Blown Away Poster... for FREE!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joey_V

Reaction score
Z1158E~Blown-Away-Posters.jpg

Yup... that poster sells for $25 on AllPosters.com (http://www.allposters.com/-sp/Blown-Away-Posters_i389625_.htm), and I just found out that we can get it for free!

All you do is follow the email I sent them:

[email protected]

Hi!

I read on several internet forums that Maxell is giving away copies of the Steve Steigman 'Blown Away' poster from several years ago. I would love a copy (or 2) for my stereo system!!

Here is my address:

XXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXX

THANK YOU MUCH!

Joey

... And they replied to me that they will be sending me a poster to the above address!

I'm going to post this above my Summits or somewhere in my apartment! :)

Now all Systems posted on here will have that picture somewhere in the background. :D

But yes, it's a classic advertisement that made that creative team famous. :cool:

Joey,

That's cool. Thanks for the tip.

Even cooler would be to stage a similar photo setup with a ML and its much larger presence.

Actually, since I have an 'extra' SL3, I'll see what my creative director (i.e. wife and artiste) can do.

I've always loved that picture - looking at it always makes me smile. I've had one framed and in my home since the mid 80s.

You can see part of it in my system photo, but here's a better photo of it. :)

See more of Steve Steigman's work here:

http://www.stephensteigman.com/

Find out more about Steve here:
http://www.pdnonline.com/pdn/newswire/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1000694025

Here's some trivia about that photo from Wikipedia:
Ad campaign

The packaging of an unopened Maxell UR (type I) cassette tape. Note the famous Maxell marketing image: a man with his hair, necktie and drink being blown back by the sound from a speaker.

In the 1980s, Maxell became an icon of pop culture when it produced advertisements popularly known as "Blown Away Guy" for its line of audio cassettes. The original campaign began as a trade ad in 1978 and was made into TV spots in 1979 which ran throughout the 1980s. Steve Steigman was the photographer<SUP class=reference id=_ref-0>[1]</SUP> and Richard Wagner's "Ride of the Valkyries" was used for music. In the UK the music used was "A Night on the Bare mountain" by Modest Mussorgsky.

The ads depict a man sitting low in a (le Corbusier) high armed chair (on the right side of the screen) in front of, and facing, his stereo system (on the left side of the screen). His hair and necktie, along with the lampshade to the man's right and the martini glass on the low table to the man's left, are being blown back by the tremendous sound from speakers in front of him — supposedly due to the audio accuracy of Maxell's product. He is shown desperately clinging to the armrests but defiantly looking ahead at the source of the music through sunglasses. Television commercials showed the chair, as well as a drink and nearby lamp, moving back away from the stereo by the strong force of the sound waves. The image became the de facto standard of those who believed their stereo equipment had sufficient power or accuracy to move the mind and the soul. The model for that ad campaign was musician Peter Murphy of the group Bauhaus. "Blown Away Guy" was parodied on the popular animated television show "Family Guy" in the episode "Model Misbehavior".

On December 12, 2005, Maxell decided to bring "Blown Away Guy" back due to its popularity.<SUP class=reference id=_ref-1>[2]</SUP> As Maxell now makes blank DVDs and CDs, headphones and speakers in addition to blank audio and video tape, the ads have been updated with photos of iPods and accessories underneath the image. "Get blown away" is the headline while copy urges consumers to use Maxell accessories to "make your small iPod sound like a huge audio system."

Attachments

• maxell photo.jpg
    maxell photo.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 2,760
Last edited:
Munster said:
Nothing is Free.

Alex,

I thought your HT Demo DVDs were free? :p

Heheeheh... just playing man!

Naw, seriously, this poster is really free and many many forum members on other sites have gotten their fair share of this - some of them getting 2.

I'm going to look for a frame this weekend.

Oh... I think it's a pretty big poster too...

Over 3 feet by 2 feet.

I always thought the Le Corbusier LC2 would make the perfect listening chair. I love the look of his Furniture.

Attachments

• corbusier-chair-lc2a.jpg
    corbusier-chair-lc2a.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 332
Posters!!

My posters just arrived today...BOTH of them!

Maxell Rocks!

Back