ML panel obscene pricing

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And that will be my final system once again 🤗 Never ending storry...
I've had many "final systems" myself. Speakers and turntables tend to remain constant though. I've had my CLS II's for 10 years, before that ML Ascents for probably about 10 years. I've had my SOTA Star TT since around 1990. Before that, a Thorens TD125 with a SME 3009 arm, with a Rabco SL8E before that, and my AR XA before that, my first real piece of hi fi gear that I got at age 16. The TT's have seen many carts, but nothing even close to one a year. Amps, preamps, disk players, DACs, music streamers (including every generation of Squeezebox) have seen far more churn. But my CLS's driven by Parasound JC-1's is the back end of my "final system", barring unforeseen circumstances. Yes I'll repanel the CLS's if they're still available and they go before I do.

I've had many "final systems" myself. Speakers and turntables tend to remain constant though. I've had my CLS II's for 10 years, before that ML Ascents for probably about 10 years. I've had my SOTA Star TT since around 1990. Before that, a Thorens TD125 with a SME 3009 arm, with a Rabco SL8E before that, and my AR XA before that, my first real piece of hi fi gear that I got at age 16. The TT's have seen many carts, but nothing even close to one a year. Amps, preamps, disk players, DACs, music streamers (including every generation of Squeezebox) have seen far more churn. But my CLS's driven by Parasound JC-1's is the back end of my "final system", barring unforeseen circumstances. Yes I'll repanel the CLS's if they're still available and they go before I do.
My Prodigy speakers I bought from the auction of a doctor that passed away. Someday they may be auctioned off again when I pass!

Fun memories... only turntable I ever had (after the family PYE all-in-one-box) was a TD150 withe the Series II SME arm... re-plinthed it with some mahogany a friend of mine helped doing some inlays on. First speaker set up were KEF Cadenza's, then a lot of traveling had me "system-free" for over a decade, and then I bought my first MLs in 2001 (after a dozen years of fantasizing about the first MLs I'd ever seen!). Those First MLs, driven by Bryston ST-series amps are still with me (Aerius that I use for rear-channels). I have a set of SL3's up-front, and a Stage X for center. I have spare new panels for both sets of speakers, and am not planning on changing speakers or amps out. Period. I might go the active XO/bi-amp route if I ever have XO issues... technically it makes sense to me, and I believe that such options were simply not available (at a reasonable price point, if at all) when my speakers were designed/built.

I feel your pain (regarding replacement panel prices).

Not long ago, one of my two Montis ESLs had weak output and loss of high end. After a helpful exchange with Martin Logan factory service, I was advised to first attempt a thorough vacuuming. I did this (according to ML's instruction) and the problem went away entirely.

A critical step during the cleaning process is to remove AC power and speaker connects completely for 24 hours prior to vacuuming the panels. The power down is necessary to remove charge on the panel and diaphragm. Without this complete discharge, the dirt and dust will refuse to let go and be vacuumed away.

If it works, it can save a lot of replacement dough.

Just my two cents.

Indeed - and at least twice a year you should do this - if you also smoke it will be diffecult as some particles are stickey... That's one additional price to pay as a happy ML owner😏

I hear you, but having witnessed in person the effort it takes to assemble the panels, the amount of human effort to make the center channel panels is about the same as a large panel. And since center panel replacements are not common, the time to change the jigs must be figured in.

At least one can still buy replacements for 30-year-old speakers, like my rear Sequels that I plan to repanel in a year or so.
This is exactly right. It’s mostly the time and expertise that figures into the cost.

I use my kitchen island for a work table. I know how it is.

My Prodigy speakers I bought from the auction of a doctor that passed away. Someday they may be auctioned off again when I pass!
Robert, hopefully that will be in a very long time. I received my new panels Friday and installed them on Sunday. Surprisingly the new panels came with new plastic mounting extrusion strips. So installation was a breeze, it took about 45 minutes per speaker. My advice to anyone reading this and installing new panels in the future. Drill out the holes on the new extrusion plastic mount strips to a slightly larger hole but not too big for the head of the mounting screw. This helps greatly in the alignment and tightening of the panel to the upper frame. Speakers sound great.

Robert, hopefully that will be in a very long time. I received my new panels Friday and installed them on Sunday. Surprisingly the new panels came with new plastic mounting extrusion strips. So installation was a breeze, it took about 45 minutes per speaker. My advice to anyone reading this and installing new panels in the future. Drill out the holes on the new extrusion plastic mount strips to a slightly larger hole but not too big for the head of the mounting screw. This helps greatly in the alignment and tightening of the panel to the upper frame. Speakers sound great.
Good idea with making the holes in the plastic frame larger. I wish I'd done that because it might have made things easier. I ended up drilling about 2 new holes in the wood frames.
Did you put in the stat stop stripa on the last screw at the bottom? They work well and should be used.

Yes I did. I am actually going to make another one for the other side so the panel is supported evenly. If you want a set when I am done I will send you a set.

Yes I did. I am actually going to make another one for the other side so the panel is supported evenly. If you want a set when I am done I will send you a set.
Nice, you made your own! I think just the one is working fine, but later if the panel moves down I'll let you know. Thanks for the offer.

Back