Which subwoofer is best match for my Request

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reybent

Reaction score
Hey guys! I have a pair of Request, and I was wondering of what subwoofers are you using? Using my Request for music and home theater..
Most of members here might go for ML sub, I am not so sure if ML sub is really the best match? Haven`t heard any though.. And not many reviews here in Norway.. Read some in audioreview.com, but I can read the same on a another brand like Rel, velodyne etc..
What would guys recommend? Do you really swear to ML sub?
I mean there`s alot of reviews out there on different sub like sunfire, velodyne, xtz, rel, B&w etc... and you really get confused which you should get.. If I had the money I would like the Decent (i), but for that amount maybe you can get a better sub? what do you think?

I agree with Tom. I had great luck mating my REL Stadium II with my ReQuests when I had them. Even better integration with my CLS's. The other thing I like about the REL's is that they take on the voicing of your amp because of the way they connect to the amplifiers output rather than a line level input.

Another vote for REL. Or ML's own subs. Or Whise (as in my system), but I'd say you'd have a hard time finding one unless you're in Australia. (more like, even if you're in Australia).

I think the JL Fathoms match well with the ML's.. I have 2 of them with my SL3's... you owe it to yourself to give them a listen!

I've only had 2 different subs with my ReQuest's in 12 years..Velodyne HGS-12 and Sunfire Signature EQ. The Sunfire was a night and day improvement over the Velodyne, extremely tight controlled bass with music and killer deep, deep bass with movies. It fills my 20 X 30 HT room with no problem.

I would love to try the ML subs with my system but I don't have the cash needed.

Dan

one more vote for the Sunfire True Sub Signature EQ. I have 2 in my system. Much better match to my ReQuest than any others (atleast in my 17x20 size room with vaulted cellings and open to 2 other rooms adding another 20x30 to the open air volume) I have owned or managed to home demo from Sound Advice before they went out of business last year

Last edited:
Hey guys! I have a pair of Request, and I was wondering of what subwoofers are you using? Using my Request for music and home theater..
Most of members here might go for ML sub, I am not so sure if ML sub is really the best match? Haven`t heard any though.. And not many reviews here in Norway.. Read some in audioreview.com, but I can read the same on a another brand like Rel, velodyne etc..
What would guys recommend? Do you really swear to ML sub?
I mean there`s alot of reviews out there on different sub like sunfire, velodyne, xtz, rel, B&w etc... and you really get confused which you should get.. If I had the money I would like the Decent (i), but for that amount maybe you can get a better sub? what do you think?
hi,i have owed requests for 6yrs,prodigy fronts,logos,rear request.i use revel b15 x 2 with front speakers,request with genesis 900 x 2 .requests run full range rear subs run up to 100hz.note request are lean below 180hz depending amp running them.request very hard to drive need a lot more power than prodigy,s.
the revel b15 with eq are great,forget small subs and you need to eq them too for smooth bass,min 2 same brand subs.jl audio very good,rel larger subs very good,twin 12inch or 1 x 15inch best bet.all 18inch too slow,only exception is wilson audio twin 18inch recently replaced by twin 15 inch sub,or jl audio gotham.getting sub set up crossover etc you need to spend time on,better yet get a pro to set up.once you have real natural bass,you can,t go back.amps in system arc ref 600mkIII,krell tas 5 ch,krell ksa 150 and bat vk-500 for rear channels.they are a great speaker,vic

hi,i have owed requests for 6yrs,prodigy fronts,logos,rear request.i use revel b15 x 2 with front speakers,request with genesis 900 x 2 .requests run full range rear subs run up to 100hz.note request are lean below 180hz depending amp running them.request very hard to drive need a lot more power than prodigy,s.
the revel b15 with eq are great,forget small subs and you need to eq them too for smooth bass,min 2 same brand subs.jl audio very good,rel larger subs very good,twin 12inch or 1 x 15inch best bet.all 18inch too slow,only exception is wilson audio twin 18inch recently replaced by twin 15 inch sub,or jl audio gotham.getting sub set up crossover etc you need to spend time on,better yet get a pro to set up.once you have real natural bass,you can,t go back.amps in system arc ref 600mkIII,krell tas 5 ch,krell ksa 150 and bat vk-500 for rear channels.they are a great speaker,vic

Hello Vic, post up a pic of your system when you get a chance, sounds awesome.

Dan

Too bad you live where you do. I have a REL I've been trying to pass on. I found I did not want it for my 2 channel rig. It will knock the drywall off the studs for HT. When I did have it in the 2 channel, it was very refined and could keep up with panels. REL all the way!

Gordon

Subwoofer

Thanks guys for all of your answer! I was thinking of sunfire, but the sunfire eq 12 signature is a bit to deep for my pockets.. I`ve recently got Theater I and I just LOVE it! And very interested in REL subwoofer since many praise them for musicality. And Gordon.. I did get my Request for US. Due to size and weight it was VERY expensive to deliver them to my doorstep. Crazy or not but I am pleased with the Request. So if Ijust had the money I`de might be interested in your woofer. Anyway thanks for the answer GUYS!!!

Back