Best cheap receiver???

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmstpierre

Reaction score
Hi all,
Ok the title may be a little confusing at first so I will try and explain what I mean by it.
I have the theos speakers,Passage centre and just ordered the w4s st 1000 power amp to power them and getting the ML Depth I sub.I need a receiver that will power the centre and rears but since I have the power amp for front duties I don t need the most powerful receiver. What I need is a receiver with great dac,Pre amp and good room correction that will complement the transparent nature of the theos. I have looked at a few spec of different manufacturers and m all confused now. Is an onkyo 5009 be far superior in terms of dac, Pre amp... to the cheaper 818 by example. Can t find any info regarding the dac and Pre amp in the anthem receiver range. What about yamaha, is going straight to the top of the range yield far better sonic results that the cheaper ones.?
Does my explanation make sense??
Like I said I ve looked at a few specs for different manufacturers and apart from the obvious power ratings there does not seem to be that much difference.surely that would not explain the massive price difference between them. There s got to be more to it.
To make things worst, the dealer that sold me the theos has now closed his doors and the only other one near me only does anthem receivers, so I can t really compare.
As always your expert opinion is very welcomed.
Sincerely yours
John

Hi Gordon,
Thanks for your input.though you mentioned denon, you did not specify which model I should look into.as I said, m not worried about the power output as ve got a power amp for front speakers, but worried that the preamplifier,dac in the different model vary a great deal. Can I safely assume therefore that a $1000 denon receiver will have the same preamplifier and dac as the more expansive one? If. That s the case, m happy with that , means I can buy the cheapest receiver, use it as a Pre/pro and spend the money on other things..
Regards

You should realize that the centre speaker is very important in a surround system - some may argue that it the most important. Having said that, I would stay away from entry level receivers. I have the Matinee centre, and boy it loves qaulity power from my Adcom 7605 multi-channel amp (175 W x 5 @ 4 ohms.) So if I were you, I would go with an Integra Pre/Pro for your top-notch processing ($1,200 model whose model number I have forgotten) and get a three channel amp or heck a 5 Ch for future expansion. Believe me, you will be much happier.

By the way, what are your impressions of the Theos. They will be my next speakers.

Last edited:
Hi JMS,

If you want to pursue Denon, I'd contact Crutchfield.

They know the line, have reasonable (but not the cheapest) prices, offer a 30 day money back, and lifetime product support.

I believe they also carry the Onkyo "Integra" line.

Gordon

Having said that, I would stay away from entry level receivers. So if I were you, I would go with an Integra Pre/Pro for your top-notch processing ($1,200 model whose model number I have forgotten) and get a three channel amp or heck a 5 Ch for future expansion. Believe me, you will be much happier.

Absolutely agree with this sentiment. If you buy an entry level receiver, chances are you will be upgrading in the near future. Why not just do it right from the start?

Hard to beleive but I agree also with Rich and Northy.If I was going to buy a cheap receiver that is below $1k I would look at Marantz.Yamaha has a warmer sound if that is your thing.And Denon is also good.In fact their are many decent receivers but none will have that killer sound compared to a high end integrated or separates.

Hi all,
Big thanks to all that replied and gave me some advice. Looks like I ll have to go for the higher receiver. I kind of new that I would have to head that way but was hoping that I d get away with a cheaper receiver and use the power amp to do the theos justice but seems that there's more than the power difference that comes into the equation in regards to cheaper vs more expansive receivers.
As for arc am, yes I know there very good musically but even a dealer that does stock and carry a ram, said he d be reluctant to sell me one as far too many come back with issues..
I currently have a mrx500 and may give that a go for a while until I can get a lot more dollars and buy something really decent in terms of receiver or may be a pro...

NORTHY,YOU ASKED ME HOW I AM ENJOYING THE THEOS, they are splendid physically and sonically, they have close to 80 hours on them now and have not spend much time and consideration to tweaking as fairly busy with building of new house, uni, kids.... But so far they are great. Though, I already have the upgrade itch and want to try the ethos. If the Ethos Sound better than theos + depth, than I may well and truly exchange the theos and su and just get the ethos. Though m not sure of how they really compare to each other. Will I really miss the sub at times or do the ethos really outshine the theos and sub combo...

Thanks Jmstpierre for your opinion. I have not heard either speaker. But based on the ML website. The pannel on the two speakers are identical. The Ethos advantage is having a passive radiator vs. a port on the Theos. The flip side is that you can have an awsome amp such as a Bryston which has outstanding grip on the woofer, dedicated to powering up the driver in Theos whereas the Ethos has its own amplfier. I am sure the internal amp is a very capable unit. Moreover, you have three woofers in Depth compared to only one in either speaker. I would stay put with the current set-up. But if you do audition the Ethos, please let us know. After all, it will be your ears that should be the ultimate judge.

Last edited:
Back