Which CLS is regarded as best sounding?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigbanger

Reaction score
I've been on the prowl for a used pair of CLSes for some time and have often wondered which of the series was deemed 'best sounding' by CLS aficionados? The IIz seems to fetch the most $$$ on the used market, presumably because it is newer and easier to drive, but I've read some posts that claim the earlier models sound better. Can anyone who has heard a variety of CLS vintages comment on which they found most sonically pleasing and why?

TIA,
-- bb

That is a tough question to answer as it is very subjective. I have the CLS 1 that has had the panels replaced and I love them. I am a former Quest owner. I have not heard the other CLS versions though.
It is a slippery slope owning the CLS's though as they are very revealing with the sources that are feeding them. You will be upgrading gear... I used to drive them with Krell gear and have since gone to tube McIntosh and (c2200 preamp and mc275 amp).
Since they are very revealing depending on the source it is a hard to post a general answer. It will very much depend on which amp, preamp, interconnects etc. and what you prefer in sound.
This is a very informative link that pretty much goes through all the generations of the CLS and the differences in how they sound with the various versions.
http://www.stereophile.com/floorloudspeakers/650/
Hope this helps a little.

That is a tough question to answer as it is very subjective. I have the CLS 1 that has had the panels replaced and I love them. I am a former Quest owner. I have not heard the other CLS versions though.
It is a slippery slope owning the CLS's though as they are very revealing with the sources that are feeding them. You will be upgrading gear... I used to drive them with Krell gear and have since gone to tube McIntosh and (c2200 preamp and mc275 amp).
Since they are very revealing depending on the source it is a hard to post a general answer. It will very much depend on which amp, preamp, interconnects etc. and what you prefer in sound.
This is a very informative link that pretty much goes through all the generations of the CLS and the differences in how they sound with the various versions.
http://www.stereophile.com/floorloudspeakers/650/
Hope this helps a little.

Thanks for the response and the link. I realize this is very subjective and a definitive answer is impossible, I was just looking for general impressions. The CLS IIz seems to command a much higher price on the used market than the CLS I. I guess I was wondering if it was justified in terms of sonics or mostly just due to the fact that the IIz is newer/easier to drive and will likely be in better condition. From what I've read here and elsewhere, seems like the earlier CLS is a better value (assuming they don't need an immediate panel replacement). Some seem to think they sound better than later versions too.

i looked around a really long time till I found a pair of IIa's in really good shape. It really depends on the condition of the panels.

Imo, I wouldn't drop big bucks on any pair unless the panels had been replaced.

BigBanger,
What type of amplifier are you planning to use to drive the CLS. To be honest I think you would be pleased with any of the versions of the CLS. I haven't heard to many complaints from all CLS version owners.
I think you could get a CLS 1 for around 1000.00 and new panels for 950.00 or so. You could add a depth sub for 1200 or so... with the price of new speakers these days I don't think anything could touch them in that price range.
I am still thinking about getting an extra set of panels just to have as backup.
My only concern would be if you listen to Rock loud or Hip Hop, you may find the speaker not as satisfying as the hybrid Martin Logans..
Jazz, Vocals, and small classical quartets etc.. this speaker is hard to beat.
My Krell drove the CLS 1's very well and they sounded great, but there is so much potential in the speaker that it sounds even better now with my Mac tube gear..... I am toying with getting another MC275 to run dual mono...
I really think if you like the CLS sound any version would satisfy you.
I just love putting on Miles Davis and having a good glass of Cab to drink as I listen and watch the glow of tubes from the Mac, there is nothing better....
rich:music:

BigBanger,
What type of amplifier are you planning to use to drive the CLS. To be honest I think you would be pleased with any of the versions of the CLS.

I'm currently using a Plinius SA-103 with my SL3s and I would likely use the same amplifier to drive the CLSes. My musical tastes are fairly wide, but I listen primarily to Jazz and Classical music so I think the CLSes would fit the bill pretty well.

I think I'll hold out for a nice pair of CLS 1s. There's a pair of IIzs on the big auction site at the moment, but the guy wants $2500 for them. If those need new panels soon, that's getting pricey.

I'm currently using a Plinius SA-103 with my SL3s and I would likely use the same amplifier to drive the CLSes. My musical tastes are fairly wide, but I listen primarily to Jazz and Classical music so I think the CLSes would fit the bill pretty well.

I think I'll hold out for a nice pair of CLS 1s. There's a pair of IIzs on the big auction site at the moment, but the guy wants $2500 for them. If those need new panels soon, that's getting pricey.

$2500 is at the upper range for a pair CLSs or even IIZs. Plus this pair is in Canada which adds a little more to the trouble and shipping costs. That may be why there are no bids on it so far. They usually go for less and I've seen them as low as $900. Too bad I wasn't in the market at the time.

They do seem to be a great speaker bargain when considering performance, cost and resale value.

There's a pair of IIzs on the big auction site at the moment, but the guy wants $2500

BigBanger,
That is way to high for IIz's. I have seen IIz's for 2000.00. I paid 2000.00 for my CLS 1's with brand new panels. You will have no problems driving them with your amp.... never listen to them with tubes otherwise you will be looking for a new amp....:D Good luck, the search is half of the fun.

CLs an cls ll z the zs have two Xfourms, CLs has one?

just like the Acoustats an SL a3s fullrang one xfourmers for the high an on for the lowes.

Attachments

• DSC01296_edited-2[1].jpg
    DSC01296_edited-2[1].jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 369
Cls

it well make big diff over all,well to me!
just one mans o-pin

Attachments

• MLCLSBackplate[1].jpg
    MLCLSBackplate[1].jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 363
The Acoustats an soundlabs Fullrang set up

the 121 Acoustat

Attachments

• Untitled01.jpg
    Untitled01.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 358
Acoustats interface!

I only put the 121 interface up so you can see how it can be done!An the post of the CLSlla so you can see that it has two xfourmers!One for Highs an one for Lows!
An the CLS has one Xfourmer so you can see!
So what dont you get????????????????
thanks

An here is the Soundlab

I have ML SL3 Aerius i Soundlab A3s an Acoustats 2+2 an 1+1 here is what the SL look like.The interface you can see the two Xfourmers.

Attachments

• xover[1].jpg
    xover[1].jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 320
an your point is

All i am doing is helping i hope, were is you input on anthing to do with with the CLS!

Easy now :confused:..., i would love to see some pictures most of interst the differences of the elelctronics betwin the mentioned speakers, that would indeed be an interesting fotage :eek:

CLS, CLS llA,CLSllz,

The above SL interface was to show the two Xfourmers nothing els.An if there is anyone that thinks there is not a big diff. in one Xfourmer, or two per interface ? There is!
So which CLS is the the best Sounding, the one you have?
were is you input???????:music:
thanks

Ok.. i have a past where i on/off did have access to all the CLS rev.

This is my pov. :p

The entire chain is always a very! crucial matter with any version of CLS ..., quality/ability of the power-amp should be in order even before thinking about getting a pair of CLS ..., dispite i had to collect my own pair of CLS before i had the Nak. PA-5E MKII :D
And i regard myself lucky since i have always prefered the sound from the early elelctronics combined with MK1 service panels, the monitor effect of the MK1 electronics which is very often mentioned as glare in the upper region did make me love the ML CLS first time i ever heard them, If to evident ? that is a matter which in my experience can be cured/controlled by modifiring main and local PSU of the power-amp, this is a very effective metode which only enhance the performance of almost any amplifier, for instance my Nak dont change its sound with level and delievers 80 volt peak to peak with no clipping at all, so i believe i have achieved what is pretty much the max. possible SPL from my pair of CLS MKI :musicnote:

I promise to make my own member system tread and that inc. nudie pictures of my electronics

Last edited:
Back