Apogee Duetta Signature Rebuild

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice paint job Justin, hope you get to hear them soon.

It is a lot easier to make them look great with better quality materials than Apogee used. Still a nice paint job by any standards, though.

There's not a mass left to do. This is the first time Jon has made a Duetta to this spec and I want to give him some time to appreciate them. That'll also do me the favour of breaking them in a bit - because they do need a couple of hundred hours+ on them before they start to sound right. It is a lot more obvious than with Logan break-in - in the first few hours they sound totally bizarre.

Red though. Dammit red. Now why didn't I think of it?

Nice chuckle Justin.

Only the Brits could carry that off; would sound weird if Americans tried it.

Well no offence, but they made a real mess with their copies of The Office and now Shameless USA. The Office was particularly bad. Just NOT funny - more an embarrassment.

Gotta forgive them as their speakers more than make up for it:D

No offense taken, Justin. The Brits do comedy way better than we do. We are going to kick your butts at the Olympics, though. :ROFL:

We have to practise in fridges, Rich. Give us some slack now...:D

You know, Justin, you (your gov't) could just ship your athletes off to Vancouver to make use of our absolutely stunning World Class facilities; after all, our Athletes Village is still half empty, so there's plenty of room.LOL

Bits of linished stand and a bit of a put together. Linishing looks pretty bad until you hit it with metal polish, then it comes up OK. You can see the unpolished bit in the photo below.

Excuse the silicon implant:D

Not long to go... Rich will post his system when they're done. He's promised. Really.

DSCF0350_zps98cd0145.jpg

DSCF0348_zpsb0b8b58d.jpg

DSCF0358_zps10b3ca83.jpg

DSCF0356_zpsc7c08ae6.jpg

DSCF0357_zpsca9e1399.jpg

I'm curious to see if the design works appreciably better than the ones I have now, more than anything Brad. The way they are braced was basically my idea refined by Jon. In some ways it'll be a relief if they are no worse:)

Anyway, should be a nice pair of speakers and TBH I can't find anything I like better that stands a chance of working in my house. Should be good for ten+ years unless someone comes out with a new speaker tech that really is much better than these. I can't find anything I like more for anywhere like the money.

A member of our local listening group had a pair of them in a bit rough condition. Even in less than stellar condition they had very impressive sound. I keep looking on line and dreaming. I think one day I am going to find the right pair (cheap) and try the rebuild route. Worst case I resell them.

I think you have space for Divas, Brad. And re-capping on what you did with your CLS, I'd say you want a really bad pair of Divas - for two things. The magnets, which aren't cheap, and the perforated grid they are attached too, plus the mid and treble unit assemblies to either use or improve on.

Then do the obvious - build them like tanks, with new frames and thicker covers etc etc. Once you start thinking about it, it is really not hard to think of loads of ways to make them better:) Good luck if you go that route. If you do it, the CLS, I predict, won't last long:)

Duettas will be a lot easier to work with - and cost less too. Swings and roundabouts and all that.

Here's some help, a series of re-ribbon videos for Calipers: https://www.youtube.com/user/minsky57/videos?flow=grid&view=0.

Recommend you do all the work apart from the re-ribboning, as you may find it difficult to get bass panels anyway. Graz isn't keen on anyone doing that by themselves due to so much trouble in the early days. Basically supplying bass ribbons to clueless people who thought they could do it turned out to be more trouble than it was worth.

Back