CLX odyssey begins.... now!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My eyes aren't what they used to be. Perhaps, is Sheldon a descendent from the Isle of Malta?

Great dogs! The wife and I have a twelve year old named Shelby. Sadly, her companion, Skeeter, is no longer with us.

My condolences re: Skeeter's passing. Losing a family member, regardless of species, is a terrible thing.

Yes, indeed, Sheldon informs me that he is in fact descended from a long line of Maltese K-9 royalty. His monarchical behavior here would certainly tend to confirm his assertion.

You know now that I think of it my luck has been nothing but terrible with speakers in the last few months.

I shipped some ML vantages 6 months ago and one panel was damaged during shipping. (UPS)

I then got a Electronic drum set amp (simmons) and that showed up all damaged. (UPS)

I then got ML Spires delivered in absolute perfect condition (Fed-ex)

I then did not receive my CLX due to damage (Freight)

I got a new 42" Plazma TV delivered with a shattered screen (UPS)

I then Did not get my ML Sub due to damage (UPS)

Well guess which one i am using to ship my Spires! You guessed it Fed-Ex.

Last edited:
I've had good luck with Fed Ex Ground shipping and it usually costs less than UPS.

True for packages up to a certain size, but their freight charges can't compete with the Yellows and similar. But I guess what many of us are finding out the hard way is - you really do get what you pay for.

FEDEX is less convenient for me... but moving forward, they will be my package courier of choice (until they eff things up too)

Fedex caused major damage to several pieces of artwork that I have had shipped in over the years. It is all a crap shoot.

Hey -- I've got an idea... I live in Michigan... I'll drive to Chicago pick up your CLX's - bring them to my house -- listen to them for a couple of weeks -- then we will need someone either in Canada to take them up to Maine .. or one of our Ohio folks to take them and give them a listen along the way.... I think you would be ahead in the end??? :)

One other thought on this.... You don't suppose do you.... that your dealer is using your CLX's to demo to clients right now to make more sales DO YOU???????? I'm sorry - but when strange things like this happen ..... Just wondering if they ever had CLX's on the floor or not... Most places now don't even carry the upper end line because they don't want to pay whatever it is they pay to stock them..... If someone pays for them - what a great opportunity to try to make more sales off of the original sale..... Just an evil thought.... sorry...

Last edited:
Hey -- I've got an idea... I live in Michigan... I'll drive to Chicago pick up your CLX's - bring them to my house -- listen to them for a couple of weeks -- then we will need someone either in Canada to take them up to Maine .. or one of our Ohio folks to take them and give them a listen along the way.... I think you would be ahead in the end??? :)

One other thought on this.... You don't suppose do you.... that your dealer is using your CLX's to demo to clients right now to make more sales DO YOU???????? I'm sorry - but when strange things like this happen ..... Just wondering if they ever had CLX's on the floor or not... Most places now don't even carry the upper end line because they don't want to pay whatever it is they pay to stock them..... If someone pays for them - what a great opportunity to try to make more sales off of the original sale..... Just an evil thought.... sorry...

such a thing would be tantamount to abduction and other more ghastly unmentionable acts of depravity.

I'm close to I-90 on the Ohio route. I'd glady serve as a rest stop for the CLX's on their way to Maine. :D

Hopefully when they finally do ship, the truck doesn't run in to one of our famous lake effect storms that strand cars and trucks between here and Buffalo.

I'm close to I-90 on the Ohio route. I'd glady serve as a rest stop for the CLX's on their way to Maine. :D

Hopefully when they finally do ship, the truck doesn't run in to one of our famous lake effect storms that strand cars and trucks between here and Buffalo.

I'm starting to buy into this idea of a slow hand-off between like-minded audiophiles. At least I know the speakers would be treated with TLC all the way.

On the "storm-front" possibility... You're probably right! I have a real concern about that, especially since we're potentially in for a doozy early next week which should be about the same time the CLXs cross the state line inbound. Well, at least I'll have a good story to tell about how I had to chip the speakers out of giant cartoonish blocks of ice.

Received this email from my dealer 5 minutes ago:

"Pallet came today speakers leave monday"

So, I'll either be having a merry little Christmas, or a blue one. I want to be that guy who sees the cup half-full... really, but I have my doubts.

Informal poll - Choose one of the following:

a) They will indeed arrive pre-Santa in perfect condition

b) They will arrive prior to midnight Dec 24th, but in some manner abused from their journey - partially or not at all recognizable.

c) They will be held captive in some climate-uncontrolled holding cell through next weekend and not granted release until the week of December 27th... or even later (but unscathed and ready for service)

d) Late and smashed

e) They don't really exist

f) None of "this" really exists... dream and waking states inverted

Last edited:
I vote A!
Since there just has to be a change of luck/pace here.

Well they'd better bl**dy come soon cos I'm looking forward to the pics and all those expletive superlatives...:D:eek:;):rocker:

ah good - so they are done demoing them for other customers.... Great... It will be 'A'... You are fine.... In any case, your dealer owes you because they let the pallet slip away or whatever.... I mean what did you pay for these puppies.... 20K? I have forgotten what CLX's cost because I would never go there... How many pairs of 20K speakers do you think they sell per year? They should be giving you 'free stuff'.....If it were me - that is what I would do because you are obviously an awesome customer that is going to be looking at other things in the future... other expensive things to go with your expensive speakers.... :) Wonder what the margin is on these.... And they wonder why people purchase from the internet and don't support the brick and mortar stores....

ah good - so they are done demoing them for other customers.... Great... It will be 'A'... You are fine.... In any case, your dealer owes you because they let the pallet slip away or whatever.... I mean what did you pay for these puppies.... 20K? I have forgotten what CLX's cost because I would never go there... How many pairs of 20K speakers do you think they sell per year? They should be giving you 'free stuff'.....If it were me - that is what I would do because you are obviously an awesome customer that is going to be looking at other things in the future... other expensive things to go with your expensive speakers.... :) Wonder what the margin is on these.... And they wonder why people purchase from the internet and don't support the brick and mortar stores....

Under very special double-secret probationary measures, my cost was <<<20K.

While I don't know the actual build cost for CLX, it's fairly standard practice for retail to run about 2X what the dealer pays. I worked in the repair shop of a local hifi dealer* back in the 90s, so there's some familiarity with the typical brick'n'morter hifi mark-up. While my dealer is making a darn good profit off this deal, it's far from the normal padding. But then, this is why he gets my repeat business (and similar repeat business from many others). He's a volume kinda guy.

It is this discount that reveals, in part, my higher-than-usual degree of tolerance for what has been a less than expedient delivery (going on 5 weeks now).

Also, thanks for the positive vibes all. Hopefully the coffins will arrive just in time for Jesus's birthday (how's that for a jolly juxtaposition?)... let's just hope that the burial-boxes aren't delayed out till Easter :eek: (sacred <> secular associations notwithstanding).

Cheers all!

* - is there anything more aggravating than restringing a poorly designed linear tuner frequency indicator inside a crowded receiver from days of yore? I submit there is not.

-

Attachments

• Smiley+Face_SantaHat.jpg
    Smiley+Face_SantaHat.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 290
Hey Todd,

My CLX are supposedly shipping Monday from ML to the Dealer, then dealer to me....we'll see.....

Hey Todd,

My CLX are supposedly shipping Monday from ML to the Dealer, then dealer to me....we'll see.....

Here... just a little shipping spell to help things along:

"Hear us oh spirits of the ethereal netherworld (specifically you jokers on freight detail)! We beseech thee to protect that which is most sacred - deliver to us unharmed those spars of clarity, those gossamer panels of transparent fidelity. Vindico CLX sospes quod in vicis"

There, that should do it.;)

Attachments

• imagesCAVTTSIY.jpg
    imagesCAVTTSIY.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 274
Last edited:
Back