Y wire used for bi amping

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmstpierre

Reaction score
Hi all,
Just wondering if I do decide to bi amp some speakers,would using a Ycable from receiver Pre out to stereo amp for each channel compromise the signal as being split in two.?
Some receivers such as my anthem mrx don t allow biamping,so i would have to use there out of the receiver with a y cable in order to send identical signal to two stereo amp which would then be use to vertically bi amp the speakers.
Regards
John

A regular RCA Y patch cord will do the job.

Two things to realize with bi-amping, you will be putting twice the resistance on the pre-amp out, which could slightly change its characteristics, but in return, you're giving the system two amps to split the load. Balancing the volume levels across the two amps is the tricky part unless they are identical amps.
Doing what you propose, using stereo amps to vertically bi-amp a given speaker will ensure balanced gain levels on that speaker.

hi jonathan,
thanks a lot for that little info. i did not realised that i d be putting twice the impedance on the pre out.
if i were to biamp, i d definately be using 2 identical stereo amps. i am torn in getting 2 wyred for sound st 500 amps(2x500) per speakers or go two monoblock(sx 1000, twice as powerfull) .
regards
john

the two 500 should do the trick. start there and see how it performs.

hi Jonfo,
thanbks again for the reply.
m not too sure if you meant get 2 stereo amp (st 500) or just 2 mono amps (sx1000).
by the way, i just looked at your set up, and wow does it look great..
regards

hi Jonfo,
thanbks again for the reply.
m not too sure if you meant get 2 stereo amp (st 500) or just 2 mono amps (sx1000).
by the way, i just looked at your set up, and wow does it look great..
regards

I meant use two stereo 500 as you need a total of four channels to vertically bi-amp. Use one amp for the left and the other amp for the right speaker. On each amp, use left channel for panel, and the right channel for the woofers.

Yeah, I'm into bi-amping in a big way ;)

A regular RCA Y patch cord will do the job.

Two things to realize with bi-amping, you will be putting twice the resistance on the pre-amp out......
Jonathan, since the pre-amp out would be seeing two amp inputs in parallel, you would actually be putting half the resistance on the pre-amp out.

Jonathan, since the pre-amp out would be seeing two amp inputs in parallel, you would actually be putting half the resistance on the pre-amp out.

Right you are, thanks for the catch.

If we are using a modern solid state pre-amp with a low output impedance, then driving 6 or more power amplifiers should NOT change any of the signal characteristics.
If we are using a legacy or boutique pre-amp, than driving one or more modern power amplifiers could be a problem.

Back