Adagio D’Albinoni by Gary Karr

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RichTeer

Reaction score
I had to return a record to Acoustic Sounds recently, and their policy is that they'll ship a replacement with my next order. One of the records I was thinking of ordering, as a result of recommendations here, was Gary Karr's Adagio D’Albinoni. The thing is, at $50 it's an expensive blind buy for an unemployed bum like me, so I was wondering if anyone who has this record would mind putting together a little sampler for me?

Sound quality isn't important and a 30-second or so sampling of some of the tracks would be great. Naturally, if I like it I'll buy the original (and if I don't, I'll delete the audio I do have). Unfortunately, neither Acoustic Sounds nor Elusive Disc have track samples of this record on their web sites, hence I'm asking here.

Discretion is assured for those worrying about the record company...

TIA!

I can handle that, Rich. You'll need to PM me your address, which disappeared when my ex-computer gave up the ghost last month.

Fantastic album, though a sub is needed for best effect. The Adagio, in particular, is heartbreakingly beautiful.

Ken

I can handle that, Rich. You'll need to PM me your address, which disappeared when my ex-computer gave up the ghost last month.

Fantastic album, though a sub is needed for best effect. The Adagio, in particular, is heartbreakingly beautiful.

Ken

Thanks for your kind offer! Email sent...

I agree with RUR. I find it mesmurizing and acoustically it is an awesome recording. I only have it on vinyl, but it sounds like RUR can get you a sample. A good sub does add a solid foundation as well as exposing the nature of the acoustic space very well on this recording. Best to grab it while you can. Cisco has ceased to exist, so this is likely a recording that will fetch some exorbidant prices on Ebay somewhere downstream.

Risabet will tell you that he thinks the performance turns what should be a lively piece into a funeral dirdge, but I still like it anyway.

I agree with RUR. I find it mesmurizing and acoustically it is an awesome recording. I only have it on vinyl, but it sounds like RUR can get you a sample. A good sub does add a solid foundation as well as exposing the nature of the acoustic space very well on this recording. Best to grab it while you can. Cisco has ceased to exist, so this is likely a recording that will fetch some exorbidant prices on Ebay somewhere downstream.

Yeah, I heard about Cisco. That (and Acoustic Sounds' low stock) is what's prompting me to add think about adding this record to my collection now, rather than sometime down the road. There have been several times when I've not bought a record at a reasonable price, only to have it go out of print and become extremely expensive later (if they're even available!). Mobile Fidelity's UHQR version of Dark Side of the Moon comes immediately to mind.

Half of the charm is Karr's astonishing virtuosity on the double-bass.

Risabet will tell you that he thinks the performance turns what should be a lively piece into a funeral dirdge, but I still like it anyway.

Indeed I will. The piece is simply played too slowly. Adagio is slow but not (Grave) as slow as this, this is funereal, dirge-like and lumbering, a blue whale that should be a California Grey. A lovely recording of, IMO, a horrible performance. I can't fathom any baroque orchestra or HIP one playing this piece like this.

Got it!

Thought I'd post a quick follow up: Ken (RUR) generously sent me a CD of this album. I listened to most of it and decided that I liked it enough to buy it, so I ordered a copy from Acoustic Sounds (on vinyl, natch!). It arrived last week sometime but I only got around to listening to it tonight. I love it! Thanks again everyone for turning me onto this beautiful music! :music:

Back