Anyone ever heard of a "blown" ESL?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dominick22

Reaction score
I was thinking today about how conventional speakers can blow/tear themselves apart when driven too hard and I have seen this...

But I was wondering what an ESL would look like if "blown"??

Im not sure this is even possible with all of the protection that ML provides for its speakers.

So has anyone ever seen/heard of this happening? I would love to see a pic of an overdriven ESL panel!

Dominick

I read once that the esl panels are prone to arcing if overdriven. Not sure if that would leave any visible damage.

T-

It's full of stars

Dominick,

I once had the CLS2A's. When pushed to hard, the "bass" portion of the panel arched. Looks like tiny blue sparks. The "sparks" are result of the mylar touching the stator. Don't know if it is an issue with other ML models. Didn't cause any damage.

My sense is the ML stator / mylar assembly is pretty much bomb proof. It's more likely that you will hear your amp clipping long before you risk any damage to the panel, if that is at all possible. The woofers are, of course, another story.

GG

Back