Whole house audio... recs?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joey_V

Reaction score
Any recs for system that would handle whole house audio? We are looking to outfit 4 zones with speakers and we would like to be able to use some sort of a unit to control the sound... like an iPad or something similar.

We probably need 4-5 zones - master, outdoor, family room, kitchen, dining.

I went to my local audio shoppe and they had a system that costed $5K including the server unit and the amplification... which sounds like a lot. I'm not even sure if this came with speakers.

I was just going to use in walls or in ceilings.

I would second Sonos. Excellent for what it costs.
M.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

I just noticed the "Installer Series" on ML's website. Supposed to be a whole house solution.

I'm a fan of the Apple Airport Express. Very flexible and much cheaper than a Sonos setup.

Sonos Connect is $500 each + amp + speakers.
Airport Express is $100 each + amp + speakers.

Sonos does have a Connect:Amp which has a built in amp.

Another option is to get all the wires to one place...at a min you'll likely save on amp cost. You'd have to google if there is a multi-zone wireless controllable single location music server.

Last edited:
Although Logitech "pulled the plug" on the Squeezebox line of streamers, there are still a few of the originalSqueezebox Radios available on Amazon... http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Sque...TF8&qid=1361306077&sr=8-2&keywords=squeezebox

The speaker is mono, but the headphone out is stereo. For secondary systems you could pair a few of those up with a small amp and/or powered speakers, and you're good to go (at least for 2-3 years, until Squeezebox Server software is completely obsolete). I have SEVEN Squeezeboxes in my house, streaming FLAC from my NAS, plus Internet Radio. I picked up a spare Touch and Radio right after Logitech pulled the plug, as backups. FYI, a group of Squeezebox developers are currently looking into offering an open-source Squeezebox alternative, so I wouldn't write off that amazing platform quite yet!

I was thinking either Sonos for pure music... need a bridge x1 and then whatever number of Sonos ConnectAmps for each pair of speakers I want to power.

I figured I could route ALL speaker wires to a central location (i.e. cabinet) and then build up the Sonos system from there. I can apparently control all the rooms by an ipad/iphone or whatever w/ the Sonos app. Plus I can get pandora, internet radio, and tap into my network or the iPad/iphone/ipod that I'm using to control the system.

The other thing I was thinking about was something like home automation - Elan. I could control lights, thermostat, video cameras, audio....

... but Elan will cost me $12,000 for an entire setup including installation and programming, but this would be a pretty high end system (not including speakers) given that I can utilize the system not just for audio but also for everything else (home automation).

I was thinking either Sonos for pure music... .

Sonos doesn't do high res. And there is a 64,000 track limit (if that matters).

If you don't want to go the SB route, have a look at the Olive One. It looks promising to say the least!

I would not think hi res is critical for ceiling speakers in a whole house audio system.

J

High res files are more and more common. So when you download high-res files for your main system, do you want to fcuk around transcoding them, then maintining two separate libraries for different equipment?

I'm thinking of going this route myself. It certainly looks intriguing...

I don't know a lot about it, but it intriguing it is. Certainly a waste of time if it contains an amplifier or hard disk, but it appears they are also making them sans both.

Sonos doesn't do high res. And there is a 64,000 track limit (if that matters).

If you don't want to go the SB route, have a look at the Olive One. It looks promising to say the least!

What's definition of hi res? What can't it play?

Cnet has a review. FLAC and a lot of others are supported.

I like my Squeezetouch 5 room set up, but that is no longer available.

J

So for ceiling speakers in multi room set up what does one gain from the higher res formats?

Understand l love my slim server and Squeezetouch system but this is not available. Why go to high res for this kind of application. Joey can listen to his Wilsons when he wants to hear real music.

J

Back