which center channel?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
R

Rondog32837

I am the proud owner of a pair of Vantage speakers. I listen to music and HT 50/50 and was wondering what center channel speaker you all would recommend. I currently have a Polk CS5 center with Polk LS5 surrounds (I ditched the RTI12's in favor of my MLs (so glad I did). I also have a Rotel RMB1095 power amp with Yamaha RXV1700 as a pre and Oppo981 and a Depth sub.

RonDog, Hello, well Depending on how critical your center channel needs are I can recomend the 'Fresco', and with the 'i' version coming out the older version can be had for around $600 new !

Keep in mind I'm primarily a two channel guy but mine integrates quite nicely with my Vantage's. Should HT or multi-channel music be high on your priority list then besure to give whatever you consider a first hand audition.

RonDog,
There are many choices here. I would first say it depends on your budget and the space you have for the center channel. Some have "mixed" non-ML's very successfully in their setups. I think you may have to go and listen to a few to see the size and sound they produce. Unfortunately you may not be able to tell exactly what it will sound like until you part with some cash.:eek:

I too have the Fresco and it does blend very well with my speakers.

Let us know what you decide.

Good Luck

Jeff:cool:

I thought the Fresco was a wall speaker. I was looking at the Cinema and Stage for a quality center. I want a speaker that will give me the same timbre as my mains. The price is a little steep though.

Yes the Fresco is a wall speaker but pretty amazing.
They just discontinued the Theater so you may be able to pick one of those up cheaper than a new "i" version. The same is true for the Cinema.

Is the Stage worth the difference between it and the Cinema?

I thought the Fresco was a wall speaker. I was looking at the Cinema and Stage for a quality center. I want a speaker that will give me the same timbre as my mains. The price is a little steep though.

Look for a used Cinema i or if you have room and budget a Theater, and if you get lucky or really want to match your center to your mains then get the Stage. The dealer here in Austin redid his whole personal system because he likes the new gear so well! Ditched his SL3's (I think that is what he had) and Theater for a Stage and Summit! Of course he gets them for what half price or something like that?!

Rondog ,
I use the Cinema with SL3s for home theater and it is more ample for my 16' wide room with the SL3s 1' off the side walls. I have never thought I needed to have a better center chanel speaker.

If you can afford the Stage you can't go wrong but it depends what you have in mind for your system in the future. If you are going to upgrade your mains and surrounds to a higher level and feel you would benefit from other electronics than you might want to purchase the Stage now and not have to upgrade your center later.

Try the Cinema if you don't like it you can always sell it. I think you will be quite impressed with its capabilities.

I have the theater i now and was planning on upgrading to the stage. After some listening, I decided that I actually like the theater i better than the stage. Not value wise, but I simply think it is a better speaker performance wise.

Does anyone agree? If the stage and theater i were both available new right now-I would take the theater i in a heart beat regardless of the price difference. (within reason-the pocket book is only so big).

All in all-I truly believe that the theater i is the best center out there under 5k. I have said it before and some disagree, but it is and those people are wrong!LOL J/K.

Check out a used theater i. Sometimes you can get them new in box on ebay still.

GL,
Dominick

I have the theater i now and was planning on upgrading to the stage. After some listening, I decided that I actually like the theater i better than the stage. Not value wise, but I simply think it is a better speaker performance wise.

Does anyone agree? If the stage and theater i were both available new right now-I would take the theater i in a heart beat regardless of the price difference. (within reason-the pocket book is only so big).

All in all-I truly believe that the theater i is the best center out there under 5k. I have said it before and some disagree, but it is and those people are wrong!LOL J/K.

Check out a used theater i. Sometimes you can get them new in box on ebay still.

GL,
Dominick

Well I'll disagree on what the best center is if all you list are comercial designs :haha1:

But I do agree with you that a Theater i is a great choice. As you say, not necesarily worth the coin to upgrade to a Stage.

But for those looking at new, they should definetly audition a Stage before deciding. But they also can't go wrong with Theater i.

IMHO a cinema is suited only for small rooms and speakers like Aerius/Aeon.

Good thread. I am in the same boat here, going to finalize a purchase of Vantages in the next month, and considering the cc. For what it is worth (mentioned this in one my threads), one of the dealers at my local ML store believes that the Stage is significantly superior to the cinema i. He finds it to be discernably more detailed and open, and believes that the difference between ML's cc's are greater than the differences within other brands of cc's, even with the significant size differences that can be found among them. He even thinks that Vistas+Stage is a superior combo to Vantages+Cinema i...

But, like people here have mentioned, the choice will probably be dependent on your specific needs and budget. I'm probably more confused than you are. Size of room. Multi-ch music. Its true about the $600 fresco, saw them at Audiogon (Univ. Audio). Tough choice between getting the "best match" at $2500-ish, or something "totally adequate(?)" at $600... Unfortunately, Jeff is probably right in that we will not really know until we part with some cash:(

Rondog, sorry to hijack, how does your Rotel work with your Vantages? Also, would someone care to explain what the differences are between the "i" versions and non-"i" versions?

I love my Rotel - lots of power and headroom to spare. The sound is clear and clean. I play lots of rock - I am hearing things from Jethro Tull that I never noticed before. As my Vantages get broken in more, it should only get better.

Rondog
If you want to take an hour drive to Tampa area with movies or music you like, you are welcome to see what the Cinema sounds like in a home setting.
Send me a PM if you are interested.

JonFo,

Of course you rule the ML world as far as center channels go! I mean, it would be like me saying that the the vistas don't really compare to the statements!LOL
To clarify, what I was saying is that even if the theater i were out right now and cost a few hundred dollars more than the stage...I would still buy the theater i.

JonFO,
I am curious though to know if you would prefer the stage or the theater i??
Base this decision on musicality only. Not looks or budget (assume they are identical in cost and new) or how it blends with different model speakers. Just pick one standing on its own merit please! And no, you may not choose the mini statement you have this time!ha

Anxiously awaiting,
Dominick

... For what it is worth (mentioned this in one my threads), one of the dealers at my local ML store believes that the Stage is significantly superior to the cinema i. He finds it to be discernably more detailed and open, and believes that the difference between ML's cc's are greater than the differences within other brands of cc's, even with the significant size differences that can be found among them. He even thinks that Vistas+Stage is a superior combo to Vantages+Cinema i ...
I can't comment on the differences between the Cinema-i and the Stage, but I can between their predecessors, the Cinema and Theater. In 2002 when I upgraded to my first ML based system, I initially went with the Cinema as the cc, which IMO was significantly better than any other that I had tried. Then after a few weeks I decided that I should at least try the Theater and my dealer brought one in. I was quite surprised at how much better it was than the Cinema, much more than I expected for the price difference. After only one day I returned the Cinema, and I've never regretted the decision.

I can't comment on the differences between the Cinema-i and the Stage, but I can between their predecessors, the Cinema and Theater. In 2002 when I upgraded to my first ML based system, I initially went with the Cinema as the cc, which IMO was significantly better than any other that I had tried. Then after a few weeks I decided that I should at least try the Theater and my dealer brought one in. I was quite surprised at how much better it was than the Cinema, much more than I expected for the price difference. After only one day I returned the Cinema, and I've never regretted the decision.

+1 that... I had a Cinema for YEARS and it was/is a GREAT speaker, a ML friend here in town bought it in fact. It simply does not have the sound stage of a Theater. The Theater is HUGE by comparison (physically speaking) and it sounds bigger too. Gives a much bigger sweet spot and better out of the pocket sound as well in my opinion. That is why on the used market you can find Cinema for $800-$1100 and you probably can't get a Theater for less than about $1850 and you might pay as much as $2100...more than double the low end on the Cinema!

GL,
Dominick

I auditioned the Stage and Theater i together and I agree that for center channel, the Theater i is a better speaker overall. Midrange clarity is superior which makes voices more intelligable. I think that makes the Theater i a bit more forward a speaker which is superior for center channel application IMHO.

... JonFO,
I am curious though to know if you would prefer the stage or the theater i??

Dominick, I'd pick the Stage in that case.

It is a close toss-up as I noted above, but if not being constrained, I'd go for the Stage.

A good reason why the stage works a bit better in my book is the greater efficiency of the Xstat panel coupled with the in-plane alignment of a single tweeter. These combine to make a smoother upper end and also (due to the Xtstats greater radiating area) blend better with the mid-bass drivers.

I also beleive the Stage can play louder, cleaner than a Theater i can, so you get a bit of extra headroom there for movies or pop recordings.

But, if I already had a Theater i, I'd probably find other ways to improve the system before I traded up. However, if that's the next thing, then go for it.

From my understanding, the Stage and Theater i are very close in performance...it all depends on who is listening and who is trying to justify what they own.:D The main difference between the two is the size. The Stage can match (or exceed; doubt worst) Theater i's performance while still having the same physical size as Cinema i. This is the key. The Theater i is too damn big (my brother has one)...too bulky for most rooms/entertainment centers. It creates great sound but it's size makes it a tough fit, and thus, not as elegantly designed. The Stage is perfectly sized while providing great sound.

Back