windmill fight

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrBT

Reaction score
Why to chase speakers specifications if most of us won't even appreciate it in listening music. According to this:
http://www.independentrecording.net/irn/resources/freqchart/main_display.htm

I don't usually listen to organ music. Browsing through many posts I have found that many ML users are paying more attention towards lower registers of sound spectrum. For example: "this speaker is better because it goes down to 34Hz instead of 43Hz". Does it really make so much difference?
Do we really need that much of extreme?

BTW. Writing this post while drinking a glass of scotch and listening to PG US sacd.

Cheers

Simply put.......when done right the lowest octave stimulates beyond the auditory.......and when not done right it can corupt the listening experience all together.

The lower octaves come into play with lots more than just organ music. And they also have a profound effect on how the higher octaves sound.

Underscoring what Rich said, the lower octaves assist in creating the "body" of the mid range and above but also create the "foundation" of the musical presentation. This seems especially true with classical music but I'm sure it's equally important with all types of music.

A video analogy may be the black level of your monitor. The deeper the blacks, the more one will see better color saturation, more vibrancy, and improved contrast.

I know when I was choosing what MBL model I wanted, I dismissed the 121 because it stopped in the 45 hz range. The 116 goes down to 32HZ per spec but when I auditioned, I felt it did a bit better than that given my experience with the Summit.

GG

Hearing well reproduced bass is a revelation, there's so much musical information down there. The differences in texture of bass information, the ability to hear the nuances of sound in that region, this is something one misses if they don't have it. Feeling the foundation of the notes you hear at a higher frequency just adds immensely to the whole musical picture.

Hearing well reproduced bass is a revelation, there's so much musical information down there. The differences in texture of bass information, the ability to hear the nuances of sound in that region, this is something one misses if they don't have it. Feeling the foundation of the notes you hear at a higher frequency just adds immensely to the whole musical picture.

Well said. Building a playback system that can recreate the infrasonic (and ultrasonic) information in the recorded media is paramount to enabling, or at least better approximating, that "you are there" sensation.

Yep, getting infrasonics well reproduced really enhances the sense of 'space' in recordings.

Some classical recordings capture the building (and traffic) infrasonics and if your system is capable, really let you sense the space.

And organ music, ahh, it's critical to really letting you hear the full effect of a cathedral organ. I have an SACD that is killer in that dept.

And for modern music, it's likewise critical.

Flat to 20hz at 105dB SPL (with low distortion) is a tough ask, but man, it makes a difference.

And organ music, ahh, it's critical to really letting you hear the full effect of a cathedral organ. I have an SACD that is killer in that dept..

Having lived outside of Phila for over thirty years there is but one organ that does justice to 'live pipes' .......

http://www.wanamakerorgan.com/about.php

As a young lad Christmas shopping @ Wanamakers had no rivals anywhere !

Back