best sacd player under a thousand

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

repman

Reaction score
I am interested in getting a SACD player and wonder if you guys have a recomendation under a thousand dollars??

thanks, Larry

Are you interested in SACD only or DVD audio and DTS 5.1 CDs as well?

In other words is your interest a Universal Player for Hi-Resolution Stereo and 5.1 surround sound or just a simple SACD player and oh yeah, what Cherian said?

I would look at a Parasound D3. This is a very good player and can be found for less than $1000.00

If you want to just dip your toe into SACD 'only' the Sony SCD-CE595 is 150 bucks retail at Best Buy and you have to spend more than $500 to get something better, IMO.

Now if you are wanting a 'New' Universal Disc Player that does SACD, DVDa, Blu-Ray, and just about ever other format, then the new Oppo BDP-83 is hard to beat at $499. I have the BDP-83 right now and it is a really nice unit, best bang for the buck by far. The only problem is that it has not been released to the public yet, but I would guess that it will be in the next 30 days.

If you are willing to look at the used market, Pioneer has several Universal Disc Players that fall between 400 and 800 dollars that are pretty nice and at least have been reviewed very well for their sonic abilities. These include the DV-79A, DV-59A and DV-47A but these players do not play Blu-Ray, they are more for music and DVD videos.

After that you may be interested in the next level which starts at $1500 and goes up and up from there. Check out the McCormack UDP-1 or the Simaudio Orbiter, 3K to 7K each, sweeet!

50 dollar Pioneer 563....

You can get em on ebay all day long. Jack the dig out into a DAC Magic for 2ch and you're rolling

Thanks Jeff I will ck that out for an extra 300 bucks is the PS unit better than the DAC magic and worth it in your opinion

I have also heard the Oppo is a good unit for the money

thanks Guys

I just downloaded the latest firmware for the Oppo BDP-83 Universal Player and I now have no known issues left with this player.

This is the best out-of-the box blu-ray, SACD, DVDa, CD, DTS CD, etc player that I have every seen and not at just $499.

Oppo has done a phenomenal job. I expect they will release it to the general public in the coming days.

If you are serious about a true universal player with 7.1 analog outs and dedicated two-channel and SACD, DVDa, DTS, CD and also Bluray, this has got to get some serious consideration.

I listened to Queen Night at the Opera tonight on a 7.2 Martin Logan speaker system without issue, and just a couple of weeks ago, my BDP-83 would not even play the DVDa Night at the Opera, these guys are good.

If it comes out at 499 new, with warranty and the customer service that OPPO is known for.... and consider the fact that Denon is the only other company to announce a Universal Player that matches the OPPO but of course the Denon costs $5000. Is the Denon better, or I guess the question is, is the Denon $4500 better, I guess time will tell.

picked up a Denon 1940CI for $89 dollars at Vanns not sure how good it is yet

(shipping) but it has Burr Brown DAC's so i thought it was worth a shot @ that price

I also have not heard a SACD before I have my first three coming via fed ex today

If i get hooked on the sound I may be upgrading the player very soon.

thanks for all the input guys

If you get hooked...

I ran CDs and SACDs thru a Denon 2910 for a few years and was pretty satisfied with the results. Then I found a used Sony XA 9000ES at my favorite store and took it home on trial. All I can say is WOW! It improved SACD playback by 3 - 5 times depending on the disc. All hi-rez discs improved significantly, and even re-mastered CDs now are worth a spin. The Sony was 1,500....more than I really wanted to spend...but now I'm kicking myself for not doing it sooner.

Back