away from.

What do you think the current resale value is for a set of Vantages? I sold my Vistas two years ago for $1600 and thought it was fair. I expected a Vantage nowadays would run 1800-2000? Am I way off?

Theos should be your target. Why do you not wait and save up a bit more and get the Theos which are a major step-up over the Electromotions. Have you heard them? They are amazing.

Theos should be your target. Why do you not wait and save up a bit more and get the Theos which are a major step-up over the Electromotions. Have you heard them? They are amazing.

No I haven't, there are no dealers within hours of me. I'm shying away from spending twice my budget or otherwise I would pull the trigger (if there was a 18 same as cash deal somewhere I would have jumped as well).

A set of Odysseys have come into the picture for $1700. I have zero experience with these, anyone have any thoughts? Are these priced right, too high, too low?

Well Northy...I ended up going with your recommendation, the Theos. Found a helluva deal on a set new in the box and 36 mo same as cash. Being the broke sucker I am, I could not pass that up.

Very nice choice, and I think it was the best option for sure. After the break in, would you inform as to how different they are from the Vistas you used to own? I'm more than a little curious.

Very nice choice, and I think it was the best option for sure. After the break in, would you inform as to how different they are from the Vistas you used to own? I'm more than a little curious.

I would be glad to. I'm told by another site member these do take quite awhile to break in so I may try and leave them playing for a few days while I am at work. I was wanting Vantages originally so I am hoping these will not disappoint. I loved my SL3's and Vistas but my Aeon i's were a little step backwards (not much but enough to not want another set).

Very good to hear that you are happy with the Theos.

I heard a pair during Easter in Oxford. They are very good. I still prefer my Vantage as I find they have better bass. That said, I was really impressed with what the Theos are capable of in that department. For a pasive speaker with that cabinet size, their bass performance really defies belief!

- And that zebrawood finish is just sooo cool!

Back