What do you do when listening to your system?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mosttoysrk

Reaction score
I find it harder and harder to just concentrate and take the time to just sit and listen to my system. I find I will start to browse the net, read a magazine multitask.
In my younger days, no problem just sitting for hours listening.. is it me or are there others that experience the same phenomena.
I know if I had an Ipad I probably would always have that in my hands when listening.

I can verify than an iPad is an excellent accessory for the home theater ;)

Wife is using now, and I'm on the laptop.

But when really good music, like the latest Porcupine Tree BluRay - Anesthetize, which just arrived, I watched, listened to that with no interupptions.

But I admit, about 50% of 'listening' is acompanied by the laptop or a magazine.

Time Travel. My butt stays in the chair, but my mind goes back to... how about 1948 and there's McKinley Morganfield (Muddy Waters) and Big Crawford on upright bass and Hey, that's Sunnyland Slim on piano. Then the damn phone rings. Ack!

Nope sorry. I just sit and listen. Usually with my eyes closed. I usually only manage time one hour sessions about 3-5 times per week though. But the rest of the time I don't generally have the system on at all. I don't like noise when I'm doing other things.

So I guess I'm that much of a purist. Listening is listening. Other things are other things. The two don't combine.

I do however have a lesser system (ML-less with another Squeezebox) out in the living area that gets used in evenings/over dinner/etc with Last.FM or other internet radio like RadioIO or BBC world.

I listen from about 9am to about 10pm almost every day, but concentrated listening about 2 hours a day and for fun listening about an hour a day.

I close my eyes, lean back and listed to smooth jazz for about an hour before and after work each day. It can be a great relaxier - but sometimes it is hard to get back up. (sigh)

Nope sorry. I just sit and listen....

So I guess I'm that much of a purist. Listening is listening. Other things are other things. The two don't combine.
Likewise. Sometimes I do have a nice glass of Sancerre or NZ Sauvignon Blanc.

Sometimes I practice my bass along with the stereo or just listen to the great bass players ( Paul Chambers, Oscar Pettiford, Ray Brown, Willie Dixon, etc., etc., etc.) and try to put myself in their heads.

Also like to read the liner notes and album info on the back of the album covers. My eyes aren't good enough to read the writing on cd's. But when the music gets cookin', I have to put the sleeve down and just listen.

For Happy Hour with friends, the reel to reel can play some nice Tiki Bar Lounge Best Of tapes, Brasil '66, Henry Mancini, Martin Denny, Les Baxter, etc. I can be bartender or maybe even bust a move on the floor, ha, ha...

Sometimes I practice my bass along with the stereo or just listen to the great bass players ( Paul Chambers, Oscar Pettiford, Ray Brown, Willie Dixon, etc., etc., etc.) and try to put myself in their heads.
Hey Satch, do you have the Chesky CD "Entre Amigos" with Rosa Passos and Ron Carter? I really enjoy listening to it.

Hey Bernard,

Thanks for the reminder, just put it on a sticky-note. Couldn't find a copy last time I looked. Love that kind of stuff.

Ray

Serious listening is almost always after dinner and usually accompanied with a beverage of choice ! rarely is it more than three alblums.

Serious listening is almost always after dinner and usually accompanied with a beverage of choice ! rarely is it more than three alblums.

Is that one beverage per album Dave?

If I get a chance to listen at night I usually have a beverage of choice as well. I also do serious listening in the mornings on the weekends (beverage of choice being coffee); that's why I started the Sunday Morning Music thread several years ago.

When I'm doing serious listening I'm usually not doing anything else (save for reading liner notes). That's mostly on vinyl, thus it seems to command my attentention both because of the interaction required and I find it most engaging.

When I'm listening to CD/SACD/Sonos I often times find myself reading something or browsing the web.

We always have music on out on the deck too - that's always the Sonos set to random playlists. That usually involves beverages too.

I listen from about 9am to about 10pm almost every day, but concentrated listening about 2 hours a day and for fun listening about an hour a day.
Jeff,
I know that this is your job but the amount of time listening is amazing, that shows true devotion, or you just love what you do. What a lucky guy.

I try to dedicate a hour a day to concentrated listening. However, my mind does wander from time to time.

I thought this question was a bit personal at first, but then I saw all these other guys posting what they actually do while listening to their systems and so I was encouraged......... so here goes.

My whole system is predicated on the idea of producing very high sound pressure levels. High enough to stun and incapacitate. It costs a lot but is well worth it.

When you get a female in the room and can listen to the right music....if you know what I mean....then once she is under so to speak...you can have your......okay truth is I read comic books and murder mysteries, probably like a lot of you....unless I am listening to Pink Floyd then a drop a couple hits and......okay still reading comic books....is there anything else to do while listening to music?;)

Hm - my listening habits have changed.

I usually like a beer or three... and it is usually a 3-4 hour session about 3 times per week. But what seems to be odd is I now spend nearly all that time in the listening room, as opposed to about half of it in the adjoining kitchen. Volume levels also seem to be markedly lower. Very good sign, I think.

Oh - I forgot to mention the 98 spliffs that also get smoked per session. No wonder my panels never lasted:)

Okay - so I'm joking. I think:D

Is that one beverage per album Dave?

not always, sometimes it's a 'dram per side' !...........:eek:

We always have music on out on the deck too - that's always the Sonos set to random playlists. That usually involves beverages too.

'beverages of choice' and music do go well together !

Right now, after beer number two, I'm listening to Rodrigo y Gabriela Live In Tokyo with a freakin' huge grin on my face, and, well, I must admit, the volume fairly cranked.

Incredible. Even if I only listen to it once in a while. These guys are just amazing. Well OK - guy and girl:)

Back