Acoustic Guitar Recommendation

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The only word for acoustic mass-produced guitars: Martin

Not a fan simply because I like a brighter sound. That's not to say that Martin's aren't good guitars. They are definitely well made instruments. I just want a different sound and I can't swing a HD-28 at $4300 list. :)

Not a fan simply because I like a brighter sound. That's not to say that Martin's aren't good guitars. They are definitely well made instruments. I just want a different sound and I can't swing a HD-28 at $4300 list. :)

Kevin over at Abyss will build you are REALLY NICE hand made just for you custom guitar for $4300! YEOW! It will certainly be more lovingly built, sound every bit as good, and be built with more beautiful tone woods than you'll ever get this side of a $10k Martin guitar!

Taylor Martin

I have played many quitars before and have known many musicians. It also helps when your roomies dad is an agent for Norah Jones, Chilli Peppers, Twista, Ludacris, Mos Def, Dave Matthews Band, etc etc.....so backstage vip, NO PROBLEM!

Bottomline is that the higher end Taylor and Martin acoustic guitars are simply phenomenal the sounds are warm and friendly, smooth as silk. When you are testing them out I recommend going to a guitar center and playing it in one of the soft wood acoustic rooms, im not talking about the main acoustic room with all the quitars hanging on the walls, there should be a small 1 person sized room for auditioning....check it out, its worth the journey.;)

Another Alternative

I've had a Guild now for over 35 years and it's a great guitar. It's the top line D-55 Model. First built in 1960, artists like John Renbourn, Eric Clapton, Richie Havens, Waylon Jennings, John Denver, James Pennebaker, Tommy Smothers :)o ), and BareNaked Ladies have played this model through the years. Here's a picture of the vintage D-55:

mod
233806203.jpg
[/IMG]

233806302.jpg

IMO, they are a great cross between Martin and Taylor. Great, easy action (improvement over the Martin), and a full, rich, thick sound like that of the Taylor. Their top model is around $2,200 US new I think, but I've heard the new models lack a bit since Fender took them over. I've seen the vintage models for sale from time to time in the $1,500 US range.

Here's quite a few user reviews that will give you a feel for the guitar:
http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Acoustic+Guitar/product/Guild/D-55/10/1

Mark S.

Last edited:
I've had a Guild now for over 35 years and it's a great guitar. It's the top line D-55 Model. First built in 1960, artists like John Renbourn, Eric Clapton, Richie Havens, Waylon Jennings, John Denver, James Pennebaker, Tommy Smothers :)o ), and BareNaked Ladies have played this model through the years. Here's a picture of the vintage D-55:

Mark,

Nice guitar my friend!

Latest posts

Back