Can ESL speakers toast an AVR?? Even a nice one?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FotoJohn

Reaction score
I have a pair of Source speakers hooked up to an Onkyo rc270.

Recently I am having all kinds of problems with my Onkyo.

While listening to music at loud levels for a period of time it will switch inputs on its own. And then it won't respond to remote commands nor does the front panel work. If I unplug it and plug it right back in it will turn itself on automatically.

It was working fine for the first month, but now the problems occur more often. Am going to watch a movie tonight and see if it makes it all the way through. Watched Tron 2 two times at very high level and had no problems so who knows.

I guess the question is whether the tough 2 ohm load could harm the AVR or could the extreme heat generated by having it run at high levels with a low load over an hour be enough to cause these types of problems.

Any thoughts?

If your receiver doesn't do these things at low to moderate volume levels, I'd say you are probably correct in thinking the speakers are sending it into meltdown mode.. I'm surprised it just doesn't shut if off.. That's what my Denon used to do...

you can always get an outboard amp to power the mains using analog pre-outs on your receiver... just checked the specs of that model and it has pre-outs.

imo, if it was going to hurt anything, it would be the output transistors. I guess there is an outside chance excessive heat could have taken out something else, but I think if it were getting that hot, the output transistors would be gone.
I doubt the problems you are having is speaker related....obviously just my opinion as I am more a 2 channel guy

While listening to music at loud levels for a period of time it will switch inputs on its own. And then it won't respond to remote commands nor does the front panel work. If I unplug it and plug it right back in it will turn itself on automatically.
Very unlikely that the speaker is causing this.

Sounds like a problem with the receiver logic board. The speakers could be accentuating this - they are a difficult load and may be throwing its sensing circuits off - but they are unlikely to be the problem. It sounds like the problem is with the receiver.

Watched a movie and everything was fine.

My guess is that the low load and the heat created by it might be causing something else to go nuts down the line.

Am going to contact Amazon about a replacement and then look into an amp so I don't have this problem repeat.

Thanks for the quick answers.

Watched a movie and everything was fine.

My guess is that the low load and the heat created by it might be causing something else to go nuts down the line.

Am going to contact Amazon about a replacement and then look into an amp so I don't have this problem repeat.

Thanks for the quick answers.

Make you have enough space to keep any amp you use cool.

Latest posts

Back