subs for 7.1 and two channel use (dreadfully long)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P

PeterWhite

My system consists of two Vistas, a Vignette for center channel, two Abyss subs, and for the time being some old bookshelf speakers for surrounds. I'll get more Vignettes as cash flow permits. The A/V receiver is an Onkyo TX-SR805.

Some two channel music sounds better using the receiver's surround sound processor. The "Orchestra" setting can create a nice effect. But most music seems to be best with just the two Vistas. For organ music, a subwoofer can help as the Vistas go down to only 40hz, plenty low enough for just about everything but some organ music. I can easily switch out the subwoofer for two cannel music by choosing between modes in the receiver. But I also use the system for watching movies.

I bought two subs after a lot of reading about room acoustics, which I never really understood until recently. It's amazing what you can learn with a sound generator! I've got enough comb filtering for Rapunzel! Real Traps will have my order in a few days. ;-)

Question 1: I don't fully understand the LFE output of the receiver. Is it just the combined output of all 5 to 7 channels in a movie's soundtrack with low pass filtering applied via the setup? Or is it that PLUS a special track created by the recording engineer for various explosions, pianos falling from windows, stampeding herds of crippled yaks, etc.?

Question 2: How should I set up the two subs? For the LFE channel when watching a movie, I need at least one of them connected. For listening to Bach Trio Sonatas I want a subwoofer. I can use the Pre Outs on the receiver to connect to the line ins on one Abyss. But if I don't switch that off when watching a movie, I will now have an extra sub and perhaps too much bass. Or, will the surround sound setup filter the output of the pre outs so that the Abyss connected that way will have little or no output?

Question 3: Perhaps I should just see if there's some sort of switch I can get to mechanically switch either Abyss on or off right at the electronics stack? Then I can easily have either the LFE connected Abyss for movies and the Line In connected Abyss for Herr Bach?

I bought the second Abyss to make it easier to even out the frequency response in the room. But I eventually found places for each where the bass is just fine, so I can afford to use one for each purpose.

If I'm making this overly complicated, please fell free to say so.

Thanks!

Back