XLR cables - are microphone cables ok or do I need snakeoil cables?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gordonmenninger

Reaction score
I am using balanced XLR cables from my Krell Processor to my amp and also to my 2 fathom subs. I just bought "regular" XLR interconnects what was in stock at my local Guitar Center and i believe they are all called Microphone cable. I really have had no problems with these, but are they OK to use? Am I missing something here besides paying "snakeoil" prices for the same thing?

thanks gordon

Well sure you can use them, I am sure they work great. Although my first reaction is to say get something a bit better and you will notice more detail, but I also dont want to reach into your pocket and spend your money haha. I have had the pleasure to audition some "good" XLR cables, and "bad" XLR cables, and I am convinced. Maybe you can find a company who has a return policy and you can test them out and see how you like them. If you do like them then you already have them so no need to order! Killing to birds with one stone. I prefer to work smarted not harder haha.

Hope this helps

Gordon,

If you wish to pursue other options, contact the Cable Company. They have a huge selection of wire that you can audition.

GG

Gordon, (don't you find it weird saying your own name to three different people?) when I finally went to a fully balanced system, I started with Mogami Gold XLR's from the guitar center. I still have them and rotate them in and out. I personally found them to be a very accurate cable and would rate them just a tad below my WireWorlds for cleanliness and accuracy in sound. Had my budget been limited, I could have lived with the Mogami Gold for a long time. Many recording studios utilize this line of interconnect so there has to be something going for it.

Gordon

Back