Bi-amping Summits

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I suppose, but . . . .

Hola...because there are many people that was using bi-wire cables, the reason for two binding posts is that you still can use these cables with your new Summits. There is no need to change them. On the other hand, you can use single wire connection too. Happy listening,Roberto.
if you already have a set of bi-wire speaker cables, you'd get a bit better performance by attaching the two pairs of cables (two spades L and two spades R) to the main binding posts if they'll fit. That way you don't have to go through the straps/jumpers and an additional set of binding posts; and you don't introduce a possible time delay between the two runs of cables.

I have always wondered why they didn't just provide a line level input for the bass signal on Summits and Vantages (like they do on their subwoofers). Seems like that would be a much simpler and cleaner way to get the signal to the internal amps. I asked about this at the National Get-Together but never could get a straight answer.

Just thinking out loud here. Wouldn't it be more complicated to connect the speakers if you had to use line level for the bass and speaker level for the panel? A lot of power amplifiers don't have line level outputs (Sunfire does however) and you're already going to be using the pre-outs on your preamp/processor to connect to an amplifier to drive the panels. You would need to have an extra set of line level outputs for the left and right.

+1 on what Roberto said. It says in the manual why they've included two sets of binding posts.

Just thinking out loud here. Wouldn't it be more complicated to connect the speakers if you had to use line level for the bass and speaker level for the panel? A lot of power amplifiers don't have line level outputs (Sunfire does however) and you're already going to be using the pre-outs on your preamp/processor to connect to an amplifier to drive the panels. You would need to have an extra set of line level outputs for the left and right.

+1 on what Roberto said. It says in the manual why they've included two sets of binding posts.

Many high end preamps already have two sets of line level outputs. If not, a quality y-adapter would be a simple fix. Personally, I would just like the option of using line level inputs for the woofer just like I can do with my Descent.

As for the two sets of speaker level inputs, I just don't see the logic in giving everyone who doesn't have bi-wired speaker wires a poorer method of connection solely to satisfy those that do have bi-wire speaker cables when bi-wiring these speakers provides no improvement. Wouldn't it be better to just let those persons attach both ends of the bi-wire cable to the same terminal? It just doesn't make a lot of sense to me from a design perspective. Shouldn't the goal of designing a new speaker with a powered woofer be to design the simplest and best connection method for that speaker?

Latest posts

Back