bought my new house!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coolcobramatt

Reaction score
Now how to set up the ML Aeon i's. The house isn't huge by any means but the great room design encompasses the main living area (15x20 approx.), a small foyer, and the kitchen and dining rooms (albeit the kitchen and dining are seperated by walls that end in plant shelves with open spaces to the actual ceiling so they may not be issue at all). The ceilings are vaulted and approximately 15 feet high. It's all drywall. I plan on placing the ML's near the one main wall that's wide enough to hold my TV. It should give me a much wider range to place the ML's than my current small duplex.

My questions to you all are:

(1) set them up as far apart as possible or keep em closer together? I realize it's subjective to my taste as to how the speakers sound in reality, but this is a baseline for planning.

(2) Are my Aeon i's adequate for this size room? (it's large to me I am a government employee lol).

(3) Recommendations on wall treatment or leave the solid drywall?

(4) Thoughts on how the high vaulted ceilings will effect the sound whether good or bad?

Your comments are much welcomed and appreciated!

Congrats on the house Cool. The fun has just begun.

I think that will be a good room size for the Aeons and the vaulted ceiling will be a benefit IMO so you will not have a rectangular box.

Without knowing if there are openings in the walls or limitations to the 15 or 20 ft walls. I would set them up on the 15' wall first. You can put them 3'+ from the side walls and 3'+ from the front wall (behind them). That will give you a good place to start. With the Aeons on the 15' wall you will have more distance to sit away from them and enjoy a wider image.
After that try the 20' wall and see how you like it. Many people prefer a more near field listening. I believe Jeff Zaret tried both and preferred speakers on the long wall. I'm sure he will add his thoughts also. It's a personal thing as you said. It does become a lot of effort but as long as ones significant other doesn't object to moving things around it is enjoyable to see what works best for you.

More than likely you will want to do some sound absorption and diffusion as time passes. Do a search here and on the web for wall treatments. There are some very good sites available. Others here will have specific names of people they have used for treatments. I have been building with acoustical cotton and fiberglass. My next will be diffusers. In the mean time you can hang blankets on things in the room in different places to see how it changes the sound by eliminating reflections and absorbing. Move some of your furniture around to see how that changes things. This trial and error method will give you some idea of where to start when you want to purchase treatments.

If a dealer is available in your area I would suggest ASC products. I am slowly implementing the plan, a bit at a time as finances allow. They will come and measure your room free of charge and develop a blueprint from which you can build in a stepwise fashion. Not the cheapest, but probably the best. Concentrating on the room first will save you costly component mistakes down the road.

I'm in Western Kentucky, the only audio dealers around only go as high end as B&W and Rotel (and I have known that guy since we were kids, he is only in it for max profit). It's a 2 hour trip to Nashville where the closest audiophile dealers are. I rely on word of mouth from everyone's recommendations on here and researching the net for every tidbit of information I can discover!

Congratulation for your new journey! I envy you!

I agree with Brad225's opinion. But, I have heard about a bad influence to a room acoustic by the arch structure because the structure may cause the effect like optical lens. As for this, I think it's very difficult to advise beacause I can't hear the sound in your room.

As you watched in this club, there are so many ways to enjoy ML. And you can enjoy this hobby as you like for long time ,though I'm going to enjoy it the rest of my life. The sound is changable easily with every effort you do. Only through such Trial and Error, we can get a big fish.

It is said that we hear only 20-30% sound directly from SPs, so the efficient of the room acoustic is very, very important. You can enjoy the room treatments for long term one by one getting the experience and information from books and through internet. And nowadays, it's very easy to measure the room sound with PC, it's also interesting.

It's very difficult to describe in English. I could write much with proper words and sentences if in Japanese. Anyway, pls enjoy it! :D

Shuji

Even if you can't get to an ASC dealer I still feel room treatment of some sort would be better money spent than upgrading. If your sub is good you should be OK with the Aeoni in your new room. My video system is Aeon based in a room similar to yours and with the Descent I can really fill up the space. Mine are about 9 feet apart, necessitated by the size of my video cabinet and about 3 feet from the short wall. Have fun in your new palace!

A new house is always full of uncertainty on the audio front. You have just changed your most vital component! I'm sure you chose it for the listening room facilities.

As for high, vaulted ceilings, that is exactly what I have and they made it very very hard to get a stable image. Just tell yourself that you will have several weeks without listening [relaxation listening that is] and spend the time to get the set up just right! I'm sure it'll be worth it.

I'm sure you chose it for the listening room facilities.

Nup I chose it for the killer custom designed interior (the vaulted ceilings were the biggest selling factor) and for the investment value. Can't go so far (yet) as to choose my home for the acoustic value :p .

Back