Which amp should I get????

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mamba24

Reaction score
Hello there. Question, I have a pair of ethos as my fronts, stage x as my center, 4 motion 15's as my rears and a descent i as my sub. My Blu ray player is an oppo 103. Everything is hooked up to a denon 3313ci. I'm thinking about going to separates or just to get an amp and use the denon as a processor. I'm also thinking of getting the Marantz AV8801 as a pre amp and a Emotiva xpa-5 with an xpa-2 or a Mcintosh mc8207. Huge price difference between the 2 amps. Which one am I better off with? Am I better off using the denon as a processor or should I get the pre amp and which amp should I get. Any suggestion are more than welcomed.

Thanks.
Juan

Hey mamba24, I assume you're also in SoCal based on your Laker tag. I'm in Irvine and just got a pair of Theos myself. Also running a Denon 3313. How is your Denon holding up with all those low impedance speakers? Does it go into protection mode or anything if you play it too loud? I'm thinking of eventually getting a Stage X and maybe ESL's for the surrounds. I'd be amazed if the 3313 can run all those, I'll probably get an Emotiva XPR-5.

This gets asked often, so here goes:

You can get better results with an external high-quality amp for the front three channels. The 3313 can be used as the Pre or you could step up to the 8801 (very good pre-pro for the money).

The Emos seem to be good value in general, but not sure if they quite have the current reserves for ESL. but then, I've not looked closely at them. Maybe somebody whose tried them with an ESL can chime in.

If trying to manage cost, then look to the used market. Used Sunfire Cinemas are pretty cheap, and if you could find a used Innersound or Sanders ESL amp, Those would be ideal.

The denon is holding up quite well. It has never gone to protection mode and I listen to it loud. (Volume at 80). I thought about the xpr-5 but I'm moving to a house that I'm renting and the xpr-5 needs a 20 amp circuit so I have to get an electrician to install that and I don't want to do that at a house that I'm renting.

There is an innersound amp in the forum classifieds right now for a really good price. It would be a perfect stereo amp for the front two main channels, and then you could use your Denon for the center and surrounds or go with a separate 3-channel amp for those.

You don't need a 20 amp circuit. You can use this adapter which has been recommended by the owner of Emotiva and others on their forums:

http://www.amazon.com/Furman-ADP-15...UTF8&colid=22C65RJYY0T4C&coliid=IVJXRAWECJM0V

I e-mailed Emotiva and they could only recommend the XPA-1 and XPA-2 from the XPA series for Martin Logans. Said they couldn't guarantee the XPA-3 or XPA-5 wouldn't go into protection mode. He recommended the XPR-5 for me. I asked about the XPR-1 1,000 watt monoblocks and he seemed to think it would only be a subtle audio change over the XPR-5 if I used RCA's (which the Denon preouts are) and not a fully balanced XLR system.

SubSolar thanks for the info on the adapter. Emotiva told me the same thing. he told me to go with the xpr-5 also. We'll see. So many decisions. lol

I would consider a used sunfire cinema grand signature (5 channel amp).... These amps are brutes ... have a nice sonic signature etc... I'm guessing you could get one for around 1500 used?? Others may know better. Use the 5 channels for 5 of your speakers and the denon for the other 2... You could also go for the 7 channel amp as well - however, I have not actually heard the 7 channel version. In any case, I would not hesitate to buy used if the right deal came along.

All Emotiva amps are capable of driving ML speakers. They are much better than amp sections in receivers. If you say a Denon 3313 can handle your EM-ESL or Theos then the Emo amps can sure do the job and better. But here is the thing, it's not about the power; it's about sound quality. Emo amp are good for HT but just ok for music, to my ears. Nothing much special. So if you wonder which amp you should get, a XPA2/XPA1 or XPR2/XPR1? The answer is you'll get not much of a difference in sound quality getting one vs the others; they all have the same sound characteristics, not very musical and emotionless. You pretty much just gain more or less headroom. The monoblocks would be more detailed and have better channel separation with better beefier power supply sections and output devices but again, they share the same sound signature. If you listen to music a lot, the only amp from Emotiva I would recommend is their new XPA1L amp, which is class A, or look elsewhere.

Last edited:
danvu, thanks for the reply and info. I listen to music and ht equally. What amp would you recommend? I'm also looking at the Mcintosh MC8207. What do you think?

Hi Juan,

Your question is a very difficult one to answer and any responses are subjective at best.

If possible, find a local dealer that allows you to audition gear in your own system.

This is about the most bomb proof way to ensure that YOU made the right decision.

Good luck.

GG

Juan,

Perhaps Emotiva will offer a 30 day audition / money back option.

Also, don't forget Audio Advisor and other reputable e-companies (Music Direct, Crutchfield, etc.) that do offer this service.

Gordon

There is an innersound amp in the forum classifieds right now for a really good price. It would be a perfect stereo amp for the front two main channels, and then you could use your Denon for the center and surrounds or go with a separate 3-channel amp for those.

.....and also you can find there a link to sanders web page describing what ESL capable amplifier should be like......

This amplifier looks very interesting and for $1600 you'll probably won't find anything better in 2ch amp for ESL

danvu, thanks for the reply and info. I listen to music and ht equally. What amp would you recommend? I'm also looking at the Mcintosh MC8207. What do you think?
In short, you can't go wrong with McIntosh amps. They are powerful, clean, detailed, yet sweet sounding amps for solid state. The guys at Magnolia referred to ML speakers and MCIntosh amps as a match made in heaven. However, they are expensive and you can get the same sound quality or even better for less money with other brands but it requires lots of research and trial and error to get the right match.

Another suggestion is, instead of getting a 5/7 channel amp to drive the whole system, you should get a good stereo amps or monoblocks to drive your L/R (maybe center too), investing in the main fronts first . That would bring your music experience (even movie watching) up a notch. Later on, when you have more budget, get a cheaper, smaller 3/5 channel amp to drive the rest.

Other brands for solid state amps I recommend you look into, beside the Emotiva XPA1L, are Pass Labs, Classe, First Watt, ModWright, Sanders, Monarchy Audio. I think you can find some reviews for some of these brands' models right here in the recommended amps section. But like Gordon said, try to audition them in your system from local dealers that let you loan/return or online retails with good return policies. Sometime, people that sell their used units online (agon, ac) in your local area are willing to bring them to your home to let you try in your system too.

Thanks for the info. I went with the Emotiva XPR-5, I'm gonna try that out. If I like it, I'll keep it and also get an XPR-2 to drive my fronts and l'll use the XPR-5 to drive my center and rears.

Awesome. Good luck and let us know the result. Though I doubt you would later get a XPA-2 for the main fronts. You would go with XPR2 or even XPR1's, or at least XPA-1's. XPA2 would be a downgrade :)

Back