Why difference in LF response between Vista and Vantage?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tav1

Reaction score
As I said in another post, I probably think too much and ask too many questions, but that is how one becomes informed. Does anyone know why the LF response of the Vantage is 9 Hz lower than the Vista? From the ML brochure, they appear to have the same type 8" driver, although the one in the Vantage may be of a higher quality. Both cabinets are vented but are different types of vents from what I can see on the photos. The Vista has the somewhat round vent near the top, while the Vantage has a rectangular vent along the bottom. The only other difference I see is the Vantage driver has its own built in amp.

One could bi-amp the Vista or feed it with a powerful amp but not achieve the lower response. The strange thing is that the Vantage weighs less and its base cabinet is a little smaller despite the fact that it has the amp built in (I assume its built -in). Can anyone clarify this for me? I'm guessing it's the quality of the driver and/or cabinet design/venting, rather than the amp.
Please respond kindly. :eek:
Thanks,
Torry V.

Hello,
I might recommend calling ML. They are beyond helpful. For what it's worth, the Spire weighs less than the Vantage and Vista. The Vantage does have a more complex cabinet incorporating the Powered Force technology I believe. I think that is why the Vista cabinet can be made in R.O.C rather than Kansas.
Cheers,
M.L

OK Thanks. It is just a curiosity question. I did not know ML was farming out work overseas.

Something as simple as changing the box size and port dimensions will change the tuning frequency of the port, which will change it's output characteristics.
I would guess that given the higher crossover point on the vista, changes were made to the port tuning frequency to work best with the design, to avoid running into port resonance, or something of the like.

I've only built sealed subs though, and theorycrafted/modeled a few ported subs (never built any) so I'm not really sure.

Back