Bump stocks. Who will be

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My point was our legal right to own guns is protected in the 2nd Amendment should the government become so unstable citizens feel the need to protect themselves.

I have a friend who purchased an AK-47 and he and his wife got hand guns and went to training to learn how to use and maintain them properly before Y2K. He had 6 months of food and was very concerned about our country falling into Anarchy.

This fear based excuse to own fire arms based on a foreign invasion or anarchy with the total breakdown of our government is all irrational.

Having that chunk of lethal metal at home gives many the illusion of power and control. But it is only an illusion.

What if, what if, what if??? Next up explaining how owning guns is the only way to prepare for the Zombie Apocalypse!

He might be able to shoot one of Kim Jong-un's rockets out of the sky! I'd feel safe if I lived next door to him :)

BTW when I said he was a friend, I was serious. He is far more than an acquaintance. He is one of the nicest and most loving people I've ever known. I hired him to work in group I managed many years ago and he was great with our customers and really cared. He later went on to lead his own group. He and his wife are very close. My wife and I have even had them over relatively recently. I could go on and on about all the things that he does to help others. For many years he and his wife cared for his wife's Mom who had alzheimer's. He has been retired for a number of years now and has a very busy social calendar from playing musical instruments, to spending time with his 5 children and grandchildren. He is also a woodworker. He seems very moderate and well balanced.

I knew he was extremely worried about Y2K which surprised me. I only found out a few weeks ago about his weapons and if I didn't remember how scared he was about Y2K I would have had trouble believing he did that.

The theme is that fear causes otherwise sane people to behave irrationally.

This one deserves special mention.

Are you serious? Using a gun in a residential area to control wildlife?

No wonder there are also so many unintentional shootings in the USA as well as homicides.

I wouldn't want my neighbour indiscriminately popping off around his yard because "he saw an aggressive possum" "tearing up his plants".

That's not safety or protection. That would make me feel very unsafe (for me and my family) indeed.

What year are you living in? Have you not heard of more modern and sophisticated ways to control pests?

This is like saying don't go into the OutBack and shoot a gun.

You obviously have a fear of guns and must believe they just randomly shoot people by them selves.

I hope your can find that magical garden with Unicorns and Rainbows where life is perfect.

I have a friend who purchased an AK-47 and he and his wife got hand guns and went to training to learn how to use and maintain them properly before Y2K. He had 6 months of food and was very concerned about our country falling into Anarchy.

This fear based excuse to own fire arms based on a foreign invasion or anarchy with the total breakdown of our government is all irrational.

Having that chunk of lethal metal at home gives many the illusion of power and control. But it is only an illusion.

What if, what if, what if??? Next up explaining how owning guns is the only way to prepare for the Zombie Apocalypse!

Mark, I can't tell you how happy I am that you don't own any weapons. Based on the progression of your logic I'm not sure anyone would be safe.

Mark, I can't tell you how happy I am that you don't own any weapons. Based on the progression of your logic I'm not sure anyone would be safe.

When people justify weapons by pointing to an extremely unlikely scenario, with a very unrealistic idea of the impact those weapons would actually have in that unlikely scenario there was never any logic to begin with.

It still comes back to grasping at straws to justify a security blanket.

Gordon, I live in a rural area and own some of the guns in question, as do a number of people I know. I have to say there is no one I know that thinks they to need to defend themselves from the government with weapons.

Many of us live in areas where Coyotes, Bob Cat and Wild Hogs are prevalent. Unfortunately all of them can be very destructive and aggressive.

Someone earlier mentioned about no one ever having a need for a silencer. I know people that have acquired them after 18-24 months of background search. If you have Possums and Armadillos that are nocturnal creatures that tear up you yard and plants night time is the only option you have to remove them. Not wanting to disturb neighbors that is not common to use one.

If you all are referring to survivalists living in the woods thinking someone is coming for them and their guns, I have no answer for you. Those are not the people I know.

Brad,

Thanks for the clarification. I'm absolutely sure you are a very responsible gun owner and act accordingly.

I guess my issue is why common folks have to have an AR 15 type military weapon which were designed to be used by the military to kill as many bad guys as quickly as possible.

Best,

Gordon

You obviously have a fear of guns and must believe they just randomly shoot people by them selves.

Patently incorrect.

Gordon Gray said:
I'm absolutely sure you are a very responsible gun owner and act accordingly.

I'm not so sure. Shooting in a residential back yard just because you saw an aggressive possum tearing up your plants? What about the usual gun safety stuff? What about ricochets? Where could the projectile end up? What if he misses? Is he always aware of his backstop? My guess is the backstop might sometimes be his neighbour's house. Which must be reasonably close given he also needs a silencer so as not to disturb them.

Sure, guns may be needed in the bush and on farms, but his earlier post spoke of the need for silencers so as not to disturb neighbours. My guess is that this is not the case.

Last edited:
Ok Mark and Amey lets back up a bit and maybe you can clarify something for me.

In post #140 Mark referred to the 2nd Amendment stated that for citizens that owned guns were to be in Well Regulated Militias.

My understanding is this was written into the Constitution as a protection for the citizens against the newly formed government as the country now had its freedom from England.

It has always been looked as check against an out of control government and self protection.

This is where both of you took some strange left turn and decided because I have a right to own guns and made a comment of the intent of the 2nd Amendment I was a crazy gun owing head of a Militia ready to shoot it out with the government.

Maybe your can explain your thought process because to me your are trying to make something out of nothing not unlike the majority of anti gun people.

Patently incorrect.

I'm not so sure. Shooting in a residential back yard just because you saw an aggressive possum tearing up your plants? What about the usual gun safety stuff? What about ricochets? Where could the projectile end up? What if he misses? Is he always aware of his backstop? My guess is the backstop might sometimes be his neighbour's house. Which must be reasonably close given he also needs a silencer so as not to disturb them.

Sure, guns may be needed in the bush and on farms, but his earlier post spoke of the need for silencers so as not to disturb neighbours. My guess is that this is not the case.

Your comments about how people shoot a gun can only lead me to believe that this is what your approach might be if you were able to own them.

As for another wrong assumption I live on 13 acres and most neighbors have acreage also. There is roughly 500 acres adjacent to our property. People hunt deer all around us and I don't know anyone in our area that doesn't own and shoot guns.

As for your ill thought out comment of silencers it is call consideration of neighbors that have children that might be sleeping after 10:00 or 12:00 at night.

Maybe people where your live aren't that polite so you can't imaging that sort of thing.

Brad,

Thanks for the clarification. I'm absolutely sure you are a very responsible gun owner and act accordingly.

I guess my issue is why common folks have to have an AR 15 type military weapon which were designed to be used by the military to kill as many bad guys as quickly as possible.

Best,

Gordon

Thanks Gordon, I am contrary to what some others here would lead you to believe.

I have a brother in law that is a Head Range Officer at a local rod and gun club. We have taught quite a few people about gun safety and shooting here on our property.

One of our most enjoyable groups was a niece that was graduating from high school and wanted to have a party and learn to shoot safely along with some of her friends. Every one provided contact information and parents were contacted by her mother prior to them arriving for approval. By the end of the afternoon the girls were more accurate then the boys.

It is interesting to see someone that has never shot a gun and the excitement/fear at the beginning and by the end there is a clear respect for what they had just done.

As far as your question about AR 15 type weapons. Many people I know just enjoy the sport of shooting. I takes practice to be able to put a small grouping together on a target.

There are others that own them as a show piece. I'm not sure how you would find the statistic but my bet is way less than 50% of them are ever shot.

Gordon, I have nothing to back this up but I think the vast majority of people that buy this type of gun don't think about it as a gun they can kill a lot of people with.

Why does someone want to own a car that goes 200 MPH when a YUGO will get you there if it will start.

Brad, perhaps I can help by adding some thoughts about why an AR-15?

• They are affordable
• They are popular … the iphone of the rifle world
• They're accurate at range
• They're designed to be easy to shoot
• They have a fairly low rate of malfunction when maintained properly and when using magazines and ammunition that are known to work well with the particular weapon
• The round has been fairly well proven over many years.
• The rounds are easy to obtain and plentiful (used throughout the world)
• The weapon is highly configurable and can be used with long, short, medium barrels; swap out upper receiver, stock, grip, trigger assembly, etc... The modular architecture has worked well and allows the user to customize the weapon to himself/herself to look mean and menacing.
• It's easy to get parts, maintenance kits, manuals on how to operate and maintain the weapon

So as a gun, they're good. So why would anyone want a good gun?

1. The people who will look to impose their will on you may have a similarly good weapon or weapons.
2. For any reason you would need a gun, it's better to have a good gun than a piece of shit.

This comment

It has always been looked as check against an out of control government and self protection.

and this comment

thinking someone is coming for them and their guns, I have no answer for you. Those are not the people I know.

are incongruent.

------

As asked earlier - can you please explain how Mr Brad, standing on his 11 acre driveway in Frorida with his AR15, going to be any "check against an out of control government", complete with nukes, rockets, tanks...... and even....tut, tut....fully automatic guns?

Last edited:
Maybe your can explain your thought process because to me your are trying to make something out of nothing not unlike the majority of anti gun people.

No thought process to explain. It has been clearly explained in previous posts. Just facts - facts such as the one below, which are undeniable. But it would appear some people in the USA (you included) have a little trouble imbibing and interpreting.

Attachments

• gi1.jpg
    gi1.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
not unlike the majority of anti gun people.

But I will explain one thing - I am not anti-gun! I love guns like anyone else. I go shooting semi-regularly too.

It's just that I can't help to feel pain for my fellow friends over there in the USA when we keep hearing about Sandy Hooks, Parklands, Las Vegases, etc from the other side of the world.

That - combined with the statistics above - and it is obvious and undeniable the USA has a huge, patently unarguable, problem.

What is more painful, is that the country (as a whole) just doesn't want to do anything about it.

So I am not anti-gun, and nor is the general ethos here in Australia. I just believe they need to be appropriate for the task, properly stored, and owners properly trained and vetted. Human-killing machines (like the AR15) have no place in a civilised residential area. I'm sure you could shoot "aggressive possums tearing up your plants" with a bolt-action .22 (that's if more modern, sophisticated (and effective) pest control techniques evade you).

Last edited:
Amey and I do not agree on this point.

Gun ownership is an obsolete idea and it's time to phase out the 2nd amendment completely.

tombstonesad.jpg

Last edited:
But I will explain one thing - I am not anti-gun! I love guns like anyone else. I go shooting semi-regularly too.

It's just that I can't help to feel pain for my fellow friends over there in the USA when we keep hearing about Sandy Hooks, Parklands, Las Vegases, etc from the other side of the world.

That - combined with the statistics above - and it is obvious and undeniable the USA has a huge, patently unarguable, problem.

What is more painful, is that the country (as a whole) just doesn't want to do anything about it.

So I am not anti-gun, and nor is the general ethos here in Australia. I just believe they need to be appropriate for the task, properly stored, and owners properly trained and vetted. Human-killing machines (like the AR15) have no place in a civilised residential area. I'm sure you could shoot "aggressive possums tearing up your plants" with a bolt-action .22 (that's if more modern, sophisticated (and effective) pest control techniques evade you).

Amey, Could you show me where you came up with the delusional idea that I shoot Possums or Armadillos with a .223 round? You keep being selective with your comments and trying to make them into a story that just isn't there. You may be the type of person you think should not have a gun here.

How does explaining our Constitution and what I perceive what others do is who I am?

As for Sandy Hook and Parklands our government failed to take the information given to them and act on it. It is a horrible thing but you want to take action against the masses because of the few. Do you think criminals will turn in their semi auto weapons if asked?
You live on the other side of the world from us. To say that our (country as a whole) doesn't want do anything about it is so far from the truth its ridiculous. You are obviously listening to news and opinions of friends here that are inaccurate.

As for Las Vegas, we don't know much of anything about the situation other than the horrendous loss of life.

Amey, Could you show me where you came up with the delusional idea that I shoot Possums or Armadillos with a .223 round? You keep being selective with your comments and trying to make them into a story that just isn't there. You may be the type of person you think should not have a gun here.

How does explaining our Constitution and what I perceive what others do is who I am?

As for Sandy Hook and Parklands our government failed to take the information given to them and act on it. It is a horrible thing but you want to take action against the masses because of the few. Do you think criminals will turn in their semi auto weapons if asked?
You live on the other side of the world from us. To say that our (country as a whole) doesn't want do anything about it is so far from the truth its ridiculous. You are obviously listening to news and opinions of friends here that are inaccurate.

As for Las Vegas, we don't know much of anything about the situation other than the horrendous loss of life.

Every aspect of this post has been answered comprehensively by my prior posts. There is nothing I can add that I haven't already said in prior posts. Sometimes multiple times.

You (the USA) has an irrefutable (and statistically obvious) problem; and the solution is irrefutable (and statistically proven) too.

You can only hide from facts for so long.

Last edited:

Guess what?? This sh1t just doesn't happen anywhere else in the world!! (Unless you want to include the mafia and drug-controlled Colombian highlands and compare yourselves against that)??

So how do you explain that?

It really doesn't matter what paltry excuses you try to come up with. Government inaction, mental issues, judiciary, or "I need to shoot armadillos in my back yard".........it's all been said before.

The fact is, this sh1t only happens in the USA. Nowhere else.

As far as I'm concerned, there are only two valid responses:

1. We acknowledge we have a problem and we're going to do something about it, by implementing gun control techniques proven in every other developed nation on the planet

or

2. We absolutely like school children being gunned down in our schools. It's our country, so p1ss off and leave us alone.

Any other response is invalid as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited:
Back