Zest acoustical treatments in a small room with CLSIIZ

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fattner

Reaction score
I have moved into a beautiful log home in northern Ca ,but my audio room is tiny 13x10, help me please with any ideas in acoustical treatments . Here is a picture of my set up ,clsiiz are 3 ft away from back wall and 2 ft from side wall. image.jpg

Another pic of my gear and placement

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 122
Congrats on the new home.

That is indeed a very tight space for panels as big as the CLS, but there are changes whichwill definetly help.

First is to deal with the mid-bass / midrange cancelations from both the dipole nature of the CLS as well as the proximity to the front wall. For that, you will need to add significant absorption in the corner and walls behind each speaker.

With a space that tight, I'll suggest a bit of DIY to both get a good fit / match to the CLS, and not break the bank.

You'll want to line the wall behind the CLS and the side wall up to the side of the panel with 2" or more of fiberglass acoustic panels. The corner between the two walls should be filled with triangle-cut pieces of the same acoustic fiberglass such that you go from floor to the height of the CLS panel.

That will absorb the rear wave to improve mid-bass and reduce the sharp comb filtering being that close to the wall is creating in the mids and highs.

To make it visually acceptable, create a top and bottom frame that describes and arc from the side wall point to the front wall edge point. These can be mounted using L-brackets to the walls. The front edge (or some other arrangement) can be used to hold tensioned acoustically transparent fabric to hid all the ugly fibergalss. Could even use a light color fabric and put LED lighting beignd it to backlight the beautiful CLSs.

That should greatly help with letting you hear the direct sound from the front of the panel.

The rear wall of the room should also receive some treatment, but here, options are simpler. I'd suggest for starters, the simplest would be to hand a large rug, offeset from the wall by 2" or so.
That will absorb the high-frequencies befeore they reflect off the rear wall. Making sound much clearer, and it improves midrange and mid-bass performance as well.

See the exmples of what I did to get pretty decent results in a simalry small room (but using way more modest gear) in this thread.

For other examples of advanced DIY wall treamets, see this thread on my custom side-wall treatments in the main Home Theater.

Congrats on the new home.

That is indeed a very tight space for panels as big as the CLS, but there are changes whichwill definetly help.

First is to deal with the mid-bass / midrange cancelations from both the dipole nature of the CLS as well as the proximity to the front wall. For that, you will need to add significant absorption in the corner and walls behind each speaker.

With a space that tight, I'll suggest a bit of DIY to both get a good fit / match to the CLS, and not break the bank.

You'll want to line the wall behind the CLS and the side wall up to the side of the panel with 2" or more of fiberglass acoustic panels. The corner between the two walls should be filled with triangle-cut pieces of the same acoustic fiberglass such that you go from floor to the height of the CLS panel.

That will absorb the rear wave to improve mid-bass and reduce the sharp comb filtering being that close to the wall is creating in the mids and highs.

To make it visually acceptable, create a top and bottom frame that describes and arc from the side wall point to the front wall edge point. These can be mounted using L-brackets to the walls. The front edge (or some other arrangement) can be used to hold tensioned acoustically transparent fabric to hid all the ugly fibergalss. Could even use a light color fabric and put LED lighting beignd it to backlight the beautiful CLSs.

That should greatly help with letting you hear the direct sound from the front of the panel.

The rear wall of the room should also receive some treatment, but here, options are simpler. I'd suggest for starters, the simplest would be to hand a large rug, offeset from the wall by 2" or so.
That will absorb the high-frequencies befeore they reflect off the rear wall. Making sound much clearer, and it improves midrange and mid-bass performance as well.

See the exmples of what I did to get pretty decent results in a simalry small room (but using way more modest gear) in this thread.

For other examples of advanced DIY wall treamets, see this thread on my custom side-wall treatments in the main Home Theater.
Thankyou for your input ,I'm not very bright (dumb firemen/pm) could you draw what your trying to explain ,I'm sorry please be patient with me! Thankyou

Back