Who has the oldest Martin Logans

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My Sequel IIs were made in 1989 and previous owner replaced the panels in 1992.

I've had my Sequel II's since 1988 or 1989, and just now have to replace the panels. Not bad for a product designed for something like 13 years. Now I just have to save up to get the panels this summer.

Just verified through the decoder that my Sequel II's are from Nov 1989. Hope to have some brand spanking new panels with a 2008 date.

Last edited:
I purchased my Sequels new in 1988. The serial numbers are; 8803106 & 8803109. They're still all original and working as good as new. I'm powering them with a McIntosh MC2205 amp and a McIntosh C33 pre amp. It's a great combination that has served me very well.

Gary

Hi,
The 3 types of electronics boxes I've found so far are for the original CLS's, the CLSII's, and the CLSIIz's. I have pictures below so you can see the difference. The original has a small box with transformer on the outside, the CLSII has a large box, with a single transformer on the inside, and the CLSIIz has a large box with two transformers on the inside. Mine are on the left, you can see the extra orange capacitors added, and the round inductor on the right has been disconnected, as well as the power resistors show signs of being swapped out.

Peter

My CLS (II's ??) are September 1991. Electronics slightly modded due to a previous ****up by original owner... :mad:

GD

Attachments

• 2008_03_13 021sml.jpg
    2008_03_13 021sml.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 931
My Sequels have a s/n of 8803043. I saw that some people have the same speakers around the same age. I thought my speakers sounded great about 8 years ago and didn't need any changes to it. Then my woofer started sounding weird. My panel was ruined by some house cleaner that sprayed something on it and it fogged up the clear panel. So I called ML and told them what had happened. New panels were sent to me and I replaced them in a few minutes when they arrived. The woofers were shot. The foam that held the cone in place deteriorated so much that it was basically useless. They were replaced with the panels.

Let me tell you, the moment I put a musical signal through it I was shocked with how clear and vibrant they sounded again. I didn't notice how muddy they sounded until I replaced the panels. Believe me when I say that it might be in your best interest to change the panels and the woofer if you've never done it. It'll be the best money you've spent on your speakers since...well, since you bought your speakers.

Nathan

ML prototypes

Hey guys,

I don't own these speakers, but I can tell you who owns the oldest MLs. They are the prototype Monoliths, which were sent to St. Louis in the early 80s for evaluation by the late Bill Hoekstra, recording engineer for the Saint Louis Symphony Orchestra. Bill was the one who insisted that the speakers be redesigned for bi-amping. These are the first MLs ever, and they eventually found a home with another engineer who worked with Bill named John Blaine. John's work can be found on Stereophile's Test CD 2. John, a dear friend who first introduced me to MLs, died in October of last year, and now these speakers are housed by Joe Johnson, Sr., who worked closely with John at Digital Options(John's recording company/label). I believe the serial numbers are 1 and 2, or something like that(maybe 0 and 1). I'll find out for sure. Here is a link to a thread where you can see pics of the speakers, John, and other members of the Gateway Audio Society that I belong to here in St. Louis:

http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/index.php?topic=43270.msg386867#msg386867

I currently own a pair of QuestZ speakers that I bought in '95. They still have the original panels, but in recent measurements have shown that they are still giving a flat response on out to 20KHz. I also have a Cinema center channel that I bought used, sometime last year. Today I completed the purchase of a mint pair of Monolith IIIx speakers(with the active ML Exos xover) and they will be shipped from Traverse City, Michigan to St. Louis. I know what you are thinking, but I got a special deal, and the shipping is only costing me $250. Once the speakers get here, I'll let you all know what I paid for them and the xover, and you're not going to believe it. As I was able to pay for the Monoliths and keep my Quests, I'll simply move the Quests to the rear of the room for a super ML surround system, which is a dream come true.

Adrian

Welcome to a fellow / soon to be ML Monolith owner. You are going to love these speakers. I know I do.

Thanks!! I have loved the Monoliths for years, and they have been my benchmark for reference quality sound, next to live ofcourse. John and I had many listening sessions that went straight through the night into the morning. I can't believe that I have a pair on the way!!

Adrian

Great news!! The Monolith IIIs arrived last Friday on schedule. They are indeed beautiful and are in great shape. It's amazing how small my Quests look after staring at the Monoliths for a few seconds. I wasn't ready for that. The first day was not a good one, since one of my Krell monoblocks blew when I had everything hooked up for a first listen. I was warned by my buddies not to try anything else until the speakers could be tested for shorts(so no listening at all the first day). Everything tested out fine, so I'm puzzled as to why the outputs blew on the Krell. That's going to cost me $252 just like that. Still, I had enough amps available to achieve active bi-amping, even without one of my Krells. What a joy!! I'm working with some brightness issues, but if this is the worst I'll get, I'm going to love being a Monolith owner. I just about listened all last night.

The ML Exos active crossover was not a part of the delivery, but it will be shipped later this week. For now, I'm just using an old Crown VFX2A xover(I know this is not the best). I expect a huge improvement when I get the Exos, and both Krells working on the woofers. As I stated earlier, the Quests are moved to the rear of the room, so I have a huge ML surround system, with the Cinema for the center. Wow!!

Adrian

Last edited:
What happened to the Krell that was only $252 .. Krell charges that just to send it to them ?

Oh, I'm having the repair done at a local shop that I trust. Something in the main output stage has blown. They've done lots of work for me, even on the Krells. They also did a major rebuild on the Threshold amp, and it's sounding quite good.

Adrian

Here is a 4th electronics design, for a late CLS IIa, which has the power down circuit in it!

Attachments

• CLS IIa-1989March-electronics(CEAC027)12x9.jpg
    CLS IIa-1989March-electronics(CEAC027)12x9.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 397
New member here. Mine might be close to the oldest here.

I just found this site. I got looking after having to fix my Monoliths. I just noticed today that the surround on my woofer was missing a piece. Foam rot due to age.

I spoke with Jim today to get a replacement. It will only be $175 if you buy without the wiring harness. Anyway I asked him how old he thought mine were.

I purchased them used in Kansas City in 1994 I think it was. They came with all the orginal equip and books. I have the external crossovers and the spikes and the grills. The serial # is 0450L-1 and -2. I have a letter to the orgianal owner about some wires he could try that is on ML letterhead and dated 09-18-1989 and is signed from Bill.

Jim guessed that they were made about 1988. Given that was the year that production really took off that would make sense.

I have a pair of original Sequels and their serial #'s predate the serial number decoder list. I bought them from the original owner (with original boxes and receipt) in 1993. They still have the original panels and woofers, and sound great...

Serial #:

I'm assuming that means that they were the 178th and 179th Sequels made that year, and they were made in March of 1988. This means that they are 20 years old now, and are still sounding fine with original woofers and panels...

--Richard
I'll have to check the numbers when I get home, but other than that and not having the boxes, this is exactly what I have. Sequentially numbered, original
everything from the original owner, and they still sound incredible. I'm sure the panels aren't in perfect condition but they're actually a little too bright, almost harsh, with the amp I'm using now. I'm having a hard enough time picking out music that was recorded well enough that I can listen to it without spending the entire time picking out the engineers' flaws... I'm not sure new panels would help that problem! :D

Bought my CLSs in 1989-used

I have had so many years of enjoyment from my CLS speakers. They continue to this day to amaze and bring musical bliss to my life. Which brings me to my question: How old are your Martin Logan speakers?

I'm not sure of the actual build date on mine but it must be almost 20 years. They pre-date the serial number decode list.

CE-8810010 and CE-8810011

They were three years old then-made in 1986.

Then my Monolith's came along with the first sparks! Mine are pre-serial numbers. Sound exactly like those from the St. Louis area.

I was told they were pre-production. The story I got was that they had been to the brother of one of the founders (Ron Sutherland's brother I think), first. Then over to St. Louis where they were the audition speakers of the St. Louis Symphony Orchestra while Leonard Slatkin was there. Then they had went to the Wichita area where I acquired them in about 1994-95 from a gentleman that was upgrading to Monolith 3's.

Now the interesting part...I recently attended the CarverFest 08, where Bob Carver addressed a question about links to Gayle and Martin Logan. He said he visited Gayle, as a friend, to look at his speakers. Gayle was very down and out, with a batch of speakers that didn't work and needed money to continue. Bob said his relationship was to loan Gayle money to get done what he needed, which Gayle did pay back.

So I got to wondering later...I wonder if my speakers could be early enough to have been some of those first pre-production models there at that time?? Maybe...?? Anybody have any light to shed on that time frame?

BTW...there is a plan to eventually get video shot of Bob Carver's Q&A, cut up and posted somewhere, so it will be available in the future.

OldMonolith

He said he visited Gayle, as a friend, to look at his speakers. Gayle was very down and out, with a batch of speakers that didn't work and needed money to continue. Bob said his relationship was to loan Gayle money to get done what he needed, which Gayle did pay back.

We heard this same story from Gayle's ex wife, who attended last summer's MLC get together in Lawrence. Good to know the little guys were taking care of each other back then. ;)

?????

Not to sidetrack this thread, but post 14 of this thread from Mr. Hogan has 3 pictures of the inside of the electronics of the CLS, CLS II, AND CLS IIZ.
http://www.martinloganowners.com/forum/showpost.php?p=61901&postcount=14

I have CLS II, but the inside of my electronics box doesn't look like any posted by Mr. Hogan, but is very similar to the one he says is a CLS IIZ.
Could it be I have updated electronics?
Below is a pic.

Attachments

• electronics.JPG
    electronics.JPG
    73 KB · Views: 306
We heard this same story from Gayle's ex wife, who attended last summer's MLC get together in Lawrence. Good to know the little guys were taking care of each other back then. ;)

not much of that going on anymore I think people almost wish for others demise it is very sad.

well, i can't find the receipt, but it was late 1989 or early 1990 when i got my CLS, numbers 4218 and 4219 - which doesn't fit in at all with the pdf chart ...

so old that the Stones were only starting to wrinkle :)

Back