Wow a ML forum

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plexus

Reaction score
Back in the 80's-90's I got to hang out at a high end audio store that carries ML. The owner let me listen to systems and move gear around and in general learn. One day I put on Court and Spark on an Oracle Delphi and some crazy Krell gear and ML SL3's. It was jaw dropping. That was around 1992 and I still remember the experience vividly.

At the time I was using a JA Mitchel turntable, SME 3009, Grace Ruby, don't remember what pre-amp I was using and an Audio Design power amp. I also had a Hafler power amp too. and Rogers LS6 speakers.

In 2000 I upgraded to Dynaco MK3's and a little Audio Innovation L1 preamp. By this time I had an Oracle Delphi/Linn Ittok LV2/Benz Micro Ruby 2. I was using a cheap Parasound phono stage that I upgraded with matched high quality parts and expensive opamps.

In around 2002 I was able to buy a used pair of almost new SL3's from the same shop I mentioned. Since then I've upgraded the drivers in the MK3's to VTA 6SN7 driver boards and am now breaking in V-Cap CuTF's.

The weak link has been the phono stage and I have coming a VTA PH14/15 kit. I am going to build it with Coddock and Vishay "nude" resistors, V-Caps, Jensen Caps etc. So that will help fill in the weak point in my system.

A friend just shelled out $6000 for a used pair of Parasound S8-V3's and I just don't get it - for that kind of money he could have bought some ML's. too each their own. some people like moving cones. I don't, not after entering the ES panel fray.

So now I am reading here about how to clean you panels in the shower. wow. It's tempting but the caveats are well heeded. I think I will pass on that for now. but good to be here. thanks for the forum!

Welcome to the nexus, plexus. Thanks you for sharing some of your audio history with us. I always enjoy hearing people's first impressions of MLs. Almost always a jaw-dropping (and wallet lightening) experience.

Cheers

I always enjoy hearing people's first impressions of MLs. Almost always a jaw-dropping (and wallet lightening) experience.

Cheers

True That! But, it's better than blowing all your hard earned dough on mind altering substances and women of ill repute (well, safer anyway).

Welcome to the family plexus. I hope you find a home here. Once you get comfortable you'll have to post your system over in the Members section. I always love seeing photos of those lovely Oracle tables. Happy listening!

Back