buying used: CLX ART 6 years old vs 15A 2 years old

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dpaulyn

Reaction score
Looking for feedback/opinion from experts:
I can get either for same price
CLX ART 6 years old vs Renaissance 15A 2 years old
Upgrading from Montis
Listen to mostly opera/classical

Thanks so much

So it definitely depends on what your objective, budget, long term goals and room size:

1. Cost If you are in it for that least cost not only up front but in the long run then the 15’s are the ones for you. If you take into account the at least one sub- ideally two plus the extra cable for the Subs and CLX’s the 15’s will easily be less. Then if you factor in the panels at some point will most likely need to be replaced before the 15’s it’s a no brainer on cost. I don’t think either one of panels will be needed to be replaced for many years though it’s just most likely the 15’s will last longer. The only thing that could be a factor is the environment that both speakers were in before you got them. A smoker, pets and never vacuumed is your worst case scenario most likely. So do ask. Should be in a low humidity environment and vacuumed at least every 6 months.

2. Obviously you like electrostatics so then the CLX is by far the best. Why? Because it’s a full electrostatic not a hybrid. Don’t get me wrong the hybrids are great but don’t kid yourself they fall short. CLX is by far the best sound.

3. Space. If you have limited room then the 15’s if you have enough for CLX and subs then that is your ticket.

4. Go listen to each that is a must otherwise you will always question your decision

Oh you never said what the guy selling the 15’s has moved on to that may give you a clue how good the 15’s were for him

Also a personal comment. I have thrown better and better cables including electronics the CLX’s just laugh for me to bring more on. I would of thought by now that I would of reached a plateau but such is not the case. Would the 15’s do the same uncertain as I don’t know but what I do know is I like the challenge and maybe someday the CLX’s will be maxed out but not so far.

You also got to remember that the 15’s came out at the same price point as the CLX’s after I had mine for a couple of years. So I was concerned but no more. It’s like I tell my son older can be better!!!

Last edited:
Hey..I'll chime in as I was in this position just last Fall. But I was buying new.

Heard both...For me it was clear. CLX. The 15's no doubt are amazing. Truly. Get these & you'll be more than happy.

BUT; the CLX has a way of taking the music to a larger level. I have never felt so transported into the music like I have with my CLX's. Each time I feel like I am in the studio. And even better; like the musicians are in my living room.

The soundstage the CLX throws out has no rival. Like Mike said ^ they just grin when you throw good stuff at them. Throw crap at them and crap will come out! :)

Effortless...HUGE soundstage. Especially with your tastes in Classical and Opera. Truly nothing comes close.

A few things to consider. You already know I'm sure having the Montis...

1. CLX needs a little room to breathe.
2. Subs. Gotta have em. Non negotiable.
3. Power. Well all the ML's love nice power. :)

FYI: I owed a new pair of 13's...only about 3months. TRADED them in for a pair of CLX. The sub and CLX integration is smoother than the built in subs for the 13s or 15s...

If you can swing some nice subs, then the CLX is the way to go. Good luck Man! Keep us in the loop.

Last edited:
Hey I know this is tough decision as both will bring you years of joy.

You will probably second guess yourself on either choice. Make sure the CLXs are in good condition. There's not a dumb or bad question to ask the seller. :guitar:

I was one of the people fortunate enough to have listened to Mike's CLX's, then, go to Da Vinci Media with Shawn and listened to the 15a's.

You can't go wrong with either speaker. If the panel life is a big concern for you than you may be more comfortable with the 15's. I would believe that you will have many years of enjoyment with the existing panels. The newer technology appears to be lasting longer than older so you can factor that in.

For me the CLX is without a doubt a 15-20% better speaker. You have not mentioned what the rest of your system is now or, what your plans for it in the future are. What is the size of your room currently and will that be changing?

Good luck with you decision

As

I was one of the people fortunate enough to have listened to Mike's CLX's, then, go to Da Vinci Media with Shawn and listened to the 15a's.

You can't go wrong with either speaker. If the panel life is a big concern for you than you may be more comfortable with the 15's. I would believe that you will have many years of enjoyment with the existing panels. The newer technology appears to be lasting longer than older so you can factor that in.

For me the CLX is without a doubt a 15-20% better speaker. You have not mentioned what the rest of your system is now or, what your plans for it in the future are. What is the size of your room currently and will that be changing?

Good luck with you decision

As

We have a similar story Brad. I should have clarified my post above ^^ I as well, flew up to hear Mike's CLX and then to Shawn's DaVinci Media to listen to the 15s. I heard about your trip. :eek:

Both are wonderful...I agree with your assessment. I might add a few percentage points up tho :) 25% better. :)

Good point on the lifespan of the panels. Believe this were made and developed about 10 years ago. The 15's just a couple of years now?

So it definitely depends on what your objective, budget, long term goals and room size:

1. Cost If you are in it for that least cost not only up front but in the long run then the 15’s are the ones for you. If you take into account the at least one sub- ideally two plus the extra cable for the Subs and CLX’s the 15’s will easily be less. Then if you factor in the panels at some point will most likely need to be replaced before the 15’s it’s a no brainer on cost. I don’t think either one of panels will be needed to be replaced for many years though it’s just most likely the 15’s will last longer. The only thing that could be a factor is the environment that both speakers were in before you got them. A smoker, pets and never vacuumed is your worst case scenario most likely. So do ask. Should be in a low humidity environment and vacuumed at least every 6 months.

2. Obviously you like electrostatics so then the CLX is by far the best. Why? Because it’s a full electrostatic not a hybrid. Don’t get me wrong the hybrids are great but don’t kid yourself they fall short. CLX is by far the best sound.

3. Space. If you have limited room then the 15’s if you have enough for CLX and subs then that is your ticket.

4. Go listen to each that is a must otherwise you will always question your decision

Oh you never said what the guy selling the 15’s has moved on to that may give you a clue how good the 15’s were for him

Also a personal comment. I have thrown better and better cables including electronics the CLX’s just laugh for me to bring more on. I would of thought by now that I would of reached a plateau but such is not the case. Would the 15’s do the same uncertain as I don’t know but what I do know is I like the challenge and maybe someday the CLX’s will be maxed out but not so far.

You also got to remember that the 15’s came out at the same price point as the CLX’s after I had mine for a couple of years. So I was concerned but no more. It’s like I tell my son older can be better!!!

good post, sums it up perfectly IMO ..........

Looking for feedback/opinion from experts:
I can get either for same price
CLX ART 6 years old vs Renaissance 15A 2 years old
Upgrading from Montis
Listen to mostly opera/classical

Thanks so much

Mike McCarthy mentioned to me that you may be interested.
We have just received factory fresh, sealed, refurbished CLX Art in Dark Cherry and CLX in Natural Cherry. Includes 5 year factory warranty. Please contact us for more info.

[email protected]
414-479-1829

Hi, Shawn. Sounds good regarding the CLXs except that with the new border tariffs I would be paying an unacceptable premium. Thanks anyway.

Hi, Shawn. Sounds good regarding the CLXs except that with the new border tariffs I would be paying an unacceptable premium. Thanks anyway.

So Canada is putting a tariff on inbound electronics? I live in Michigan by the border - I have yet to experience this. How much??

Aren't the clx made in Canada??

So Canada is putting a tariff on inbound electronics? I live in Michigan by the border - I have yet to experience this. How much??

Aren't the clx made in Canada??

It doesn't matter where it is made. It matters where he buys it from. So if he purchased it in Canada from a Canadian retailer it wouldn't impact him.
In this case US retailer DaVinci Media loses out.

Right now I know people in the US and abroad who are pretty upset over tariffs going both ways.

In the US it will drive up the costs of things we buy and we are losing sales overseas, hence the 12 Billion bail out to our farmers for crops that foreign countries are not buying from us. I read recently that there is a glut of beef that is piling up as well.

Trump is completely trashing our commerce and actually hurting many economies with his trade war.

It doesn't matter where it is made. It matters where he buys it from. So if he purchased it in Canada from a Canadian retailer it wouldn't impact him.
In this case US retailer DaVinci Media loses out.

Right now I know people in the US and abroad who are pretty upset over tariffs going both ways.

In the US it will drive up the costs of things we buy and we are losing sales overseas, hence the 12 Billion bail out to our farmers for crops that foreign countries are not buying from us. I read recently that there is a glut of beef that is piling up as well.

Trump is completely trashing our commerce and actually hurting many economies with his trade war.

Mark, the short term discomfort will be worth it in the future. To say he's completely trashing our commerce is a bit reactionary at best.

There is nothing he can do you will approve of. You don't like him and that is that.

We were in Vancouver a few weeks ago where cigarettes are $15 a pack. The governments way of stopping smoking. People where ever we went were still smoking.

If someone wants a product they will purchase it. It may take them a bit longer to save money but its a personal choice.

Didn't mean this to get political. All I wanted to know is if anyone knew the extra cost if there was a tariff - not duty or taxes. I live by the border and have always had to deal with possible duties/taxes etc..on product coming out of Canada to the states. I wanted to buy a beautiful dining room table once in Stratford and when nobody could seem to tell my what the duties would be - I didn't buy. It seemed to be a big mystery. I have yet to see additional tariffs on electronics listed - but I could be wrong. Bottom line - given typical exchange rates I wonder if there is any advantage for Canadians to purchase in the states - other than to try and escape GST etc.

Back