What preamp are you using?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use no preamp at all. I have a Wadia 581i plugged directly into a pair of Electrocompaniet SS monoblock amps or my stereo tube amp (depending on the mood) it's very simple and sounds wonderful. The Wadia has a quality volume control built in and acts as a preamp and also serves as an outstanding DAC for my Squeezebox music server.

The only real disadvantage is that I can't use a turntable without changing a couple of cables and adding a preamp/phono preamp for volume control.

If I didn't have the Wadia I would probably go with the Modwright SWL 9.0SE Signature Edition tube pre. I used Sleepysurf's Modwright in my system for a few days and it was the best sounding preamp I've auditioned with my gear. And that was before he upgraded it to the Tube Rectified Power Supply.

I sold my tube preamp to help fund the Wadia. I may add a preamp back into my system someday but when I do it will have to be something top-notch and probably with tubes like the Cary SLP-05 later model ARC or a Conrad Johnson ACT. Or maybe a ModWright will do. The Modwright is definitely a good value.

What I learned is that the less a preamp does to alter the sound is probably better. More than likely, quality preamps do a better job of handling the delicate audio signal and do much less damage to the signal than a lesser preamp might. A preamp is a critical component with an important job of preserving the signal and possibly even adding some pleasant enhancements along the way.

Last edited:
I am currently using an ARC Ref 3 and loving it. I have been comparing it to one of Roger Sanders' preamps. If you are looking for a great solid state preamp that is designed to be left on all the time, I strongly urge you to give Roger's preamp an audition. It is absolutely neutral, imparting no sound of its own, and does a great job with imaging and soundstaging. A very impressive preamp.

Isn’t awesome how our Martin Logan’s can sound so good with so many different equipment! :music:

I run my Monoliths with a Conrad Johnson PV-14L line stage pre. This has tube outputs and is a very good fit with MLs.

Attachments

• a-pv14.jpg
    a-pv14.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 917
My "baby ref" - ARC LS-26.....amazingly close to the "Ref 3" !

All Plinius setup with the Plinius M8 as preamp. Sounds great as you would expect as it was developed with Plinius gear. Have played with Consonance preamp (12AU7) but way too much gain, nil standby mode and the worry of dc on startup. Different sound, rather than better sound.

Kevin

I'm currently running a Krell KAV-300i as a preamp. It is VERY quiet and has a ton of detail and a very big soundstage.

My only 2 complaints are that it does not have balanced (XLR) outputs to the amps, and that it seems to have that trademark "Krell slam", beaning it's a little too pronounced in the bass sometimes.

Other than that, it's the nicest-sounding preamp I've had, with the possible exception of the Meridian 208 CD player/preamp I owned abou t10 years ago...

--Richard

I use a Meridian 568 processor as my preamp. It is a truly great sounding peice. Build quality is awsome, and the design unique.

565sml.JPG

What I truly dig is the way it handles 2ch sources. It can do direct bypass, or my favorite, it can do the 'TriField' magic and render stereo as a 5.1 soundfield that is so subtle and effective, most people can't tell it was on until I switch back to 2ch. They then immediately ask to go back to TriField.

The Meridian G68 improves on the already excellent 568, and I highly recommend it to anyone looking for a good 2ch/multichannel pre.

Since my system is more complex than most (that’s an understatement ;) ) I have two preamps.

I also use the now rare and coveted Sony TAP-9000ES as both the switcher between the Meridian outputs and the preamp for the two HighDefinition audio and video sources that output 5.1 signals.
It’s very transparent, has IR Volume control that is dead quiet, and in general, just does a great job.
Just checked the fleaBay and one is listed for the original MSRP of $700, man, talk about coveted.

SonyTAP9000ES.jpg

A fellow in my neighborhood owns a 568 and gave quite an impressive demonstration of the Trifield processing. My Theta uses CircleSurround II, which I enjoy as it decodes the 2-channel source without over-processing it, but perhaps not as good as Trifield.

Jon - your post got me thinking. Why doesnt my CBIII have some sort of 2ch bypass feature? The local installer had told me 'no', but further digging in the manual clearly shows an 'analog direct' mode! I'll have to play with that in the future. Since there is no processing of the analog signal, and my subs are on a different dac card, I'd lose use of the front subwoofers unless I connect them directly to the front speakers with the internal sub crossover.

Tj

Thanks for the replys,especially those of you have have tube preamps. Would you say on the average you change your tubes once a year if you leave your equipment on all the time?

No, mine is "on" all the time and I haven't changed tubes in 10 years.

As Tim and the rest of us with tube preamps are saying.......tube life is a "Non-Issue" !!

I'm currently running a Krell KAV-300i as a preamp. It is VERY quiet and has a ton of detail and a very big soundstage.

My only 2 complaints are that it does not have balanced (XLR) outputs to the amps, and that it seems to have that trademark "Krell slam", beaning it's a little too pronounced in the bass sometimes.

--Richard

Have you ever tried using the HT pass through function on the Krell 300i with a seperate preamp plugged in?

Last edited:
I'm fairly 'plain vanilla' with a Sunfire TGP-5 and Sunfire TGA-7400 driving my Summits (plus Theater and others ... see my system if curious). I like this combination because the "Current" output connection to the mains provide tube-like characteristics. Since our system used probably 75% HT, along with being in our family room, IMO the incremental improvement I'd get going to higher-end or tube pre-amp/amp isn't worth the cost and effort. (Of course this could be different if I had a dedicated listening room or home theater ... but I don't and I don't foresee that changing.)

Last edited:
Ayre K1xe - It is solid state, but sounds much more tubey than many tube preamps, such as McIntosh.

If you want tubes (as mentioned above, tube life not a real issue), the BAT 51SE equipment rocks my world. Unbelievable texture.

Once you get to a certain price point of $1-2K difference, there is no true better. It is just different and your preference decides.

Last edited:
Once you get to a certain price point of $1-2K difference, there is no true better. It is just different and your preference decides.

David,

You mean that a difference in price of $1-2K or a preamp costing $1-2K total?

Joey

I use a Primare I21 integrated.
It sounds a lot more solid state than most tube amps, so that's why I like it:D

David,

You mean that a difference in price of $1-2K or a preamp costing $1-2K total?

Joey

I mean that when you hit a certain price point range - within that price point it becomes personal preference - assuming you don't absolutely hate a product's sonic signature.

Last edited:
OT- Another issue

As Tim and the rest of us with tube preamps are saying.......tube life is a "Non-Issue" !!

Agreed, what is a bigger issue for me is the wasting of power by leaving on components that are not being used. Consider that if you only leave your pre-amp on 24/7 it is on 8766 hours per years. If we assume an average energy consumption of 25 watts/hr at idle, which is probably very conservative, as tube electronics specifically are not known for their efficiency, then one pre-amp left on uses 219150 watts of power per year. This is equivalent to .219150 MwH per year. If we assume that each MwH of electricity from coal (the most common fuel used to generate electricity) generates 1 ton of CO<sub>2</sub> emissions than each pre-amp left on generates .21915 tons (438.3 pounds) of CO<sub>2</sub>/year. This relates only to pre-amps, if one leaves on ones amp 24/7 than the energy wasted and CO<sub>2</sub> generated is greater. Not mentioned are the sulfates, nitrates and other pollution generated.

I turn my system off when not in use. Waiting thirty minutes to one hour for "good" sound isn't that onerous a task, considering. My $.02!

Oh yeah, TAD-150 pre-amp.

I use an ACT2/series 2 from CJ in my main system (4 6H30 tubes..) and shut it off at the end of the day. My other system currently has the Nagra PL-L which uses 3 12AX7's and also gets shut off end of day.

But if you are going solid state and don't want to monkey around with tubes, here's a couple we've tried that were very good:

The BAT VK-42SE. Definitely one of the most neutral and open solid state units I've heard.

A little bit off the beaten path are the preamps from Klyne Audio arts. These are some pretty sweet sounding preamps but hard to find... Definitely worth the trouble and sometimes you can find them used for about 2500 bucks!

Latest posts

Back