Width between speakers

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bonzo

Reaction score
Hi, have any of you had experience with speakers placed really wide, and you sitting in an equilateral triangle or further away? In UK normally I get to see roughly 7 feet apart. I am talking 13 feet or more. What are the positives and negatives

Hi, have any of you had experience with speakers placed really wide, and you sitting in an equilateral triangle or further away? In UK normally I get to see roughly 7 feet apart. I am talking 13 feet or more. What are the positives and negatives

Soundstage collapse.

Partly depends on the speakers, room size and shape, seating distance from speakers, etc., but generally speaking you get a much wider soundstage but the center fill starts to collapse and the imaging suffers. I believe the optimum setup for stereophonic sound is supposed to have an equilateral triangle between listener and speakers with the speakers at about a 60 degree angle out from the listener.

Yes, I am retaining the equilateral here, just saying it's a bigger triangle

Yes, I am retaining the equilateral here, just saying it's a bigger triangle

In that case, I would think you would get the impression of a wider, deeper soundstage without any negative effects. But there are so many variables (the room itself being a big one) that its hard to say.

Back