A question for SMS-1 users

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shoe

Reaction score
I was wondering if I would be able to use the SMS-1 to EQ the bass on my vantages as well as my Rel sub. They say you can use up to three subs. I was wondering if I could treat the self power sub on the Vantages as individual subs.
I am currently using a vintage SAE parametric EQ only on the Vantage woofers and the Rel by using a separate amp and placing the EQ between my preamp and that amp. My main amp is only driving the panels. This keeps the SAE out from inducing noise in the higher frequencies. This method has work quite well, but with out the on screen graphs and auto calibration that the SMS-1 provides it becomes a guessing game. So the bottom line is , could I use the SMS-1 in the same way and take advantage in soothing out the bass response of the Vantage woofers and the Rel sub?
Thanks for any input regarding this matter. If you are interested in seeing my room it is system #184. Thanks Sam

Last edited:
I was wondering if I would be able to use the SMS-1 to EQ the bass on my vantages as well as my Rel sub. They say you can use up to three subs. I was wondering if I could treat the self power sub on the Vantages as individual subs.
I am currently using a vintage SAE parametric EQ only on the Vantage woofers and the Rel by using a separate amp and placing the EQ between my preamp and that amp. My main amp is only driving the panels. This keeps the SAE out from inducing noise in the higher frequencies. This method has work quite well, but with out the on screen graphs and auto calibration that the SMS-1 provides it becomes a guessing game. So the bottom line is , could I use the SMS-1 in the same way and take advantage in soothing out the bass response of the Vantage woofers and the Rel sub?
Thanks for any input regarding this matter. If you are interested in seeing my room it is system #184. Thanks Sam
You can, but the sub on the ML would have to be disengaged from the internal crossover network. The SMS-1 has had a very positive end result on my system. The SMS-1 is complicated as h*ll, but worth it in the end. IMO, if you are running with a sub, this is highly recommended for the integration between the room, subs and mains.

Sms-1

Thanks for your response, a few Questions; Are you saying that the crossover network is be disable from the Vantage woofers or from the SMS-1? Why is the SMS-1 so difficult to set up, I thought that the SMS-1 can automatically set it self up with the use of the mic and test tones; followed up with minor adjustments.
Can a novice like myself be able to get the most out what the SMS-1 has to offer? Thanks again for your input. I want to make sure I can use this product in my particular set up.

sam

Thanks for your response, a few Questions; Are you saying that the crossover network is be disable from the Vantage woofers or from the SMS-1? Why is the SMS-1 so difficult to set up, I thought that the SMS-1 can automatically set it self up with the use of the mic and test tones; followed up with minor adjustments.
Can a novice like myself be able to get the most out what the SMS-1 has to offer? Thanks again for your input. I want to make sure I can use this product in my particular set up.

sam

Sam,

I tried it with my Summits, just to see the bass response in my room. The graph I got was identical to the one produced by my stand alone sub.

You have to bi-wire your speakers. Run the wires to the bass thru the SMS-1 and from there to the speakers. You can use the auto EQ feature, but the set frequencies may not achieve the result that you are aiming for. Remember to set your bass control on the speaker to neutral before you EQ. After EQ, you may use it to fine tune your result.

A couple of caveats - Due to additional signal processing of the bass frequencies, some might say the bass signals will suffer a slight delay. You may or may not notice it. Also, I am not sure if the stereo effect of the bass frequencies will be compromised - in other words, I do not know if the SMS-1 mixes the the channels for processing and output a mono signal to the subs. Another user on this forum may confirm on this issue. Of course, you can always invest in another SMS-1 and use one on each channel. :D

May I suggest an alternative? Invest in a processor or preamp which has built-in EQ feature, like the Anthem D2 or a Denon. You will be able to EQ, not only the bass frequencies, but the whole frequency range. They say it's a revelation. I am waiting to update my D2 firmware to try out the feature for myself.

Last edited:
Back