CLSii honest opinions from owners

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You have received some valuable and informative advice from members on this forum. I can add my 2 cents...
I have the CLS 1a version. I purchased them approximately 11 years ago with brand new panels for 1300.00.
Back then replacement panels were reasonable. I was lucky enough to get a spare set of panels ( still in their shipping boxes currently ) from ML for around 1300.00 before they jacked up their prices to the current prices.

My opinion is that even at 2500.00 for replacement panels they are an amazing speaker and I would find it hard to find a comparable speaker in that price range...

My initial system with the CLS's was a Krell KSA250 and Krell KBL preamp. I was and still am using the Martin Logan Descent sub. I find it a good match though some prefer the Depth.
I was not please with the sound I was getting from this combination of electronics. I sold the Krell KSA 250 and tried a McIntosh MC275 MkIV in its place... better but still not there. I sold the Krell KBL and replaced it with a McIntosh C2200 Preamp... This combo worked!! I was experiencing a bit of harshness in the midrange as others noted with the Krell gear and this solved the problem for me. I am using balanced cables for connections between the preamp and amp.

About this time Jeff Dorgay from Tone Publications wanted to audition a CLS system for his "retro" section of his publication and after meeting Jeff I was lucky enough to audition and write a few articles for him. Because of this I have had the luxury of auditioning a Sanders amp in my system.. It was very good and drove the CLS's with ease. I still preferred the sound from the McIntosh electronics until..... I had the good fortune to get a pair of McIntosh MC1.2K amps into my system.
This was the keeper and I have this setup now... I still have the MC275 tube amp and can swap amps quickly for the occasions where I want a warmer more laid back sound. The MC275 still amazes me how good it sounds for an amp design that is over 50 years old and it is a good match for the CLS's... The MC1.2K's beat it in the midrange detail and of course power and clarity when you listen at louder volumes.
The CLS's sound great at lower volume levels and have the uncanny ability to sound larger, fuller and create a deep soundstage as the volume is increased without the harshness and "shouting" that some speakers tend to portray.

As a former owner of CLSiiZ's I miss them. They were easy to drive, and sounded "best" with Manley's flagship Ref 450 monoblock tube amps mated with a pair of Genesis 900 subs- Okay, it was 1999. I've never had better sound in my system. Solid state amps like a Plinius SA 100 Mkiii was another match made in heaven.

I agree completely, that even at $2500 for replacement panels, name other speakers today that will compare as favorably. That $2500 price for replacement panels only seems astronomical because for over a decade we were spoiled rotten with an $800 replacement cost for a new set. Jim Powers to the rescue...those were the daze.

I've since down graded room size in retirement, and now I feel like I'm slummin' with a pair of Theos mated to a pair of Depth i subs...but it's threads like this that still put a smile on my face and bring back sweet memories. Thanks! :bowdown:

Ahh thank you all for your comments... Great to hear from you all cls owners, great advice... They are for sure special speakers and even with their cons/limitations, a great value even compared to modern options...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well... 4 years later.. I am happy to say that ordered new panels almost two years ago... driving the CLS with Pass Labs xa30.8 with great results... they are my office system, so listen to low volume in a small place, very very happy... like having giant headphones jaja...

Ordered Sound Anchor stands, that should be arriving next week... been also thinking in ¨refreshing/upgrading¨ the electronics in the CLS at some point... so any suggestions are more that welcome... cheers to all!

Thanks for the update... I re-read the entire thread just now to refresh my memory.. Pass Labs is a great combo with ML's. I just loved mine.

I agree with Tom, Pass do sound wonderful with ML's.

I you want something else try some GOOD tube amps. Not trying to insult and product but for that mid-range euphoria that is what it takes.

Try a couple and you will see what I am referring to.

I agree with Tom, Pass do sound wonderful with ML's.

I you want something else try some GOOD tube amps. Not trying to insult and product but for that mid-range euphoria that is what it takes.

Try a couple and you will see what I am referring to.

Yes..need to try them with tubes... thing is that the only tube amps I currently have is a pair of Mcintosh mc40s (totally restored that sound pretty nice) but am ¨afraid¨ to put them with the CLS jeje

Well, a couple of pics... even ordered some custom covers for the CLSII, very happy with them.... cheers everyone!...

Attachments

• 20200309_164315.jpg
    20200309_164315.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 88
  • 20200309_164358.jpg
    20200309_164358.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 85
  • 20200227_231021.jpg
    20200227_231021.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 93
Grad to hear things are improving with your system. I have had CLS, CLSIIA and CLSIIZ speakers. For me the IIA had the best bass but the IIZ were over easier to drive and had a better over all sound.

As far as the interface is concerned. I had an electrical engineer/audio friend work on mine when I had an issue with one of them. He found that a number of the diodes under the clear plastic shield were not soldered properly or needed to be replaced. He changed the circuit board by going to point to point wiring with Cardas Audio wire.
This just eliminated the traces in the board.The binding posts were also changed.

The results were very noticeable. There was much more precise imaging, sound stage along with smother mids and highs.

If you or someone you know can do this I don't think you will be disappointed.

Brad

Grad to hear things are improving with your system. I have had CLS, CLSIIA and CLSIIZ speakers. For me the IIA had the best bass but the IIZ were over easier to drive and had a better over all sound.

As far as the interface is concerned. I had an electrical engineer/audio friend work on mine when I had an issue with one of them. He found that a number of the diodes under the clear plastic shield were not soldered properly or needed to be replaced. He changed the circuit board by going to point to point wiring with Cardas Audio wire.
This just eliminated the traces in the board.The binding posts were also changed.

The results were very noticeable. There was much more precise imaging, sound stage along with smother mids and highs.

If you or someone you know can do this I don't think you will be disappointed.

Brad

thanks Brad for the suggestion, looks like something worth to do, when I have a bit more time will give it a try :)

Latest posts

Back