And yet another new ML Junkie...

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

GDUB

In my quest for audio Nirvana I have found this site and the happiness of several ML Speakers. I have a few questions for the seasoned vets of this site and of audio greatness. I will list what I have and and what my concerns are....

ML Request
ML Cinema

These are being driven by a Sony N9000ES in "BTL + 1 Mode
ML Decsent Sub
Pioneer Elite VSX-43 100W X 7 driving surrounds (small polk audio) and some old "do not dare mention" speakers for the rear surrounds.

I also have a pair of Aerius I that i would like to use as the surround speakers and move the little polks to the rear surround wich are not used much. Practically only when listening to music in 7 channel mode.

Can I drive the Aerius I with the Pioneer receiver amp? It will only let me change the speaker Impedance to 6 ohm.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

GDUB,

Welcome to the club.

Looks like you have the makings of a nice system. The Sony N90000ES should be able to power your system but I don’t know if it a good enough quality amp to do your Logan’s justice. The Request and Aerius are part of Martin Logan’s older line of speakers and are more difficult to drive then there newer offerings. I would recommend you run all your Logan’s off an external amp and stay away from receivers to drive your Logan’s. Martin Logan’s are wonderful speakers but are only as good as your systems weakest link. Poor quality cables, or cheep components will limit the over all performance of your system.

Welcome!!!

Just dont touch me.... apparently, this forum thinks I have "cooties" of the worst kind.

I'll let someone else let you in on it.

Anyway, good system and good luck with the rest of your adventure! Tom, our awesome Prez, has your same speakers so you know you have good company in that sense! Post your system in the member's section and be truly part of the ML club!

Once again.... :welcome:.

Joey

You are really missing what your reQuests can do. I strongly advise to use an outboard amp to power your reQuests...

Thanks guys! Tom, the Sony is a dedicated amp. It is an ES series piece and it works pretty well. I don't believe Sony makes amps anymore and there probably is a good reason for it. It sold for $1000.00 back in "99" and it had some good reviews and it does drive them ok (thing weighs 55 lbs). This whole new/used system at once set me back a little and I am already researching amps.

My original worry was if i drive the Aerius I for surround and seven channel listening, will I fry my Pioneer receiver/Amp? Will the aerius I even be a good speaker for surrounds? (currently using little polk Audio bookshelfs)

Also, where can I buy long runs of high quality cable for the surrounds and rears surrounds....any reccomendations?

A very cool site you guys have here.

Thanks,

Greg

I wounded worry about frying the receiver; I would worry about clipping the speakers. Your aerious and request are difficult to drive speakers, your receiver will work I just don’t think you will have much of any headroom. So at moderate listening levels they should sound pretty good but at high volumes there is a good chance you can clip your speakers.

I too am new to the list and have only posted a few times in connection with a few questions I saw that I felt like I could give some insight on.

Glad to be here guys. No questions right now...going to take some pics of my "super" system for you all to take a look at.

Incidentally it was this list that got me looking at the 82" Mitsu RPTV...I think it is Chris that has a pic of that along w/ his Prodigy's. Not sure I have room for that BEAST, but I am going to do some measuring. They are going for $5,000 now! CRAZY smoking deal that!

Looking forward to participating in the forum!

Latest posts

Back