What Was Your Best Upgrade In 2009?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The move from the Cary 306/200 to the Cary CD 306 SACD was very significant, but the upgrade from the Parasound A21 stereo amp to the Parasound JC1 monoblocks was much more rewarding. It was the first upgrade since I've owned MLs that reminded me of when I first upgraded to MLs in the first place. An honorable mention to the upgrade of my audiophile knowledge, with a note of thanks to many of my fellow MLO members.

Gonna have to say the dual JL Fathom f113's. They make me smile everytime I crank it up.

I would say moving up to my ARC Ref 3 from LS 26 followed by replacing 2 Vandersteen subs with a pair of Depth i's and finally new braced frames for my CLS's.

Didn't you get the PrimaLuna this year? Or was that last year? How time flies!
That was last year. I am still pleased with it, apart from the problem I had a month ago. If anything, it seems to sound better after the surgery.

I just recently upgraded my Marantz SA-11S1 CD/SACD player to the Wadia 781i and am very pleased with the upgrade. I have the 170i ipod dock and so can stream lossless files from an ipod through the Wadia DAC, which is awesome. I have just begun to do some serious listening with the new source in place, but so far results are very pleasing.

WOW. I just realized that I did alot of upgrading in 2009.

1. ditched the Denon AVR4800 and got the Anthem Statement D2 processor.
2. added Pass Labs X5 for the center and rear channels
3. added PS Audio Digital Link III DAC
4. ditched my cheesy Sony CD/DVD changer and added Oppo BDP-83 BluRay/CD/SACD/DVD player

I think my best upgrade was the processor upgrade. HUGE difference in sound, especially when using the ARC system to tame the room.

The DAC was a nice upgrade too... My Squeezebox never sounded so good.

Next upgrade: TV?

we'll see.... 2010 looks to be a tough one, as there are major changes happening at work... :(

Just bagged a last minute item this year... for an outstanding price.

A pair of Mark & Daniel Sapphires & stands. Heard these at Bristol 2008 and I can honestly say I have never heard such a good small monitor in my entire life. I kept looking around for a sub - none there. The cone excursions coming out of the bass units had to be seen to be believed, and the Air Motion unit which goes down to about 900Hz sounds sublime.

I'm well pleased...

M&D Sapphire Review

They're not replacing my MLs, BTW... just going in another system;). Side-grade, really:)

Last edited:
I replaced a pair of Vandersteen 1C's in a second system with a pair of Selah Grandeur speakers. These are largeish (22" tall) stand mounts with a scan speak revelator woofer (7") and Raal Ribbon Tweeter (70x20XR), same one as in the new Salk high end speakers, and the Kaiser Kawero. Anyway, for $2000 these monitors sound more natural and detailed than my Vista's, with surprisingly adequate bass. They can't generate the vertical wall of sound like the Vista's but they really have a special sound in smaller rooms.

Attachments

• Grandeur2.jpg
    Grandeur2.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 339
It's a toss-up between my Oracle Delphi TT with SME arm, and my Rega IOS phono pre. I don't think one would be as great without the other.

...McCormack UDP-1 to Simaudio Moon Orbiter, ML Source to ML Vista, ML Logos to ML Stage, Audioquest to MIT Shotgun inter-connects, but I think that hands down the biggest upgrade was having Steve McCormack re-engineer the McCormack MAP-1 Multi-channel analog pre-amp. I would not trake the re-engineered MAP-1 for any other pre-amp that I know of at any price.

This is quite intriguing! The more I investigate McCormack, the more interested I become. Their collective websites could use a LOT of help, tho...

This is quite intriguing! The more I investigate McCormack, the more interested I become. Their collective websites could use a LOT of help, tho...

It is - but that's the only preamp Joe really knows of...:ROFL:

Sorry Joe, couldn't resist.

wow, great thread.. ok, 2009 had several amazing upgrades for my system:

1.) 2 JL Audio Fathom F113's - amazing bass performance that I never knew existed (replaced my beloved Velodyne F1800RII)

2.) Room treatments - DIY Bass Traps behind my SL3's and also several absorbers behind the center and in rear of room. Huge improvement in sound for little $!

3.) Replaced my Theta Casa Nova with the brand new Krell S1200U processor in black! Huge improvement in surround performance and also for 2 channel listening! Super clean and detailed - brings me joy every time I turn it on! Was going to add a DAC but the Krell's internal DAC's sound so good, I do not think I will need an external one! Video board in this unit is also spectacular! Full review to follow at some point in time when I have some free time to spare!

4.) Squeezebox - revolotionized the way I listen to music... Thanks to all the great members on here for the suggestions on this one! No brainer, the future of music playback has arrive imho!

Not sure what is in the works for 2010, but you never know!

c2300
mc275
vpi classic

I built a stand alone analog system and got my music away from all those microprocessors ;) once again I must recommend Shawn at DaVinci Media what a pleasure to deal with he allowed me and my father to audition the modest mc275 against his mc2301 monster mono blocks:drool: via the spire and CLX :drool: he did not even fret when I played around with his nordost odin interconnects changing them from amp to amp.also thanks to Tonepub & Bernard for great advice !

Attachments

• analogracksm.jpg
    analogracksm.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 250
Last edited:
Back