black diamond racing cones on ML?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beefchowmein

Reaction score
Looking at getting some spikes for my aerius i. I did some search and found some good alternative to the ones Martin Logan sells. Just curious if anyone used Black Diamond Racing cones on their Martin Logans?

Hi,

Are your floors carpet or wood?

If wood, I have another option you might want to consider. Also a BDR product.

GG

BDR pits on carpet

I have carpet

I will be watching this thread closely as I have been looking at spikes and pits from BDR for my low pile carpeting too! I haven't considered cones under the Summits as I wouldn't feel comfortable with the fact that the woofer is underneath and where would you place the cones? I'm not sure it would be stable on carpet.

I know Gordon uses these (thick pits?), but his are on wood floors.

I was looking at doing the Jumbo pits on the rear and the wide pits, either the MK III or MK IV on the front. The Jumbo pits and the Wide pits are both 3.50" in diameter. My theory is that 3.5" should be plenty stable even on carpet. I could be wrong. :rolleyes: I talked to someone at Music direct and he was pretty sure that would NOT work, and tried to convince me to go with the Audio Points cones directly into the carpet. Something I really do not want to do. Plus there is the where do you put the cones question.

The jury is out on the use of Jason's 2.5" spikes on the rear. My room may not be right for them as I did not care for the sound. I have been experimenting with a number of 1/8" carboard "risers" to see what various panel tilts sound like. I think anywhere from 1/2" to 1" may work.

So in place of Jason's spikes, I am looking into using the spikes that come with the Summits on all fours, along with Jumbo pits on the rear and the Wide pits on the front. The MK III is 3/4" high and the MK IV is only 1/2" high. That would then give me either a 3/4" tilt or a full 1" tilt. I know the III is supposed to be for digital components and the IV is for analog, but doubt there would be much of a difference. :rolleyes: (The Thick, Max, Super and Jumbo pits are not rated either MKIII or MK IV. There are what they are I guess).

This solution does not come cheap, but I know that I need to do a better job of controlling vibration from the Summit woofers. Carpeting makes it more of a challenge, especially if you do not want to spike directly into the carpet.

Comments on the 3.5" wide pits with ML spikes on carpeting to reduce vibration AND increase the panel tilt?

THANKS!

Joe M.

Last edited by a moderator:
I will be watching this thread closely as I have been looking at spikes and pits from BDR for my low pile carpeting too! I haven't considered cones under the Summits as I wouldn't feel comfortable with the fact that the woofer is underneath and where would you place the cones? I'm not sure it would be stable on carpet.

I know Gordon uses these (thick pits?), but his are on wood floors.

I was looking at doing the Jumbo pits on the rear and the wide pits, either the MK III or MK IV on the front. The Jumbo pits and the Wide pits are both 3.50" in diameter. My theory is that 3.5" should be plenty stable even on carpet. I could be wrong. :rolleyes: I talked to someone at Music direct and he was pretty sure that would NOT work, and tried to convince me to go with the Audio Points cones directly into the carpet. Something I really do not want to do. Plus there is the where do you put the cones question.

The jury is out on the use of Jason's 2.5" spikes on the rear. My room may not be right for them as I did not care for the sound. I have been experimenting with a number of 1/8" carboard "risers" to see what various panel tilts sound like. I think anywhere from 1/2" to 1" may work.

So in place of Jason's spikes, I am looking into using the spikes that come with the Summits on all fours, along with Jumbo pits on the rear and the Wide pits on the front. The MK III is 3/4" high and the MK IV is only 1/2" high. That would then give me either a 3/4" tilt or a full 1" tilt. I know the III is supposed to be for digital components and the IV is for analog, but doubt there would be much of a difference. :rolleyes: (The Thick, Max, Super and Jumbo pits are not rated either MKIII or MK IV. There are what they are I guess).

This solution does not come cheap, but I know that I need to do a better job of controlling vibration from the Summit woofers. Carpeting makes it more of a challenge, especially if you do not want to spike directly into the carpet.

Comments on the 3.5" wide pits with ML spikes on carpeting to reduce vibration AND increase the panel tilt?

THANKS!

Joe M.

You design something better. I will make it!:D There are many ways to do this...first you must take MANY measurements.

Jason's spikes

You design something better. I will make it!:D There are many ways to do this...first you must take MANY measurements.

Jason,

There is no need to design anything better! Your design is perfect. They fit like a glove. I even used a blackening agent from my model tool kit so they blended in color wise with the black Summits! I know I need panel tilt to lock in the sound stage, it's just that the 2.5" spike was a bit too much tilt and things got kind of bright. I am definitley going to keep them for possible future use!

I actually ended up in the local ER center with a muscle sprain from moving the Summits aroud on a marble slab a few weeks ago! Your comment about taking MANY measurements is RIGHT ON! ;) I had my Vantages locked in at one point, but can't find my notes! :( I have about 110 hours on them and they are starting to open up a lot more. I am determined to lock these babies in yet!

Joe M.

For what its worth, I would agree with the guy at Music Direct. For carpet, I would spike directly into it and not use the pucks and pits. I just don't see that being stable enough for the woofer excursions.

As my good friend Rich said... I think pucks for hard floors, direct spikes for carpet.

I have wood and I'd be interested for my Summits.

Hi Ken,

I have the BDR MkIII wide pits and they do a phenomenal job of decoupling the speakers from the wood floor. Overall effect is quite audible and well worth the effort. Much more controlled low end, better imaging, soundstaging, etc.

A bit pricey ($85 +/- per each) and you may find another product that is as effective for less money. Many choices.

Can purchase this item or other similar devices thru Music Direct.

However, I highly recommend the BDR product.

GG

Last edited:
The Pits!

Agreed.

GG

Gordon,

Darn, I was hoping the pits would work on carpet since they are 3.5" wide. But the concensus here is forget the idea. Back to the drawing board. :(

Maybe I could do a "carpet cut out" where the entire system is and install wood flooring maybe in a 4 x 9 foot area against the front wall. Then I could use the pits/spikes! ;)

Joe

Joe,

Another option I had previously suggested is to place the Summits on a sturdy / stable platform and then the BDR's and spikes on top of that.

Issue would be the additional height added as a result and its impact on the sound quality.

Your "carpet - cut out" idea would certainly work but I would question the cost effectiveness of this option.

Gordon

Last edited:
Back