Zilplex, Shum Mook, Synergistic ART, Schumann Resonator

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bonzo

Reaction score
Was chatting with this guy on the Schumann resonator, when the discussion moved to resonating bowls room treatment. Read his review on Zilplex's, pretty consistent with what I have been hearing about them, so will try them out

Him: I had the Syn. Res. ARTs before I got the Zilplexes. They are much better than the ARTs, but their positioning is critical. See my review on StereoTimes. http://stereotimes.com/post/zilplex-resonant-devices

Me: Thanks. Nice review. So essentially if I can get them all in position, the zilplex will work better but if I going to get compromised I should go for the ART.
I have shunmooks right now

Him: No, the Synergistics are critical also. So are Shunmooks. I remember tuning speakers with changing positions an 1/8th inch and rotating them.

Norm

I trust everyone will behave themselves and not cause this thread to be closed.

GG

Hahahahahahaha, Gordon... I think that we should open a thread with snake oil and mamo jambo acoustical treats believers only. If you have something positive to say, then you will be welcome. If not, just read, respect and do not post please. This way, the thread will not be close...and perhaps you could find a good stuff for your beloved hobby, and enjoy the music as we are doing with all these gadgets. Just kidding, happy listening!

Roberto, your guitars are also acoustical tuning devices, as you've said before, so I think you should do a write-up on exactly what they do to your system.

You are going to get me here Bernard... I have five Spanish acoustic guitars in my room, and all the them are tuned differently between each other. With the aid of this tuner http://www.amazon.com/Crescendo-Gui...&qid=1399068054&sr=8-14&keywords=guitar+tuner . The reference A note has 440Hz and this is the universal tone for the A musical note in all instruments. Starting from this A note, you can tune the guitar at their strings in different key tones. So, when the music is played through my system, they will resonate with all these musical notes, because they have the same frequency as the piano, violin, cello, oboe, clarinet, fagot, all musical instruments, due to the sympathetic resonance. The energy of the music through my speakers, will make the to sing along with the music played...given a special, more natural decay of every musical note. This happens in the very low level, but it is enough to enricher my sound to a point where I am very happy with the results. The piano has more harmonic content, and stays singing longer (1000/seconds). It does not disturb the listener and because it is just like a whisper, it is enough to get the warmth and feeling of the musician(s) playing. The wood instruments are more here with me, the violin is remarkable natural with the right size! The cymbals stay longer. I did took them out of my room, and I had a nice sound too, but it was dry and lack the fun that I was getting having them in the room. When I did take them out, I did take the Shun Mook Discs too. They both, the guitars and the SMD work together in junction. The SMD with their 3D and stage, and the guitars enriching the overall sound. Happy listening!

Last edited:
As I've said before, I remove any acoustics from my room. Trust me - with electronic music, which probably comprises 25%+ of my listening experience, quick transients and start/stops don't go with acoustic guitars resonating after the event.

Yes Justin...I do understand it. We have different taste and liking for the music. We listen to a different types of it. I listen 44.5% jazz, rock and vocals, 55% classical and .5% in other type of music at this moment. I do need what I have. I am not saying that you should have and do, what I did in my room. As I am always saying Justin, music it is a matter of taste. You will find my sound perhaps too full with harmonic content of the real instruments, specially vocals, brass and wood. I have a big trouble with computer music, or electronic music. Here in Costa Rica, it is very difficult to find good electronic music, and if you are talking musicians like Tomita, Jan Garbarek or Jean Michelle Jarre and their genre, those are great musicians and their works are outstanding. I do respect your liking, and what you had done in your system, to get the most of it, for your own musical experience and personal enjoyment is the way to go for all of us too. Searching and listening. And that it is a good thing to do. What it is good for a rooster, not necessary has to be good for the hen. And Justin, I do trust in you too. You are always concise, direct, aplomb, and a passionate for your system and the music, and you are a gentleman. I am older enough to say this with much respect!

Through my life, my personal taste of sound liking had changed. I had the Altec Lansing voice of the theater A7-500 (with the big horn) in the early 70s, and when I had my first time and listening to the music with an electrostatic speaker, I was hooked. My first electrostatic speakers were a pair of Quads that I got in the early 80s, also had the Magneplanar tympany 3B, my beloved Appogee Duet, Then had the Beveredge, unitl in 87, I saw in Chicago, at the SCES, a pair of Martin Logan CLS. Since then, I had being changing the models for the newest version, and when they were discontinued, I did keep them. I listen to all ML models, but they lack what I was listening through them...I do not know what it was...until came the CLXs. I still have a pair of Prodigy model but I prefer the CLXs. I am saying this, because I just want you to have a better picture of my liking. I said that I do not want to be an audiophile any more...because I am enjoying my sound that much, that now I am listening more and all my attention is on what it is good, than what it not as good. What we have to seek and search is to have the feeling and soul of the musician(s) playing for us in our own place. A very difficult task, but not impossible.

Well, I do not want you to get bored more with my histories, I wish to all a very happy listening!

Roberto, how did you compare the Beveridge to the Logans? I might get to hear them on the 26th but will have to go to Germany for that

Hola Kedar...of course I did. Both brands have the electrostatic magic sound. The overall image of the Beveridge, were narrower, everything was at the center of the room. The instruments had some air between them, and also they had the life liking tonal balance (positive). The stage with the CLSs paired with the Kinnergetics SW800 sub-woofers filled more the room and their transparency and air between the instruments were more palpable, evident and natural. This reason was why I stayed with ML, and still am. The electrostatic speaker, definitive for my ears and liking, is the way to go. I am not saying that ML is perfect. But, what you pay and what you get, definitively is hard to beat, and I would say, and even paying more twice or more the model price, still, ML is the winner to my liking. In the 80s I got the bug. I had a lot of different kind of speakers and some only last less than a week in my room. I was changing them very often, until ML came to my ears. Enjoy yours Mr. Kedar!!!

Roberto - no problems. Guitars in room are fine if that floats your boat. Resonators, absorbers, diffusors, naked virgins suspended from the ceiling - anything that makes your experience more enjoyable:)

And the CLX is amazing. But ultimately it is not for me. The more dynamic approach of the Apogee suits my tastes in music better. I don't really listen to relaxing music much. I like a system that can deliver excitement by sheer speed, perceived power, top to bottom coherency and as true to the sound of real instruments as I can achieve. The CLX is a far more delicate affair. And I'd need subs, which I definitely do not need with the current setup.

Hope that gives you some more insight into why I use what I use.:)

BTW: Lampizator level 7 is coming for a visit soon:) Gotta hear one just to see what it is like.

Last edited:
Let me know what you think of the 7. I thought 5 was much better than the 4. I can't hear 6 and 7 now since they only do RCA and my AR requires balanced. As for virgins, I prefer to buy used

Yeah will do Greg is bringing one round this coming week bonz. I'm totally stoked by my 4 but only really with the 6414 tube in it, with some occasional 6829 use. I don't like the ECC40 at all. With tube DACs, the tube type is seriously important I think. You really have to spend time rolling to find the best option.

I don't like the 40s either, the 82s are quite nice though.

6 next, LOL. Then 7. By that time there will be an 8... on and on, LOL. Found out there is an Audio Note DAC 6 the other day. Not on the website.

Kedar and Justin: have you guys listened to the Kora Hermes DAC (a tubed unit made in a France)? I heard it a few years ago at the home of RadicalSteve (who lives in the same city as I), and thought it was good.

Latest posts

Back