Apogee Duetta Signature Rebuild

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tell me more Paul - have you a link to one near me (or pref. Birmingham?).

If anyone has any ideas for this project that would result in a better speaker please say so. Good ideas will probably make it into the speaker.

Thanks to Ps68, I went through a phase of considering paints available from here: Custom Creation Paints. If you go to YouTube and search for the company name you'll find a lot of videos. Ultimately, I have decided against it - they're "a bit too much", I think.

With regards to progress, the design has changed a bit as we are moving on, with a long sequence of extended phone conversations with the builder.

Gone are the acrylic backs. The new speaker will be appreciably thicker than the original Duetta, and will contain a fair amount of a stone type that I cannot identify online. The acrylic backs could be added later but we are worried about the weight of the new speaker and getting them into position may prove difficult. Dropping the acrylic and moving the speaker downstairs without the covers should assist in this.

There are some other internal changes I am not at liberty to describe. This is a real drag as I'm sure people would find it interesting but the builder has to maintain some element of secrecy. I am instructed NOT to tell people how to build them! I have some pretty detailed CAD images of how they are being put together which I'd like to post, but hey...:(

Things are starting to take shape. Shots are of the rear with the front cover apertures not yet cut. Whilst it might not look like it, they do have the 4 degree vertical side slope of an original Apogee.

The speaker is thicker due to a much more substantial construction. Aluminium frame bracing yet to be installed, but the stands have been made. When I have photos I'll post them.

Attachments

• Image052.jpg
    Image052.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 2,090
  • Image048.jpg
    Image048.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 1,905
  • Image049.jpg
    Image049.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 2,009
  • Image050.jpg
    Image050.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 1,941
They aren't necessarily anything, Bernard.

But they are definately worth maintaining with a bit more than a wimper.

What the...... I must've been asleep at the switch in late January.

Looks like an incredibly fun journey, Justin. What's next - billet titanium frames?

Ken - hm, this is the last pair... promise! Only replacing all the wood with titanium might be interesting. Will you "lend" me the money?:ROFL:

Bernard, on reflection technically they are still Apogees as Graz owns the company these days and they're being built by a Graz approved restorer. They will have original bits and new Graz bits in too.

Ken - hm, this is the last pair... promise! Only replacing all the wood with titanium might be interesting. Will you "lend" me the money?:ROFL:
A Nigerian money order is on the way.:p

Bernard, on reflection technically they are still Apogees as Graz owns the company these days and they're being built by a Graz approved restorer. They will have original bits and new Graz bits in too.
Justin, isn't this a bit of a stretch.....a cousin of a cousin, etc.? :p

Justin ---

With all of the money you have put into the Apogees -- Just think how many pairs of Ascent panels you could have purchased!! :D hahaha...... sorry I just couldn't help myself.... Looks like an awesome and exciting journey... Do you still have the old re-builds - and are you going to be able to do an A/B on them? -- timm.

Justin ---

With all of the money you have put into the Apogees -- Just think how many pairs of Ascent panels you could have purchased!! :D hahaha...... sorry I just couldn't help myself.... Looks like an awesome and exciting journey... Do you still have the old re-builds - and are you going to be able to do an A/B on them? -- timm.

I still have the original rebuilds. The new ones will take a good while to break in so A/B is going to be hard. They really do sound off to begin with - worse than breaking in an ML by a stretch. But once they're on form....:rocker:

These are custom builds but I should hear something made by Graz soon enough which will be a commercial product. They are expensive, though... > CLX money.

I still have the original rebuilds. The new ones will take a good while to break in so A/B is going to be hard. They really do sound off to begin with - worse than breaking in an ML by a stretch. But once they're on form....:rocker:

These are custom builds but I should hear something made by Graz soon enough which will be a commercial product. They are expensive, though... > CLX money.

Booyah!! :cool:

A few stand pics. Unfinished. These aren't welded so they can be taken apart to do the linishing and satin anodising.

The idea is to get them to look Apogee like in finish - saw some worrying shots of different colours that looked odd and made some attempt to choose an anodised colour close to the final paint colour.

Decided ultimately Apogee were right with their finish. Plus I regard it as a mark of respect to the original designer, and now in the light of Bernard's cheeky non-Apogee remarks, to send him a small poo poo.:D

Some proper small workshop engineering going on here, and repect to those involved.

Attachments

• Image055.jpg
    Image055.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 789
  • Stands 1.jpg
    Stands 1.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 812
  • Stands 2.jpg
    Stands 2.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 781
Last edited:

Latest posts