A silly, stupid bargain

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got one. When I put it on my cartridge there were some subtle improvements, but when I pulled it off and licked it I saw God (surrounded by a bunch of purple furred ferrets with bear traps for their jaws. They were all wearing tutu's and were chanting "Tebow, Tebow, Tebow" in unison). I actually found it quite distracting.

I believe that was the "microdot" version. You aren't supposed to put that one on your cartridge. Just stick it on your tongue, and within half an hour the improvements in sound and visual effects are supposed to be stunning (even if you don't have video on your system).

There is a site in the UK that has offered me a 14 day money back guarantee. Can provide details if required.

M.
Thanks for the offer, but I need a site in Canada as I would not want to pay duty on something I would potentially return. That said, I'm still leery of inserting stuff into my CDP.

Thanks for the offer, but I need a site in Canada as I would not want to pay duty on something I would potentially return. That said, I'm still leery of inserting stuff into my CDP.

Mine is a top loader so no problem. I can understand the worry though with a standard cdp.

M.

Bernard,

As was I.

My Cary transport has minimal vertical clearance in the drawer mechanism. No issues with the current iteration. This should work with about anything out there, assuming one wishes to try.

Gordon

It's so nice to read a thread in which subjectivists and objectivists (at least those with subjective vs. objective views) can state their opinions and not stoop to the usual name calling and disrespect.

It's so nice to read a thread in which subjectivists and objectivists (at least those with subjective vs. objective views) can state their opinions and not stoop to the usual name calling and disrespect.

Haven't you noticed? They're all spaced out on dots around here. Peace & love city!:)

Who you calling subjective/objective? Geez, stop it already with the name calling. Wait, look at the trails . . . OOOHHH!!! Now, what were we talking about?

Haven't you noticed? They're all spaced out on dots around here. Peace & love city!:)

I clicked on this thread. After reading a couple of posts about dots and stuff, I decided to quietly slip away........ :eek1:

If you have a top loader you'll have to put the mat on the other side......

It depends, right? Many top loaders still position the laser under the disc (in fact, most do from what I've owned/seen).

If I put a mat under a disc and loaded it into my (now sold) Shanling, I would at minimum get "disc read error".

WRT how this thread seems to have vectored, I can only say I'm more of a fungi guy (fun-guy?) :)

Todd,

I used it in a previous CDP that had the Pioneer "stable platter" mechanism. CD label side down. Worked fine. You just reverse the orientation of the mat.

GG

Todd,

I used it in a previous CDP that had the Pioneer "stable platter" mechanism. CD label side down. Worked fine. You just reverse the orientation of the mat.

GG

Yep... didn't say the upside down transports didn't exist... only that many top-loaders are "rightside up". So when you say "worked fine"... I assume you heard an improvement with your "matted" Pio based CDP as well?

Todd,

In the system at that time, I auditioned and decided not to use it. I have used it in my separate DVD, 5.1 system since then. It's the same mat I just sent to Rich. It's too thick to use with my Cary CDP.

I'm tending to believe that the more transparent the system, the more audible the improvement. My current system is definitely a notch or two up in the transparency department from the previous iteration.

Gordon

Update on the mat.

A couple of nights ago, I forgot to install the product.

Within five minutes or so, I said to myself that something didn't sound right. I had played this CD the previous night.

Replayed with the mat installed. Everything went back into sync.

It does raise an interesting question for me.

Is it easier to hear the difference with a change if you listen with the device in the loop for a significant amount of time and then uninstall?

Seems to be the case in this instance.

By the way, I no longer consider this item as a tweak. For me, it is an essential playback component.

I hope Rich can provide some input in the near future.

GG

I hope Rich can provide some input in the near future.

I will definitely try to soon, Gordon. Sorry about the delay. It has been one thing after another, and now I am down with a flu bug and watching a four year old while my wife is out of town. Not good. But I will try to get you some feedback soon.

Alright, I finally got a couple of hours today to spend alone in my media room, so I tested out Gordon's Marigo Audio Evolution Signature disc mat. Gordon sent this to me weeks ago, and I am sorry to say that I have just been too busy to test it out. I will state from the beginning that I am a pretty sceptical about the effectiveness of tweaks like this, so was not expecting much. I tried it out first on my normal two-channel system, which is a Wadia 781i feeding into an ARC Ref 3 preamp into Sanders Sound monoblocs into Summits. It was a no go. I tried several times with several discs, but could not get the Wadia to play nice with the Marigo disc. I had halfway expected as much. Oh Well . . .

Ok, so before giving up completely, I decided to try it in my Oppo Universal Player, which is connected through a Meridian G68 surround controller, and then passively through the ARC to the Sanders/Summits, as well as through a Sunfire to the Stage, Clarities, Fresco i's. Long story short . . . it worked in the Oppo. First let me say that I was amazed how good the Oppo sounded in surround sound compared to my normal two-channel setup. I normally only use this setup for movies and listen to straight two-channel for music. It was impressive just how good the Oppo and Meridian sounded compared to the Wadia and ARC. I may need to listen to more of my music in surround sound moving forward.

As for Gordon's disc . . .

I hate to admit it, but I think Gordon is definitely on to something here. And I fully admit that it could just be psychosomatic on my part. It is very difficult to listen to a song or part of a song (without the disc), then get up, open the player, put the disc in, hit play, sit down, get situated, and start listening again and then try to remember the nuances of the sound. Very difficult way to test a product. But even with all of that, I still felt I could pretty clearly hear a difference. Not earth shattering, but definitely enhanced in a positive way. It just made the sound a little more intense and a little more clear. Almost like turning up the volume, but without it actually being any louder. Just more depth and definition to the music. And the music was just a little more, well, musical. To use a phrase I absolutely abhor, it just sounded more analog and less digital. A little less like a CD and more like an album (without the hiss and pops, of course). It made it easier to fall into the rhythm of the music and lose yourself in it. Digital often has a slight edginess to it which limits your ability to really sink into the music. It just doesn't flow like analog does, which is why there are still so many vinyl lovers. I don't know what this disc does, but if I had to guess I would say it somehow reduces jitter. But I don't know.

Now I tried this on several discs: both CDs and SACDs. I played several "Audiophile Voices" SACDs. I played a Diana Krall SACD. I played several regular CD's and a movie soundtrack CD that contain some of my favorite test tracks. I have yet to try it on video, though I plan to. I have yet to try it on my downstairs system which is a very high end system in its own right. I plan to, though. I also have yet to get my musician friend over here to listen to it, but I hope to do that as well.

So, the initial conclusion is that I believe I do hear a difference, which is both subtle and remarkable at the same time. It seems to provide more depth and dimension to the music, and a smoother, more analog-like sound, as opposed to a slightly harsher, more digital sound without the disc. As I go back and read Gordon's first post in this thread, I see that he described it as:

Deeper, denser, saturated presentation. Music is fleshed out from a much darker background. Significant decrease in the feeling you are listening to digital versus high quality analogue.

I would have to concur pretty much with that description.

Now, Gordon, if you can be patient enough with me to let me hold on to this disc for a little while longer, then I would like to do some more testing with it. I do thank you for your patience you have shown me thus far and I apologize again for taking so long to get around to this little project after you were so prompt in shipping me the disc.

then I would like to do some more testing with it.

Rich, It'd be really great if you can rip a disc with and without the mat. Checksum the resulting files. Post result here.

Mind you, if it is assisting with jitter reduction then it's not going to say much.

Adam,

I've read posts that people have done that and have also noticed an improvement.

Rich,

No problem my friend. One of the things I've learned as I age is patience. Not one of my stronger suits when I was a youngin.

Glad you seem to hear a difference. If you end up liking it, I would suggest returning the mat to me (or shipping to another ML club member who wants to audition) and buying the current iteration. More pliable, thinner, and adheres to the disc more securely. I've also read that folks who had the previous version (the one you currently have) definitely think the current model is sonically superior. With my rig, I couldn't verify due to the "clearance" issue.

From a "science" perspective, I think this item has some solid rational being anti-stat, reduction of laser "bleed", and increased rotational stability.

Gordon

PS: Rich, I'm confident that you will have no CDP mechanical compatibility issues with the newest iteration. I've used in my Cary, which has very little vertical clearance in the drawer, with no loading problems. I also abhor the "analogue" analogy but in this case, I find it appropriate.

I predict you will clearly "see" the impact once you watch some DVD's, which I think mirrors what it does sonically.

Last edited:
Back