Clear Spar Spacing

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian_74

Reaction score
Does anyone know why the clear spars are spaced unevenly on the Vantage panel? It's like an alternating pattern.

Does anyone know why the clear spars are spaced unevenly on the Vantage panel? It's like an alternating pattern.

Same as on my Summits and every other ESL. They explained why they did that at the Meet.. but I cant recall at the moment.

Joey

It's just a curious question really. I'm just wanting to know more about these incredible speakers!:D

Same as on my Summits and every other ESL. They explained why they did that at the Meet.. but I cant recall at the moment.

Joey

If you (or anyone) can remember, I'd love to know. I've always looked at the uneven spacing but never thought to ask!

Maybe

I'll take a wild guess -
Maybe to even out or help cancel any harmonic resonance created by the tensioned membrane while active?????

or

maintain different controlled rates of thermal expansion/contraction????

Last edited:
I'll take a wild guess -
Maybe to even out or help cancel any harmonic resonance created by the tensioned membrane while active?????

or

I have no work tomorrow... I'm going to call ML corporate.

I'll take a wild guess -

or

This is correct. Varying the spacing addresses different harmonic frequencies. Very astute!

The older MLs have pretty evenly spaced spars, except at the very top and bottom of the panel. The spars on my Sequels are not nearly as unevenly spaced as the newer ESL panels.

I suppose that's what they mean by "design evolution".

--Richard

The older MLs have pretty evenly spaced spars, except at the very top and bottom of the panel. The spars on my Sequels are not nearly as unevenly spaced as the newer ESL panels.

I suppose that's what they mean by "design evolution".

--Richard

I'll get to the bottom of this this AM...

Called Martin Logan Corporate just now..

Talked to Jeff...

He said that there are several reasons why the clear spars are uneven/alternating in spacing. The main is because each area between the spacing is susceptible to some harmonic frequency attenuation and by alternating, they wont have this huge harmonic frequency spike. Instead they hope to not necessarily cancel, but decrease the overall harmonic frequency attenuation.

Also, a certain number of clear spars are optimal for each panel and this is taken into account when designing the unit and in coming up with the proper clear spar spacing.

Joey :D

spars/space

here is what Jim Powers has to say about the spacing of the panel spars.

It is basically a method of ‘tuning’ the pane’s performance to match the speaker output, cabinet shape etc. It plays into the harmonic resonance of various cell sizes. It is not an exact science. Our engineers voice many combinations of cell patterns for each speaker design before signing off on one.

Hope this helps.

jp

here is what Jim Powers has to say about the spacing of the panel spars.

It is basically a method of ‘tuning’ the pane’s performance to match the speaker output, cabinet shape etc. It plays into the harmonic resonance of various cell sizes. It is not an exact science. Our engineers voice many combinations of cell patterns for each speaker design before signing off on one.

Hope this helps.

jp

So you went one step above my guy eh? Straight to Jim Powers.... I see...

;)

spars

Sorry Joey_v i didin't relaize you had called ML i thought Jim might have the answer for us. like they say two heads are better than one.

Back