Which ML Center?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tristan

Reaction score
Good Evening!

I am looking at some listings for used ML centers. I've seen that the Cinema and other older models can be had for $500-600. Is there a huge difference between these older models and a new model such as the Motif?

I currently have a Polk center. It sounds pretty nice, but I feel at this point the next logical move is to get a ML center to match my ML Source. I have a 11X10 room. Any advice is appreciated!

Hi tristan

I had a polk center(csi5) when I purchased my first pair of logan source and it sounded really out of place to me. I would for sure go with a cinema over a motif for price to performance ratio as cinema's can be had for cheap. Be patient and watch ebay for deals and remember that condition is everything when it comes to this tech. You could try score a theater for around $900 and just be done with the search forever as it will go with any ML. Logo's speakers are great and have a huge panel and can be had for around $700 too

Depends on your budget.. I have the EM C2 with my Electrostat ELS's,sounds perfect. You could even use a motion 8. You don't need to spend a ton,the 8 would sound just fine.

Depends on your budget.. I have the EM C2 with my Electrostat ELS's,sounds perfect. You could even use a motion 8. You don't need to spend a ton,the 8 would sound just fine.
I'm the same as you ML Goat. I matched all my speakers (Electro-Motion series (ESLs) front left/right, the C2 for center, and the FX2 for surround rears left/right.

Ah,I see you have the FX2's,I'm jealous.. I'm running Def Tech 8040bp surrounds right now.. I'll move them to the rear when I get the FX2's.

Hi Tristan,

I managed to get a demo Matinee for $825 from a store last month. it is a fanatastic speaker considering it was selling for $1,500 back in 2008 when it hit the market. I have connected it to an Adcom amp with plenty of current which it loves. It is still not fully broken in but I notice gradual improvemnts. IMHO, you should boost your budget and buy a stat centre channel. You will not regret it. The startling attack and decay of the soundtracks justify the high price.

Thanks for all the advice gents. I'm finding it hard to decide between buying a Cinema or Cinema i for around $550/$600 used or pulling the trigger on a new Matinee for a around $1k. I'm struggling to determine if the extra $500 is worth it for something newer. If I could find a used Theatre I would probably go that direction. Any perspective on the pros/cons of newer stat center vs old would be really helpful!

I know any of the above options will be a HUGE upgrade from my Polk CS2!

I'm looking to replace my old Energy Encore 6 center speaker (I have ML Theos as my mains). Most of the ML centers are too large according to my wife :D, so can someone recommend one that would be an improvement but still relatively small? (18-20 inches wide) One that seems appealing (and is about the right size) is the PSB Synchrony Two C--has anyone had experience with it?

How is it possible your wife went along with the Theo's and says the other Logan's are too big? Which ones is she referring to? You want to match the Theo's and the center,a PSB isn't gonna do it. Get a Martin Logan EM C2. That will match. Motion 8 is quite a bit smaller. The electrostat centers are very expensive and bigger. Here's a pic of my center.

Attachments

• ML and Panny.jpg
    ML and Panny.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 2,080
  • EM C2.jpg
    EM C2.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 1,802
How is it possible your wife went along with the Theo's and says the other Logan's are too big? Which ones is she referring to? You want to match the Theo's and the center,a PSB isn't gonna do it. Get a Martin Logan EM C2. That will match. Motion 8 is quite a bit smaller. The electrostat centers are very expensive and bigger. Here's a pic of my center.

The horizontal space of a Stage, Motif, or older Cinema would wipe out the area in front of our (unused) fireplace, and all of her bottles and nicknacks would have to go! Anything better than my current Energy would not fit on the mantle below the wall-mounted TV; thus, it has to go on the floor in front of the fireplace. The EM C2 is a possibility, but it would have to go on a stand, which is not an insurmountable problem...I hope! Thanks.

Last edited:
I mount my stage on the ceiling. I brought it down to about 6.5' a,Bose the floor, or2' above the tv . It works fine if you can do the hardware and wiring The stage, or cinema can be mounted vertically but you need very firm bolts to the ceiling to the studs etc.
ML can provide advice if you choose to go this route.

When I purchased my stage I got the people I bought it from to do the installation.

J

Do you have a flat screen mounted on the wall? If you do you could get a motion 8 and mount it under the tv on the wall. Where is your energy center at,and which one is it?

Yes, but there is only 4.75" of space between the mantle and the bottom of the TV, plus the mantle is only 7.5" deep. I have an Energy Encore 6 center sitting on the mantle--it just barely fits. I'm thinking about an Electromotion C2 on a stand...that might work. Even though it isn't electrostatic, I'm sure it will sound infinitely better than the Encore!

A picture or two is worth 1000 words!

DSC_0026.jpg

DSC_0027.jpg

A motion 8 will fit in there just fine. What about raising your tv a little?

A motion 8 will fit in there just fine. What about raising your tv a little?

I agree, you may get some more options by raising the TV just a little bit. Although you don't want the vertical viewing angle to far off, you may have to tilt the TV down a bit for the viewers. Also, you may want to move the fronts out from the wall a bit. ML's like to be off the back wall, it really brings out the soundstage. Definitely looks like a very nice setup, congrats.

Maybe try moving the tv some other place, I always thought the reference screen viewing height was one third below eye level. My neck would get sore looking way up at that tv

I had to lower mine about 6". You should throw a pic up of the whole front view so we can get a better idea.. I hate where some builders put fireplaces,really limits tv space..

Back