Yamaha Speakers?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thai

Reaction score
Hey all,

I just received Yamaha's brochure. As we all know, Yamaha usually makes receivers, but they also make floorstanding speakers...their top-of-the-line model is called, "Soavo". Has anyone tried them out or know about them?? Price is pretty good at $1800 for the floorstanding model.

Yamaha has made speakers for years. There were a few models that were reviewed well during the 1970s. I have not heard any of their speakers since then. No high-end dealer of which I am aware carries them. Your call.

For $1800 I would go with a mint set of used SL3's and have enough left over for cables.

The circumstance in Japan

Thai,

I'am Japanese. So I can explain about the circumstaces around audio industry in Japan.

After the world war II, Japanese population increased rapidly. The years around 80's are the most good years for Japanese audio industry. At those years many Japanese bought audio equipments for their home. So many Japanese makers produced many new products for competition.

Panasonic, Sony, Denon, Victor, Diatone, Yamaha, Akai, Funai, Stax, Marantz, Aiwa, Sanyo...so many.

But to my regret, most of all those Japanese makers changed their products course from expensive small production to cheap mas-production. You know, most of audio shops in Japan were obliged to chang from audio shops to ordinal consumer electronic shops, or close their shops.

The remarkable topic in Japan is How the people who are going to retire will use their retirement bonus. In japan they can get really huge money when retirement. Most of them are the generation who longed for such high end audio around 70's to 80's. And such generations are huge rate in our population and they are going to retire because they are 60 to 65 years old.

So now Japanese audio makers start to develop new middle to high-end audio equipments expecting their retirement bonus. Sony has made new middle audio systems. Diatone developed new Hi-end expensive speakers for the first time in 10 years which we can buy just through internet.

I think we can pay attention to Japanese new products now.

Shuji

Last edited:
I have heard:

Receiver = buy Japanese

Speaker = buy American

But, i guess that we can start paying attention to Japanese products now more....

I have heard:

Receiver = buy Japanese

Speaker = buy American

But, i guess that we can start paying attention to Japanese products now more....

Or maybe German. They still make some SUPER gear, but it is usually 2X or 3X on price. Usually looks as good as it sounds though! I would argue that ML achieves that balance too and for less money.

http://www.hi-fiworld.co.uk/hfw/oldeworldehtml/yamahans1000m.html

I wouldn't discredit anything Yamaha makes. I've had amps, speakers, motorcycles, and many other products and none of them have sucked. Not something I can say with Sony or Pioneer, by any means. The speakers reviewed above are supposed to be world-class, though I've never seen or heard them to say so myself. I do have some NS635s (IIRC) for my computer and they sound great, given that they're little shelfers.

But, yeah, for $1800 I'd be all over some used MLs! :D

Or maybe German. They still make some SUPER gear, but it is usually 2X or 3X on price. Usually looks as good as it sounds though! I would argue that ML achieves that balance too and for less money.

I totally agree with you.

We have many good car companies in Japan like Toyota, Honda, Nissan, Mitsubishi, Matsuda. But the only one car I really want is from Porshe. ;)

We have many good car companies in Japan like Toyota, Honda, Nissan, Mitsubishi, Matsuda. But the only one car I really want is from Porshe. ;)

I'm just waiting for James' reply.... ;).

The only car I ever wanted from Japan is the Skyline GTR. Just saw one here in Hong Kong. I still dream of this car.

Yep and they are benchmarking the new one against a Porsche GT3. Should be a fantastic car.

Kevin

Caution! Thread jack. :)

Man, there are a *ton* of great Japanese cars!
rx7-main.jpg
new-mazda-mx-5-20050308043532864.jpg
newtitel.jpg

Just because they're not expensive or exclusive doesn't mean they're not awesome cars. :)

Now back to our regularly scheduled thread.

I'm just waiting for James' reply.... ;).

Yea, sorry this took so long.

Rabbit, you must not want it to bad since you didn't even spell it right! PORSCHE is the proper spelling.

As to the other car compaines...some of them are ok. They do build quality cars, if not heartless and boring, with no soul and certainly no significant history like PorsChe... ;)

Don't forget that Yamaha builds some reputable guitars and pianos (I have been told at least, not first hand). So they know some thing about music. More than most competitors.

James, I guess it is ok to mis-spell Porsche, it seems most people don't pronounce it correct either. ;) Porsh vs. Porshaa :confused: The second pronunciation is the correct one for those who don't know. :D

Brad

Last edited:
Yea, sorry this took so long.

Rabbit, you must not want it to bad since you didn't even spell it right! PORSCHE is the proper spelling.

As to the other car compaines...some of them are ok. They do build quality cars, if not heartless and boring, with no soul and certainly no significant history like PorsChe... ;)

Ahahaha! That's right, many Japanese female celebrities pronaunce " My Porscha!" though. :haha1:

Shuji

Ahahaha! That's right, many Japanese female celebrities pronaunce " My Porscha!" though. :haha1:

Shuji

The pronunciation IS CORRECT! In German the "e" at the end sounds like a soft "a". You just spelled it wrong leaving out the "c". Just giving you a hard time there Shuji! Sometimes that does not work so well across social and lingual barriers. :eek:

Don't forget that Yamaha builds some reputable guitars and pianos (I have been told at least, not first hand). So they know some thing about music. More than most competitors.
Brad

Yes, Yamaha is a very gloval company. It builds unmanned helicopters and pleasure boats, too. I had a Yamaha's motorcycle before.

And maybe you don't know, Yamaha opens many music schools to give lessons for a piano and an electric organ in Japan, even in a small city.

Shuji

Back