What do you NOT like about the sound of your MLs?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For other Ascent owner's - best addition you can make is a Descent assuming decent source and amps. This really helps the speaker sound a lot fuller. A warm cable like Nordost Red Dawn is a big plus, plus some tube amps on the panels. If your tube amp lacks clout, the Rich's sugestion of solid state or even class Ds on the bass drivers is well worth exploring.

Also, for non-Ascent owner's, please let me stress that this speaker is absolutely fantastic for the price you will have to pay for them.

Great post, Justin. Thanks for taking the time to give such a thoughtful reply. I don't have time to answer every point in depth, but I will respond to a few points. If I skip something you want me to respond to, just let me know and I will make an effort to do so.

I see how you’ve read that, Rich – it wasn’t meant to be discrediting, but I see your point 100%. But I do believe there’s a grain of truth in it, no?

I can only respond based on what I have heard. If I had heard this midbass thinness, I would agree with you. But I haven't. And I have listened pretty extensively to Summits, Ascents, Prodigies, and less extensively to Vantages, Vistas, and Monoliths. So I have a pretty good breadth of experience to draw my conclusions from.

Hey hold on – read some of the other posts: danman, Beakman, JFM etc... aren’t they agreeing – at least partially in some cases?

Yes, they are. What I said was that I have never heard of anyone mention this in the past. Once you brought it up, some people agreed with you. That doesn't surprise me. But in this very active forum, it has never been brought up before as an issue that I am aware of. I have never heard it mentioned by a dealer or in a review of a Martin Logan speaker. As I said before, as many times as ML speakers have been reviewed, you would think at least one reviewer would point this out if it was a true limitation of the speaker.

Also, I think that the fact that you only had a few people agree with you on such an active forum of ML users pretty well makes the point that this isn't an issue for most people. Which goes back to my point that it is not an inherent flaw in the ESL panel or with ML speakers particularly, but a system/room integration issue.

As regards to specific frequencies, it’s difficult to be specific. But I always hear said “thinness” coming from the panel.

Well, this is part of our problem is a question of labeling. You said it was a mid-bass thinness, but the frequency range of the panel is more in the midrange and treble. The woofer handles more of the bass and midbass. This also doesn't really comport with your statement that the CLX doesn't have this problem because of the dual-membrane bass panel, which pretty much handles the same frequencies as the woofer in the hybrid models. The ESL panel on the CLX is no different than that on the newer model speakers like the Summit. Do you understand why I am saying that your reasoning about this issue is full of conflicting statements that don't seem to make a lot of sense? You blame the thinness on the single membrane panel, but say the CLX doesn't exhibit it, even though it also uses a single membrane panel for the same frequencies.

Rich – it has a load of air in between the film – so it’s at least twice as heavy overall plus the mass of the air it has to move back and forth. So, no, I don’t agree here.

One film is essentially massless. The weight of the diaphragm is miniscule. Two films would be miniscule times two. The weight of the air between the films? You have got to be kidding me. It is so small you could barely measure it. And you are comparing this to cone drivers which weigh anywhere from several grams to several ounces. It's like comparing the weight of a drop of water to a gallon of water. Sorry, but this is just not a reasonable explanation for the phenomenon you are hearing.

Now that is just the lowest of the low there... what a load of tosh!!! Of course I can be wrong.

. . .

Haven’t you ever been convinced you were right about something – only to find out you weren’t?

Me? No, never. :p Sorry to offend you. Some comments you have made in the past lead me to make that comment, including this one in this particular thread:

I appreciate many may think I am wrong here. I don't think I am, though, and that's what counts!

I understand you were probably joking, but you do come off with a know-it-all attitude sometimes. No problem. I probably do to. As you said, no shortage of egos on this forum.

Provide some scientific proof for this one (your grill theory) and even then I’d find it hard to swallow. But it would add weight to your argument.

Actually, Justin, I thought it was pretty common knowledge. Acoustically transparent grill cloth has a minor effect on the higher frequencies (lowering them by between .5 db and 1 db) but has no measurable effect on lower mid and bass frequencies due to the nature of these longer wavelenths. Sorry, but I am not going to go to the trouble to find a cite to a scientific text for you, but if you do a little research on acoustic science you will find that I am correct. If anyone else on the board with knowledge of this wants to weigh in, I would appreciate that too.

No, Rich, but as I have indicated, some here seem to be in agreement – read the other posts. I don’t think Ken did say anything. But then you yourself have stated how little reviews mean to you, in no uncertain terms. The Spire review is online, though, together with the frequency response and waterfall plots.

True, I don't put a lot of stock in reviews. But if there were an inherent defect, I would expect it to come out in some reviews at some point in time (just as the small sweet spot or poor bass integration are talked about in reviews). The Spire review appears to be unavailable except to subscribers of HiFi+. If you have a link to it, please provide it and I will be happy to read and learn what I can about their measured frequency anomaly. But I was unable to find it on my own without having a subscription.

I was able, however, to pull up this Stereophile review of the Prodigy. Their measurements don't show anything that might account for your issues. In fact, J.A. stated it was the best electrostatic speaker he had ever measured and that the response trend was basically smooth and flat up to 10 khz. Larry Greenhill raved about the bass and midrange in his review. I bring this up because the Prodigy is the same generation of ML as your Ascent. My own experience with both the Prodigy and the Ascent reflects the comments made in this review.

All of this is just meant to point out that the problem may not be an inherent flaw in the speaker or the electrostatic panel, but with your setups.

No, I haven’t tried bi-amping my Ascents. Nor do I feel the need to – very happy with the bass and the Descent – as I have already said.

Ahhhh, very interesting. You see, here I think you are missing something major. You assume biamping the Ascents will only help the bass. You have no idea how wrong you are. Let me give you a quick synopsis of my experience. I had my Ascents hooked up to a Conrad Johnson Premier 140 tube amp. Plenty of power from those four 6550's per side and I thought it sounded incredible. But, on suggestions from others, I played with biamping them. I put some cheap Outlaw audio monoblocs on the woofers (200 wpc) and I was totally blown away at the improvement in sound from top to bottom.

Yes, the bass was a little deeper, tighter, and better sounding, as I expected. But what I didn't expect was how much more the midrange and treble opened up. Smoother, deeper, and more liquid midrange, sweeter, more extended treble, better dynamics and imaging. The entire sound, top to bottom, improved by an order of magnitude! This was a completely unexpected surprise. I think you are doing yourself a big disservice by not at least experimenting with biamping these speakers. You really are not experiencing what they are truly capable of.

As I have said quite a few times, the walls in my room are plasterboard, with insulation behind it. It is the “deadest” room my MLs have ever lived in by far. But yes, you are right, I have never tried any “real” treatments. But I have hung three towels against the wall (trying to see what the effect of actually spending money might have) and not liked the results. I like some rear wave reflection – it does add space and air to the sound.

I don't mean to insult you here, Justin, but with this statement you just revealed your complete ignorance of acoustics. First of all, plasterboard is not "dead." Just the opposite, it is very live and reflective in the at all frequencies. And the insulation behind it will do little to alleviate this. And sorry, but towels, blankets, etc. are not acoustic treatments and will not give you much idea of what acoustic treatments can do for you. They will only have an absorptive effect on the highest frequencies, leaving the mid and bass frequencies to bounce around, muddying your imaging and totally screwing with your mid-bass and bass response. Do a little research on room nodes, standing waves, bass trapping, etc. and you will learn about a whole facet of this hobby which you seem to have no clue about at this time. Your ability to appreciate your audio system, no matter what speakers you use, will benefit tremendously from this knowledge.

I am not even talking about dampening the rear wave here. I am talking about proper absorption of sidewall reflections (to improve imaging) and proper bass trapping. The biggest hindrance to getting proper sound in the mid-bass and bass in just about any listening room is uneven frequency response caused by room nodes, which can really only be solved with proper bass trapping.

I personally believe that if you biamped your Ascents and put in a few bass traps, you would have a very different take on the quality of sound coming from your speakers. You would not believe the difference. You would wonder how you listened to them all those years before. Just my opinion, of course, but it comes from direct experience doing it both ways. And I firmly believe that the acoustic treatments will improve your sound with any speakers, not just the ML's.

Good luck with the Apogees. I hope it works out well for you no matter which way you end up going. Enjoy the journey.

Hi Irishtom,

When you talk about dynamics, are you talking spl's?

If that is the case, what db range do you typically listen at?

GG

My only real bitch was a weather related issue, believe it or not, some nice older adobe homes out here in the desert do not have A/C, they have swamp cooler's and yes, we get some frog strangler storms here in the summer :(!

My speaker's sounded like a wet blanket was laid over them one year after we got 7 inches of rain in 3 straight days, it took weeks for them to 'dry' out. My new place has A/C so I can't say much other than I have lot's of other cone speaks to listen to when the mood strikes, my 'new' favs are some JBL L-56's which are spooky good with a well recorded drum kit at high SPL's

gotta agree with Rich on the room treatments...

I've always been a big believer in something behind my panels and off to the side to catch that first reflection, but adding the big GIK Tri Traps in my room did more to even out the bottom end and clean up the mid bass than I ever dreamed of.

That 1500 bucks worth of room treatment has been the biggest improvement in my system I've ever experienced.

Might be worth looking into, no matter what kind of speakers you end up with!

That 1500 bucks worth of room treatment has been the biggest improvement in my system I've ever experienced.

Absolutely. I couldn't agree more. And I imagine it would provide the biggest bang for the buck sound improvement upgrade in most people's systems.

Hi Irishtom,

When you talk about dynamics, are you talking spl's?

If that is the case, what db range do you typically listen at?

GG

Yes, SPLs pretty much define dynamics or are at least a very important part of them. A speaker that gets louder than another pretty much has better dynamics. I think of dynamics as the difference between the noise floor and ultimate output, like a 0-60 time with a car.

Of course distortion enter into this as well; if a speaker gets louder but breaks up and sounds distorted that's wasted dynamics. A speaker that gets louder gracefully may have better subjective dynamics than a speaker that gets louder but with distortion.

I don't listen to my hi-fi all that loudly, I doubt I get over 90-95 db very often. Which is one reason I'm so keen on my MLs--within the volume range I use them they are clear as a bell and have excellent "jump" and subjective quickness. Some people call that virtue good micro-dynamics and it's a useful term.

I didn't listen to horns just for their dynamics, I think good horns have a clarity and sense of liveliness that most direct radiators can't match. In fact the only direct radiators I think compare to horns are electrostats. Thus my use now of MLs. ESL fans who don't hang with hornys might be surprised to learn how many hornys hold ESLs in high regard.

gotta agree with Rich on the room treatments...

I've always been a big believer in something behind my panels and off to the side to catch that first reflection, but adding the big GIK Tri Traps in my room did more to even out the bottom end and clean up the mid bass than I ever dreamed of.

I could not agre more here - the main problem is room treatments... Please look in the acoustical thread to view the available room treatments for purchase and also DIY (in my case).

There is really nothing I dislike about my ML Sl3's besides:
1.) no bass - that is what they make subs for ( I bought 2 JL Fathoms and never looked back!)
2.) small sweet spot - not that big of a deal, as I am usually the one who sits in the sweet spot anyway!

Everything else is fantastic if you have the properly treated room....

ESL fans who don't hang with hornys might be surprised to learn how many hornys hold ESLs in high regard.

I like the horn thing too, but like ESL's, you need a big room to really get the most out of em!

Done right though, it's a very cool experience!

Hi Rich,

I am a well qualified engineer with 25 years experience just to let you know - I do know a little bit about some things techie... anyway, that aside, here are some points. I'm going to be quite terse and to the point. But I am going to be nice:)

1) At no stage did I ever complain about mid-bass thinness. Go back and re-read. So your points about mid-bass issues kind of wastes quite a bit of your post. That's life, I guess:)

2) You have mis-understood or not read my comments about the CLX properly.

3) I suspect the CLX uses thicker film for the bass drivers than the single film drivers. It certainly looked it in the flesh. Does anyone know if that is true? And yes, air doesn't weigh much, but it has to be moved in between two bits of film i.e. there are also inertial aspects to consider - but I am not saying they are massive.

4) Absolute Sounds has the Spire review, which is at: http://www.absolutesounds.com/index.php?page=17&category=review

5) I have heard the Summit extensively during a booked demo with a powerful Krell. I have also heard the Spire with a S-300i. I also posted what I thought about Spire bass when driven by a Krell before Ken's review came out. I'm not a fan of what I heard in the bass dept with the Spire and here's why - initially it sounds deeply impressive - then you realise that your ears are focusing on that area of the reproduction to the exclusion of others.

With my setup that doesn't happen. One of the top aspects of my amps is their even handedness of the handling of the entire frequency range. And as I have said, the blend with the class D Descent really surprised me. It's a great bottom end. No issues with it. These amps sound (to me) better than any KT88/6550 amp I have ever heard, and I have heard a few, and owned one (Air Tight ATM2).

6) The plasterboard is relatively dead, Rich. Tap tests confirm it. As I said, it has insulation behind it, touching the plasterboard. It is far less reflective acoustically than the brick walls my Logans have had to deal with in the past. The room is also semi-basement, with a solid concrete floor. As a long time friend commented "your system sounds much better in this room than the last one".

7) Acoustic panels may make a positive impact for non-rear wave reflection. I ought to try 'em sometime. The towel bit was just a bit of fun to see the effect - I never claimed they were properly designed or purpose built:) But they did give an idea of "some damping" of the rear wave.

8) Much of the tuning and selection of components for my system has been done to reduce the tendency towards "thinness" with certain music.

9) I take the grills of my Ascents and Decent, precisely because I can hear a marked difference. I have recommended this to another here - and he reported an improvement.

As you should know, I have heard loads of kit and been to loads of shows - and posted my thoughts at various shows with lots of pics here. I have also made some technical contributions. I know what I like, and I know what I hear. I've been at it for 30 years. And my system is tuned, and has been tuned, around getting the best out of MLs for nearly two decades...

Time to experiment with something else... and I will say, those Apogees are going to have to be good to earn a place of residence chez Justin:)

Justin

PS had a great NIN session last night. Not much sign of thinness in the replay of any of those recordings... and the 24/96 stuff is just brilliant. Great - gobsmacking sonics - and stunning bass!!!

Last edited:
6) The plasterboard is relatively dead, Rich. Tap tests confirm it. As I said, it has insulation behind it, touching the plasterboard. It is far less reflective acoustically than the brick walls my Logans have had to deal with in the past.

Everything is relative and plasterboard aka gypsum drywall is not well suited for acoustic room treatment e.g. absorbtion of first reflections, etc. Below is a comparison of drywall with 2" OC705 - one of the most commonly used materials for acoustic treatment.

vjexz.jpg

Figures represent the % of the frequency absorbed i.e. 0.5 = 50% absorbed. As one can see, drywall is reflecting 90-97% of the soundwave.

http://www.bobgolds.com/AbsorptionCoefficients.htm
http://www.thomaspeters.co.za/dut/2A/Absorbtion coefficients.pdf

What about drywall versus solid brick, covered with plaster? That might not be typical is US homes, but it is here... and it is the environment my Logans have lived in most of the time.

Drywall held by wood supports rings pretty badly when tapped. But with insulation behind it, it doesn't. I would have thought that was pretty relevant, and would change those readings.

Just thinking out loud... but yeah, I agree that isn't and will in no way be as dead as an acoustic treatment. I should hope so, anyway!

Looks like the answer is in the stats... will check it out properly tomoz...

Last edited:
Checked it out now... looks like drywall is better at lower freqs... love to know the measurements for "insulation backed". It's possible that at higher frequencies, the insulation backing might not make that much difference, but I am only guessing.

Last edited:
Checked it out now... looks like drywall is better at lower freqs... love to know the measurements for "insulation backed". It's possible that at higher frequencies, the insulation backing might not make that much difference, but I am only guessing.
I'm guessing you're right!;)

Justin, WAF-permitting, you owe it to yourself to experiment with proper acoustic treatments. Although I was intellectually prepared for the sonic improvements, the reality still surprised me. One of, if not the biggest improvement I've made in my system, and I've made quite a few this past year.

If you've not done so, I heartily recommend reviewing the many articles and videos to be found on Ethan's site: http://www.realtraps.com/info.htm

/Ken

At no stage did I ever complain about mid-bass thinness. Go back and re-read.

Really? Well, I guess I got that impression from your very first post, where you explained:

There is no cure here, apart from the CLX, which cludges the thin film high freq. driver with what I predicted as a thicker sounding mid/bass unit.

When you say the "cure" is a "thicker-sounding mid-bass unit," it sure sounds like you are complaining about mid-bass thinness. But then, these constant contradictions are why I asked you to specifically identify the frequency range you felt was thin. You never bothered to to so.

I suspect the CLX uses thicker film for the bass drivers than the single film drivers.

:confused: I can't very well argue with "I suspect . . ."
I suspect it doesn't? I suspect it doesn't matter? I suspect you are still talking apples to oranges.

One of the top aspects of my amps is their even handedness of the handling of the entire frequency range.

That's wonderful. And I fully suspect they will sound much better if allowed to just drive the panel, with some form of solid state amp on the woofers. You still don't know what your Ascents are capable of, in my opinion.

6) The plasterboard is relatively dead, Rich. Tap tests confirm it. As I said, it has insulation behind it, touching the plasterboard. It is far less reflective acoustically than the brick walls my Logans have had to deal with in the past.

So you are saying basically that this listening environment is far less of a horrible listening environment than your last one, so why would you need acoustic treatments? Smashing logic! Plasterboard (insulation-backed or not) is a horrible acoustic surface for audio reproduction. It is highly reflective at all frequency ranges, causing smearing, comb filtering, and standing waves.

Dealing with these acoustic issues will make your system sound better no matter what speakers you have in there.

interesting - this turned into a room treatment thread .. anyway - the timing couldn't be more perfect.... Justin - I too have drywall behind my odysseys - with insulation and a cement wall behind it (I'm in the basement too)... The room does seem dead to me - and the drywall doesn't seem reflective... However, I got crazy - and I am really cheap sometimes - so I had 2 4' X 6' down filled blankets that I hung about 2 inches from my front wall - behind each speaker... I then took a cushion off of a pappazon chair (in case you don't know - a big round fluffy filled cushion) and crammed it in a corner (my el cheapo bass trap).... My odysseys are about 6' from the front wall...The blankets made a very, very,nice difference - one of those 'oh, yeah' moments......I started peeling thru my cds and the additional depth / soundstage and lack of glare was very very worth it. High WAF too :) - I should post a pic.......

I too have drywall behind my odysseys - with insulation and a cement wall behind it (I'm in the basement too)... The room does seem dead to me - and the drywall doesn't seem reflective... of glare was very very worth it. High WAF too :) - I should post a pic.......
Drywall does not absorb either, just look at the specs posted by RUR.

Ah yes a "Cement Bunker" for audio, I know it well :D

As Ethan has pointed out many times, people really do not know the real effect rooms have on the sound. Many think that they are not getting bright sound or sound quality affected by the room. Yet once one does some testing (blankets, pillows, etc) then takes the next step and has proper room treatments applied (absorption/diffraction), they then realize how much better their rigs can sound.

In a "Cement Bunker" most do not realize how much room gain you are getting in the low end which can mask mid and high problem. So add some real bass treatments with 4"-6" panels (Corners floor to ceiling if you can) and some HF 2" treatments at first reflection and behind the panels and your rig will again take another significant step up in performance.

All this this for a fraction of the cost of our beloved ML's, new components, cables, etc. They can also be moved, can be in any color you like, and now can even have you favorite pictures on them.

GIK Acoustics and Real Traps are great companies to deal with and offer great products.

Welcome to the "Treatment Club..."

do you have no room treatments? some nice acoustical panels would make a huge improvement I could never listen to my speakers without some kind of treatments

. . . so I had 2 4' X 6' down filled blankets that I hung about 2 inches from my front wall - behind each speaker... I then took a cushion off of a pappazon chair (in case you don't know - a big round fluffy filled cushion) and crammed it in a corner (my el cheapo bass trap)....

:eek: Daddy?

Back