Which amp should I get????

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also try this: have the receiver drive the rears and biamp your Theos using 4 channels from the XPR-5 and the last for Stage-X. Compare that with having the XPR-5 driving the fronts and rears. :)

Wasn't there just a thread where someone replaced their Denon with an Emo amp...using the Denon as a processor and claimed no difference in sound? I am just bringing this up - because you might want to look up that thread... Plenty of comments there regarding this move...

what are these... class D amps? Just guessing based on the weight.... Can the Theos be bi-amped? Thought the new line was not bi-amp'able'....? So, how does it sound - and what kind of pre-amp do you have? Seems like they are built to handle a tough load - since they almost double their output @ 4 ohms....

what are these... class D amps? Just guessing based on the weight....
These are definitely class D amp.
Can the Theos be bi-amped? Thought the new line was not bi-amp'able'....? So, how does it sound - and what kind of pre-amp do you have? Seems like they are built to handle a tough load - since they almost double their output @ 4 ohms....
Yes, The Theos can be biamped. It has two pairs of binding posts. The Ethos is not since it has built in amp for the woofer.

I was just wondering about the impedance, as I've heard/read that electrostats may go below 2 Ohm?

To me, the sound is fantastic, but this I mainly attribute to the Theos. My former speakers were Infinity 8 Kappa, and the change is magnificent.

If you're still looking for suggestions, I give a +1 to Mcintosh amps. I have a vintage (aka - old) MC2200 amp that is fantastic with my Vantages. Their Autoformers make them stable at low impedances (my MC2200 has a 2 ohm tap!). Never had imaging as clear and precise with the Emotiva UPA 7, UPA1 monoblocks, or the Jolida 502BRC (tube amp) that came before it. I paid $600 for the MC2200 on craigslist. We're talking about an amp that is 30+ years old, and it smoked everything that came before it (to my ears). Its also a tank (80+lbs), that with the right care and maintenance will last another 30 years. It even fit in the media cabinet my wife wanted, where the Emotivas were too big.

It takes some patience, but you can find older Mcintosh amps at Emotiva level prices. There are a few sites that even specialize in selling rebuilt Mcintosh gear (audioclassics.com and mcintoshaudio.com are the most well known). There are also good deals to be found at the Salvation Army/garage sales if you're patient enough.

Last edited:
If you're still looking for suggestions, I give a +1 to Mcintosh amps. I have a vintage (aka - old) MC2200 amp that is fantastic with my Vantages. Their Autoformers make them stable at low impedances (my MC2200 has a 2 ohm tap!). Never had imaging as clear and precise with the Emotiva UPA 7, UPA1 monoblocks, or the Jolida 502BRC (tube amp) that came before it. I paid $600 for the MC2200 on craigslist. We're talking about an amp that is 30+ years old, and it smoked everything that came before it (to my ears). Its also a tank (80+lbs), that with the right care and maintenance will last another 30 years. It even fit in the media cabinet my wife wanted, where the Emotivas were too big.

It takes some patience, but you can find older Mcintosh amps at Emotiva level prices. There are a few sites that even specialize in selling rebuilt Mcintosh gear (audioclassics.com and mcintoshaudio.com are the most well known). There are also good deals to be found at the Salvation Army/garage sales if you're patient enough.

Vantages may be fine with a McIntosh using a two ohm tap but the newer speakers go down to 0.6 ohms at higher frequencies. I tried three different McIntosh amps and the upper frequencies that provide presence and air were just not present. Very dull. The bass and midrange were fantastic though, when tapped at the speakers nominal impedance.

McIntosh builds a great product. I love my preamp and SACD player. If you are getting good sound with 30 year old capacitors that is very impressive.

Last edited:
Musical Fidelity is another great option and not horribly high priced. I have an A300 and it's sweet matched to ESL's. I'm waiting to hear what it sounds like with my new Theos I just ordered. They make some powerful amps!

Well guys, I stepped up and got the Mcintosh MC303 to power my Ethos and StageX and a Mcintosh MC205 to power my rears (4 Motion 15's) and a Mcintosh MX151 as my pre pro with AudioQuest Niagara XLR cables and AudioQuest Diamond HDMI cables and AudioQuest Rocket 88 speaker cables. I hope it sounds good. Will let you guys know how it sounds. Ill post some pics once it's all installed in about a week. Can't wait!!!!!

Well guys, I stepped up and got the Mcintosh MC303 to power my Ethos and StageX and a Mcintosh MC205 to power my rears (4 Motion 15's) and a Mcintosh MX151 as my pre pro with AudioQuest Niagara XLR cables and AudioQuest Diamond HDMI cables and AudioQuest Rocket 88 speaker cables. I hope it sounds good. Will let you guys know how it sounds. Ill post some pics once it's all installed in about a week. Can't wait!!!!!

I bet it will sound great! Congrats!

Back