What phono stages are you using and why did you pick that one?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Before you buy a PH7, I'd look for a nice clean REF (the old one) phono. It's an amazing preamp and much bigger sound than the PH7.....

Now the new REF is another story!

Before you buy a PH7, I'd look for a nice clean REF (the old one) phono. It's an amazing preamp and much bigger sound than the PH7.....

Now the new REF is another story!
Jeff, I value your presence here for comments just like that one.

Phono Stage upgrade

1. What phono stage (or stages) are you currently using?

Audio Research PH3

2. What made you pick that one (those ones)?

Company reputation for tube units. Never really auditioned it but purchased it on a whim used on the Gon. Price was right and it was light years better than the aged phono section I was using out of the Phase Linear pre-amp (which is long retired and now just a museum piece on the shelf).

3. Are you planning to change phono stages in the near future, and if so, which ones are you considering?

Yes I am considering upgrading, most likely to a ARC PH5 or PH7. This will happen before or after I upgrade the turntable as well. I am looking at a VPI Aries III with the 10.5i tonearm or a VPI SuperScout Master - on the used market.

You will thoroughly enjoy the Aries III with the 10.5i tonearm. One of my tables is an original Aries although it has been upgraded with a flywheel and HRX Acrylic platter, and newer motor. You get very close to the HRX in terms of quiet and the VPI sound that a lot of people enjoy. It also allows you to use a wide range of cartridges and it is very easy to have interchangeable tone arm wands so you can have more than one cartridge in your system if desired.

Unless you are an inveterate tube roller and would not consider solid state preamplifiers, you might also consider the Pass Labs XP series (15 or 25). These are extremely musical units and allow considerable adjustment for cartridges and output. They do not have the SS edginess and have some of the warmth that tube owners seem to like.

Jeff, I value your presence here for comments just like that one.

Thanks Bernard. With all the excitement on the new REF, there are a lot of great first generation REF's floating around for a very good price. You really can't go wrong either way.

I am still anxiously awaiting the current REF for review. I've heard it at a few friends houses and have been very impressed.

Though I'm also digging this Boulder too..

1. What phono stage (or stages) are you currently using?

ARC PH-5

2. What made you pick that one (those ones)?

Being a hybrid design (JFET input) with four 6922 tubes provides an overall pleasing presentation to my ears, some feel it does have upper freq compression issues, fortunately I'm old enough that part of the spectrum is not overly critical for me !

3. Are you planning to change phono stages in the near future?

No sir

This will happen before or after I upgrade the turntable as well. I am looking at a VPI Aries III with the 10.5i tonearm or a VPI SuperScout Master - on the used market.

As a current owner of the Aries III with 10.5i arm I too give it a warm and hearty recomendation !

Back