Cary CD 306 SACD CDP

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gordon Gray

Reaction score
Hi folks,

As some of you may know, Cary started manufacturing the 306 Pro vesion of this unit. I was able to pick up a mint dealer demo of the discontinued unit with the latest software and full warranty for a silly price.

After spending a week or so with this CDP, I am one very happy camper. Built like a proverbial tank with Cary's own special transport, this puppy really sings.

The sound is exteremely liquid with absolutely no loss in detail that I can hear. Compared to the Cary CDP 1, the 306 does everything the CDP 1 does but on steroids.

More expansive soundstage, full bodied mid / low bass, and a midrange to die for. The definition of the upper end is also well fleshed out. Cymbals sound much more metallic and organic.

A couple of nights ago, I played the Patricia Barber / Cafe Blue / HDCD version. I have probably listened to this CD a hundred times. On the 306, I can now clearly hear the boundaries of the room where PB's voice was recorded. Never heard that before.

I think the bottom line is the unit's musicality and the ability to transport one into the recording venue, whatever that may be.

Awhile ago, there was a thread about the general differences between certain players in a particular price range and whether the $5K + units were worthwile. Based on my limited experience with red book CD's, I would have to answer "you betcha". Since I haven't burned in the SACD hardware yet, I have only limited hours listening to this technology. However, first impressions are extremely positive. As some of you may know, the low end on the the PB Modern Cool red book CD is pretty astounding. On the SACD version, it just seems to go through the floor. So deep and so well defined.

I hope members have a chance to audition this unit if they are shopping in this price range. Assuming you are hearing a unit that is fully broken in on a system that can do it justice, be ready to experience a big slice of sonic heaven.

GG

Awhile ago, there was a thread about the general differences between certain players in a particular price range and whether the $5K + units were worthwile. Based on my limited experience with red book CD's, I would have to answer "you betcha". Since I haven't burned in the SACD hardware yet, I have only limited hours listening to this technology. However, first impressions are extremely positive. As some of you may know, the low end on the the PB Modern Cool red book CD is pretty astounding. On the SACD version, it just seems to go through the floor. So deep and so well defined.

I hope members have a chance to audition this unit if they are shopping in this price range. Assuming you are hearing a unit that is fully broken in on a system that can do it justice, be ready to experience a big slice of sonic heaven.

GG

Glad you like the unit. I heard the 303/300 and it was very impressive, so this one is much better, I am sure.

As for those who say there is no point going above the $3K point for a cd player, they have not heard it in a proper system. They are probably the same folks who can't tell the difference in cables and power cords.

Hi Gordon,

Thanks for the link. Given my previous experience with the CDP 1, the burn time is not a surprise. However, there are those who would dispute this break in phenomena and that's fine. I certainly respect other people's opinion if stated respectfully.

Other Cary dealers have made a similar observation including the person I bought the CDP 1 from and the dealer I purchased the 306 from.

For me, I'm a believer.

GG

I heard the 303/300 and it was very impressive, so this one is much better, I am sure.

With respect to Redbook playback..... "much better", I highly doubt it !

Not just because I own the 303/300, but because at this level, ones idea of "much better" is very much subjective, IMO.

I would be willing to bet $$ that under a blind / bias testing it would prove itself out.

With respect to Redbook playback..... "much better", I highly doubt it !

Not just because I own the 303/300, but because at this level, ones idea of "much better" is very much subjective, IMO.

I would be willing to bet $$ that under a blind / bias testing it would prove itself out.

Dave,

Subjective indeed. I did extensive testing between the Ayre 7e and the 5e and to me it was a no brainer - it was just more of a great thing. I never did a/b testing between the two Cary players, but to charge twice the money, the company would not release a worse sounding player. It would be an embarassment.

The better your system, the more the difference comes across. For some of us who are "maximizers" (the sickos and addicts - we all know who we are), it is worth it. For the "satisficers" (God bless their lucky souls!), the "lesser" player is just good enough.

but to charge twice the money, the company would not release a worse sounding player.

David, by no means did I imply worse sounding. I fully appreciate Cary's Flagship player and while I too have not heard it yet, a conversation I had with Gerald Walsh (Cary tech support), he indicated to me the 'real' improvements were the respect to SACD playback.

For the "satisficers" (God bless their lucky souls!), the "lesser" player is just good enough.

Again, with respect to Redbook playback, the only thing "lesser" about the 303/300 is its price ! In so far as flexibility it is actually "greater" (tube vs. ss output, variable upsampling) and as for sonics on Redbook playback I'd welcome the opportunity to some 'blind testing'.

David, by no means did I imply worse sounding. I fully appreciate Cary's Flagship player and while I too have not heard it yet, a conversation I had with Gerald Walsh (Cary tech support), he indicated to me the 'real' improvements were the respect to SACD playback.

I like Gerald.... "Hi this is Gerald, how may I help you, kind sir?"

Joking aside, I have heard the 303/300 but never the 306SACD much less the Pro version. I have read many times that the 306SACD is supposed to be the bee's knees even for good ol' redbook. I'm not sure how the two compare to each other though.

For the benefit of all of us audiophiles, I would certainly hope that there is a good amount of difference between a player that is double the price of another.... otherwise, moving on up would be a futile endeavor.

Hi guys,

Having read thru the recents posts, I have to say I agree with all of you.

Subtle differences to one persons ear may not be so subtle to another individual. And then there's the transparency of any given system and whether one can clearly hear what a purported / more expensive unit has to offer. And then there's the "crazy" audiophile factor. We all know what that one is.

Corrrect me if I'm wrong but I don't believe the 303 / 300 plays SACD. In the one review that I read about the product, the 306 has separate boards for red book and SACD. That could be one variable. Of course, there may be other things that translate to more dollars.

Like most members on this forum who don't have unlimited amounts of money, I generally look at performance versus price to make an informed decision. However, the prices some dealers are offering on the discontinued 306 make it difficult not to go for the top model, even if it's been replaced by a new and improved version.

GG

FWIW, I was quite happy with the CDP 1 and having now heard the 306, I cannot objectively say, nor justify saying that, given the list price difference between the two units, the 306 is 3.5 times better than the CDP 1. However, for me, it is worth it given the fact that I can now play SACD's, not to mention the fact that I really like the Cary "house" sound and the ability to upsample red book CD's.

Last edited:
Back