AC receptacles

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtwrace

Reaction score
What do you guys use in the wall? Basic residential qualitiy or some "high end" ones? Let me know as that's the last thing that I have not done...really don't believe in it but I'm running out of reasonable tweaks. :D

I love this crazy thing that we do..

I use PS Audio Power Ports. I don't know if they are any better than anything else, but they seemed to be a pretty good compromise between quality and price as far as upgrading from the basic plug receptacle goes.

I also use power ports for both the audio and video systems. I thought both systems were quieter after I installed them, but I am unable to tell what is from the receptacles vs what is from the dedicated 20 amp circuits I installed at the same time.

If looking for something better than the $2 receptacles wired into most homes, I'd say a smart step up is the Hubbell 5262 (15A) or 5362 (20A) or the 8200H / 8300H series (hospital grade) plugs.

Not horribly expensive and the foundation for many a 'tweaked' version re-sold by many 'audiophile' vendors.

For best value, just replacing all outlets near you equipment with these would be a 'peace of mind' solution.

Attachments

• Hubbell_3898IG.jpg
    Hubbell_3898IG.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 357
Talk about a lousy WAF !! Those "hospital grade", super pump-o-matic receptacles in high-visibility orange are going to be a hard sell to anybodies wife...

I'm also not sure that high-dollar plugs or cables are of much value... If the last few feet (of the miles of AC line between your amp and the 345KV distribution point) is top-notch, does it really effect an improvement ??

~VDR

Jason,

Keep me advised as to your observations. That's one thing I also wanted to experiment within the guise of a cheap tweak.

Gordon

I'm also not sure that high-dollar plugs or cables are of much value... If the last few feet (of the miles of AC line between your amp and the 345KV distribution point) is top-notch, does it really effect an improvement ??

~VDR

VDR, have you tried any AC cord replacements?

I run nothing but Synergistic Master Couplers in my system. I've had folks over many times who held the same belief as you that the last 3 feet CAN'T make a difference. The only thing I need do is swap out the power cable on my amp and their jaws usually drop. I've helped Synergistic sell a LOT of cables with this simple demonstration.

I've watched as your system continues to evolve giving you more and more resolution all the time. At some point I recommend that you just get one of the AC Master Couplers (you can get them for very resonable prices on AudioGon) and give it a shot. If you don't hear a difference I'd be surprized, but if you don't it's no big deal - you simply turn it around and put it right back on AudioGon. I believe however that you'll end up buying them for all of your equipment once you give them a listen.

If looking for something better than the $2 receptacles wired into most homes, I'd say a smart step up is the Hubbell 5262 (15A) or 5362 (20A) or the 8200H / 8300H series (hospital grade) plugs.

Not horribly expensive and the foundation for many a 'tweaked' version re-sold by many 'audiophile' vendors.

For best value, just replacing all outlets near you equipment with these would be a 'peace of mind' solution.

I would go with the Hubbell from an electrical store. It does make a difference in my home. Most vendors (Transparent, PS Audio, etc.) take the Hubbell product and put more layers of alloy on top. It sounds different, not necessarily better. You just want a good grip on your plug, and hospital grade stuff assures that (the medical staff will not easily be able to kick it out of the wall).

Jason,

Keep me advised as to your observations. That's one thing I also wanted to experiment within the guise of a cheap tweak.

Gordon

Gordon,

I will be happy to do that. Take a look at my thread under DIY....:D

Talk about a lousy WAF !! Those "hospital grade", super pump-o-matic receptacles in high-visibility orange are going to be a hard sell to anybodies wife...

~VDR

Not to worry, unless someone is running balanced power in the wall, the isolated ground plugs in orange are only for custom installs of power distribution. In which case, the orange helps one keep track of where the technical (balanced) power outlets are.

The 5265 is available in Ivory, brown (and I think Black), so no WAF issues there.

Not that I think a plug can improve things too much, but a crappy plug can possibly impede things (added resistance dropping current capacity).
So $12 a plug is not a budget-breaker either for some piece of mind.

A decent quality plug is good idea to do if rewiring to a dedicated run from the panel.

~VDR

the amount of "orange" that is visable when ones gear is plugged in is minimal, if that bothers the wife...tell her to close her eyes ! LOL !, oh and BTW, tha value of the ones Jonfo speaks of....... BIG, for the simple and primary FACT of clamping force over your standard 'nickle-ninety eight' outlet.

I'll be the first to admit one does not need to spend stupid money(excess of $100) for an outlet, but the top notch $9-12 uinits JonFo speaks of are well worth it , IMO.

~VDR

I've thought exactly the same thing. If you really think AC cables make a difference then you've got hundreds (probably thousands) of kilometers of the stuff you had better get out there an start upgrading!

It's like connecting your speakers with coat-hangers and ensuring that the last 1/2 inch on the speaker end is Nordost Valhalla.

As I've always said - even if it does make a difference, for the cost you're better off with more traditional upgrades - I stand by this.

Well, I think I'm going to buy some Hubbell hospital grade outlets. As per JonFo. I'm then going to have them cyro'ed. I use a place for my work anyway. Using a 20A outlet in a 15A line is NOT TO CODE in my area. I would never take a chance with something like that. Of course, if the wire size and breaker match it does not make a difference but I will not take a chance.

Gordon,

I will be sure to send you one. How's that for service???? Then we can both try it and post our thoughts.

I am using the PS Audio Soloist in-wall conditioner.... it will be installing on a dedicated 20amp. This will be my main plug and the hospital grade from PS Audio in-wall for the rest.
Nik

I replaced my AC outlets with grey colored hospital grade outlets that I purchased from the local hardware store for about $20.

I won't make the claim that an AC outlet will make an audible difference but changing to a hospital grade outlet is a sensible upgrade. The standard cheap contractor grade outlets that came with my house could barely retain the power cord plug especially the heavier types.

The better quality outlet is a nice tight fit and it is well worth the piece of mind knowing that the power cord is not going to fall out of the outlet while my system is powered up.

Regardless of the quality of wiring running through your house, a loose or weak connection anywhere in the power circuit is a bad thing.

Last edited:
I run nothing but Synergistic Master Couplers in my system. I've had folks over many times who held the same belief as you that the last 3 feet CAN'T make a difference. The only thing I need do is swap out the power cable on my amp and their jaws usually drop. I've helped Synergistic sell a LOT of cables with this simple demonstration.

None on the 'Gon at the moment, so I checked with regular vendors and auction sites. Asking prices vary wildly, going from $120 up to $675 for one run between 3 and 5 feet long. Excessive...

So I looked at Signal Cable and their offerings, particularly the Magic Power AC cord -- http://signalcable.com/magicpower.html

At 59 bucks a slam, my wife might actually not even notice if I scoop up a couple of these for the power amps. :D

HAS ANYONE TRIED THESE ?? Feedback much appreciated.

~VDR

Back