AVR advise

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marklar182

Reaction score
I had a Rotel RSX-1560 on the way (so I thought) but the guy bulked.

So, before I head over to the local dealer to pick one up there, anyone have any recommendations on other AVR's to try?

whats the application? what are they running and whats your focus?

Hi Mark,

Given the impedance issues with ML speakers, the consensus is that an AVR is likely not up to the task of driving the speaker.

Given the fact that the Source was designed for folks who wish to use an AVR, you may be happy with a different AVR.

Most folks will tell you to use the AVR as a preamp only, and to use the amp outputs to drive a dedicated amplifier, if you want to optimize performance.

You may want to consider Outlaw electronics. Big bang for the buck. Other on line choices are also available.

And, of course, there's always Audiogon regarding used gear.

Good luck.

GG

PS: If you want to buy an AVR and be happy with the results, I suggest you check out Arcam.

Last edited:
whats the application? what are they running and whats your focus?

I am looking for a nice higher end entry level AVR. HDMI in/out, and video processing. I want to run all my video in and one output only to my display.

I do want something that will put out some power to the Source's for 2 channel music.

Future plans is to move to Vista's for the fronts in the future, and move the Source's to the rear.

I've got the Rotel 1560 & love it!! It drive's my Clarity's quite nicely. Absolutely no regrets.

I did get caught up in the 'if you have an AVR, eventually get an external amp' and did go that route. Though there are benefits, the 1560 will do you quite nicely.

BYW, did audition some Vista's last week and as much as I would love them (also got an incredible price on them with no haggling), they're not in the budget right now. Maybe in a year or two.

I have absolutely no hesitation recommending the 1560. If you do move to the Vista's eventually, you always have the option of an external amp. Either way, you will not be disappointed. (still think the Rotel 15 series is way under-rated)

I am looking for a nice higher end entry level AVR. HDMI in/out, and video processing. I want to run all my video in and one output only to my display.

I do want something that will put out some power to the Source's for 2 channel music.

Future plans is to move to Vista's for the fronts in the future, and move the Source's to the rear.
ok whats your budget?

Hi Mark,

I use an Arcam AVR600 to drive my Spires. However, these already have amps driving the bass, so the amplification is mostly for the panel. The AVR is VERY musical and the video capabilities are excellent.

However, you could buy separates for the same price. In my case I have limited space and separates was not an option.

Best of luck. Keep us posted.

As big as Texas is and you have no space, that is unheard of.:D

Seriously, have you considered using a Universal Disc Player like the OPPO 83SE. At least you would have need for only one disc player no matter what you play.

Or you could use the AVR as a pre-amp and stick the MC amp somewhere in·con·spic·u·ous.

Just a thought maybe worth a nickel maybe just my 2 cents.:D

the cambridge line might work for your needs and budget. a friend has one and loves it.

There's also the newer, slightly less expensive Arcam AVR500. This unit has slightly less power than the AVR600 and does not have preamp outs, so you can't later use it with an external amp. However, the MSRP is $3800 vs. $5000.

So, before I head over to the local dealer to pick one up there, anyone have any recommendations on other AVR's to try?

For your application and budget, my recommendation is the nicest Denon AVR you can afford. they will drive the Sources well enough, and you can convert it to a preamp role down the line if you feel you need better amps.

My recommendation: the Denon AVR-4310ci

Latest posts

Back