If not ML...what other speaker?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daveneumann

Reaction score
I thought it might be interesting to hear about what other speakers forum members would own, if not ML or after ML. Ever get tempted to try something else? What's next on your "list" after MLs?

Sure, I know we all think MLs are great, which they are. But every speaker technology has its strengths and weaknesses.

For me, after owning Quads and now Spires, I'd probably go back to dynamic driver speakers like Revel Salon II or maybe one of the new Utopia Be line.

Let's hear from you!

sold my vantages - liked them but really wanted to get a true full range speaker. will take delivery (hopefully) in a week of my new emerald physics 2.3's.

If I had the coin I'd likely go for the CLX. But, if I had a LOT of coin I'd have to consider Avalon Indra's or Edilon's or one of the EM series from JM Labs. I'd also have to give a listen to some of the bigger Von Schweikerts, or Usher BE's or Accapella's or...

There are only a handful of speakers I like as much as ML (That I've heard anyway), for a reasonable cost:

Audio Physic
and;
ProAC

These two were serious contenders when I bought my Vistas.

OTOH, if I had unlimited dosh, (if not the CLX) it'd be either of

ADAM Tensor
or;
Avalon Isis

Funnily enough, the CLX did say around 200-12000 Hz better than either of these.

Last edited:
While I've yet to hear any speakers really excite me, that cost even near what my Spire / Velodyne set-up did(I assume were speaking 'new' here, for we know what a CLS/sub set-up can do), therfore there's nothing in that price range I'd even consider......now if my budget was without limits....for me it would be easy...Avalon Sentinels, or if I needed to come back to reality........Hansen 'Knight'.

Again, while I'm extremly pleased with my present set-up if I were starting from scratch and wanted to control $$ spent, IMO the combination of Maggie 1.6's and competent Servo based sub would be ...'stellar' !!

Last edited:
Maggie 20.1s - price wise - they are realistic (and I think a bargain @ 12K??) when compared to the others - and they are just so frigging huge -- I love that.... I have heard them - I really like them.

I have rolled literally dozens of speakers through my system over the years. When I couldn't find exactly what I wanted, I built them. Well actually went through a few iterations to hit it spot on. The drivers are JBL 2235H woofers, Altec 802-8G driver mounted to Altec 511B horns and JBL 077 slot tweeters.

livingroom052509.jpg

I have listened to these for three years now. This past week I finally took the drives out to veneer them. Here are the cabinets waiting for the high gloss finish.

w41.jpg

Last edited:
I got a chance to give the Sound Lab speakers a good listen about a month back. I would put these on my short list of speakers I could live with for a long time. I may go after a set of M1-PX way out in the future.

Vandersteen Quatro's (Wood or Sock Version). I have spent a considerable amount of time listening to these and they have truly impressed me.

Glen

I'd love to try a set of horns, perhaps Avantgarde or Klipsch, powered by a few watts of SET amplification. This would have to be a system secondary to my main listening rig, though, and geared mainly towards jazz or blues sessions.

Tj

Salk prototypes. They were shown at Audio Karma . BIG Sound.

Very impressed with the Merlins I heard at RMAF. Also the Analysis Audio line.

Otherwise, I'd take the MBL's any day of the week.

Or maybe the YGA Anat Ref 2.

GG

Vandersteen Quatro's (Wood or Sock Version). I have spent a considerable amount of time listening to these and they have truly impressed me.

Glen
I would agree. The Quatros have a wonderful deep wide sound. They are as relaxing and involving as my CLS's. I would like to hear the new 7"s Richard has out.

I would like to hear the new 7"s Richard has out

I would as well. Richard has a way of cramming in so much value at his speaker's price point that I wonder what these would sound like and compare too.

Glen

I would take Wardsweb's speakers!!!!!!!!!!

Actually I used to own and enjoy big JBL 200 studiomasters and almost bought the 4350's decades ago. Because I listen primarily to rock music, horns do it for me. I would still love to own a pair of 4350's.

My speaker listening is not up to date and limited in Alaska. A friend had Avalon Eidolons powered by Mojeski (sp?) tube monoblocks that was pretty amazing. the best box and cones speakers I have heard. A friend has Klispch Khorns modded with TAD drivers and special crossovers and powered with tri amped push pull quicksilvers and switches to a modded quicksilver 300b SET. His room is much larger than mine and his system sounds fantastic. In fact, I prefer it over the Eidolons.

If I had the room and coin, I would definitely have a set of jbls, altecs, or modded horns and set system.

The speakers I have not heard but would like to listen to are the Avantgarde horns.

I really enjoy the summits and can and do listen for hours but there is something about set's and horns that work for me.

Richard has a way of cramming in so much value at his speaker's price point that I wonder what these would sound like and compare too.Glen

Glen, again @ 45k they are in with some very exspensive comapny. the pre-production pair I listened to @ RMAF (driven by ARC gear) while very nice would not be on my 'short list' at that price point, but again they were literally put together just prior to the show and is suspect further tweaking and 'run-in' time will yield even better results.

Back