Bi Amping the ESL9 ?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The short answer from me is no, I haven't heard the ESL 9 biamped, but have heard it. But, I had the Vista for about 7 years and found that I needed to biamp and was very happy with the result. The ESL 9 is what I would call a nice improvement of the Vista which also had a 9" panel but only one woofer. So the ESL 9 is better for bass response, and is crossed over at 380Hz (better IMO) vs the Vista's 450Hz.

I biamped with a 5 channel amp and always wanted to get separates, or at least two stereo amps, but just never got around to it. FWIW, at lower volume I never felt the need to biamp. It was only when I was pushing the volume to fill the room that I would notice an improvement when biamped.

While Bi-Amping can bring benefits, as ttocs indicated, they really only show up when the speaker is being pushed hard.

I believe one is better off relieving the speaker of the very low-end load and run them with a subwoofer. Hopefully using a good active crossover and room correction to integrate the 2.1 setup to the room. For about the same cost as an extra amp, you get better low-end, clearer mid-bass (as the ESL9 is not having to pound out the low-bass) and smoother bass all around.

My recommended 'compact' and simple to deploy 2.1 system would consist of three components:

ESL9 Main speakers
ML Balanced Force sub (212 or 210 depending on room size)

Anthem STR Integrated Amplifier

That STR integrated has active crossovers, even supports 2 subs, and has ARC Room Correction to integrate it all.

It would be very hard to go wrong with that config, as it's simple to set up and operate, and the amps in those Anthem STRs are very nice.

Back